Norco 4020 Fan Replacement

nitrobass24

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - December 2009
Im looking to replace the fans in my 4020 and had some questions.

I want to put 120s in the middle fan bracket, and im confused on which ones to get.
I want to have just as good as cooling as before and I think I could get some high speed 120's and get equally good airflow with lower noise.
What have you guys done?

Secondly what are some good 80mm fans?

I am also adding the LianLi Expansion slot cooler for more exhaust so I can get quieter 80s.

Aren't the fans in the middle bracket 80mm's on the 4020? I think they're 92mm's on the 4220; and I heard someone made a custom fan bracket for 120's, but I don't know if they ever made a stock one. If so, how will you fit 120mm's?

Aren't the fans in the middle bracket 80mm's on the 4020? I think they're 92mm's on the 4220; and I heard someone made a custom fan bracket for 120's, but I don't know if they ever made a stock one. If so, how will you fit 120mm's?

Dremel

i bought a new fan bracket from a fellow [H] member that is for 3x120mm fans. It is nice, I have 3 yate-loon medium speed fans from jab-tech which were like $3 a piece...

drives are below 40*C at all times with high ambient of around 80*F

Do you have a 4020 or 4220?

I talked to him and he made it for the 4220 so im not sure if it will work cause of the mounts.

If someone would make a 3x120 or 3x140 bracket for my 4020, I'd be more than willing to pay if it is professionally done. (laser cut, smooth edges)

I also went the messy 3x140mm route. Simply Concrete taped the three fans together and placed them on the motherboard tray. With the cables going around the outside it is jammed in place. Using only WD greens I say under 40 degrees. I would love a pro wall, but I don't have that kind on moneys laying around :(

If enough people want this I can get something designed but I would have to order at least 20 to get the cost reasonable.

Maybe ill start a poll.

If enough people want this I can get something designed but I would have to order at least 20 to get the cost reasonable.

Maybe ill start a poll.

Hopefully in the next 6 months I'll start my next server.

I'll check to see if it works in the 4020 as well. the 4220 and 4020 look so much the same I would be surprised if the mounting holes for the fan wall changed. If the fan mounting holes haven't changed then this fan wall should be usable in both the 4220 and the 4020.

Can any of you who have both the 4020 and 4220 confirm or refute if the mounting holes for the fan wall are the same or different?

I'll check with the guy making them to see if he knows if they are compatible.

I'm getting one thats for sure :).

Now if we could only make a new power distribution board for the fan wall that allowed the motherboard to control the fan speed... Any EE's out there itching to design something? don't imagine it would be much more than a fancy relay.

The fan plates are quite different, the 4020 has three screws on both the sides and bottom of the plate, where as the 4220 attaches only on the top sidewalls. Also the fan plate looks to be closer to the backplane which would be a problem with the 4020s 5 rows of sata connectors. It does look like the 4020 has the holes to accommodate the 4220 plate though.

Hopefully cavediver or someone else will chime in with an answer.

4020:
http://www.norcotek.com/product_images/rpc-4020s.jpg

4220:
http://www.norcotek.com/product_images/rpc-4220s.jpg

Last edited:
My 4020 does NOT have those top holes.

It is an older revision. So it one were to be made for the 4020, we would want to use the side holes.

The fan board for the 4220 will not work in the 4020. The 4220 case has indents in the top of the case wall for the fan board's screw down tabs. Additionally, the 4020 fan board spans the entire width of the interior of the case and attaches to the case on the sides and the bottom, whereas the 4220 fan board attaches to the case at the top of the case sides and the bottom. Also, as has been mentioned, the 4220 fan board sits very close to the SAS backplanes whereas the 4020 fan board is farther back allowing more room for the SATA cables. I am working on a few modifications/revisions/improvements to the 120mm fan board for the 4220 and will have them available again soon. I'll post a for sale message in the for sale forum when they're available. Since I don't own a 4020 case and will most likely never own one, I will not be making any 120mm fan boards for the 4020. I'll leave that up to someone else.

Anyone using an aftermarket HSF?

I am looking for one that will blow air out the back fans.

I have tried my TRUE but its too tall

Do you have a 4020 or 4220?

I talked to him and he made it for the 4220 so im not sure if it will work cause of the mounts.

i had to mod it slightly. it fits but asis the cover doesnt go on. so i just bent the mounts down and it works fine..

Back