Need help - super slow usb wireless adapater

McClintoc

Fully [H]
I just bought the Edimax EW-7811Un 150Mbps 11n USB wifi adapter for my HTPC (specs in sig). The thing is, it's super slow. I have 45Mbps Internet, the adapter is rated for up to 150Mbps and yet, after installing it, it is only running at 1.5Mbps. It's about 30 feet from my router but it has direct line of site (adapter is plugged into the front of my case and there are no walls nor furniture in the way) and Windows says the signal strength is strong. My google-fu is weak and I can't seem to find how to get this thing running at my ISP's full speed.

Is this thing broken? Will a driver update fix it? Is there something in Windows I need to tweak?

I bought one of those for a laptop once and it was indeed slower than another larger-sized USB wifi adapter I had (a Belkin that stuck out like 2 inches). I bought it because the internal wifi on the time was on the fritz and I didn't want this huge adapter sticking off my laptop. I had to stop using it though because it was about half the speed and would only work at half the range of the Belkin I used.

Small size = not a lot of space for antenna, power circuity, chipset, etc that is powerful enough to work fast or long range. Also, you get what you pay for.

It's not broken, it's always just going to be slow. Get a better wifi adapter (which, no doubt, will be larger in size. and cost more than the edimax).

I figured I'll probably have to get a bigger/better adapter but I thought I read in Amazon reviews that several people managed to get theirs working faster but I can't seem to find those reviews again.

I bought a D-Link DWA-140 300mbps wireless USB adapter to replace the shitty little Edimax one. I have it hooked up to my HTPC upstairs and it is running at max speed so all is well.

Back