Odd question vmware. Esx on a laptop, wifi?

I don't think that you should even bother. I have done it on a laptop via the wire for doing P2V stuff at a remote site. Always via Cat5 though.

I have heard it installs and has no issues on Dell D630s but only with the wired connection. I dont know for sure tho, second hand info.

I've done it on an EliteBook 8440W and EliteBook 8560W. No wireless though. I had to get a customized install for the 8560W, as the intel Ethernet wasn't recognized...

WiFi won`t work, not only are there no drivers bundled with ESXi for any WiFi adapters, but even if there was, there is no support for wireless networking(connecting to a SSID, etc) built into ESXi.

Essentially without a whole lot of custom module and driver creation work, it isn`t possible. The only realistic way you could use the built-in WiFi adapter is if the laptop supports VT-d/IOMMU and you pass the WiFi adapter to a VM. Even then it might not work.

I have heard it installs and has no issues on Dell D630s but only with the wired connection. I dont know for sure tho, second hand info.

You're correct. This is what I have used.

If you need wifi so badly, you can use netgear wnce2001/3001 or similar ethernet -> wifi bridge. ESXi do not include wifi drivers and wifi userspace tools, and it's impossible to port them.

I have my test machine on wifi. After I commandeered my formerly two person office and declared "I have no more space in there." My test setup is now in the hall on a drafting table! No ethernet so I grabbed a dd-wrt from the closet and set it up in client bridge mode. RDC seemed sluggish, but good enough.

Heh, last weekend I borrowed a laptop from work hoping I could install and test XenServer on it so I didn't having to take down my own server. None of the nic's were recognized. I ended up installing it on the server anyways and the nic on the motherboard isnt even supported! :mad:

Heh, last weekend I borrowed a laptop from work hoping I could install and test XenServer on it so I didn't having to take down my own server. None of the nic's were recognized. I ended up installing it on the server anyways and the nic on the motherboard isnt even supported! :mad:

what kind of server ? what kind of network card ?

what kind of server ? what kind of network card ?

It's just a cheap asus M4A785-M with the on-board Realtek nic.. I'm not too concerned because I can get a dedicated pci-e card with an Intel 82574L chip if need be.

I've actually decided to start playing with Proxmox instead though and it seems to work with the nic on the server. I haven't even bothered with it on the laptop...

Back