need assistance on picking a nas

sparks

2[H]4U
I have 3 in mind
ReadyNas NV+ 4
Thecus N4100PRO
QNAP TS-410-US

these are all 4 drive models...was going with something like 4 2Tb drives.
I like the idea that most support sraid, smart raid, or whatever they call it on each brand, so that you can add drives as you go.
Never seen that work before.

to be honest I was not going to spend $500+ for a box (wish I could) so these were the ones that range from 300-450

I want to use it for backups, drive images, dvd and blu ray iso and mkv shares to my media player. Stuff like that.

I wanted esata 1 does not have it, giga bit network they all have.
Was looking for good software and features.
Ease of setup, use, and admin stuff.
Able to share with about anything.

thanks for any info....you know I could find that the readynas could be upgraded on the memory but I could not find out anything like that on the other 2.

If you have an opinion or a better brand/model less than $500 please post it

The QNAP will probably give you the most and most advanced features and tweakability.
I'm missing Synology on your list.

That HP MicroServer looks cool.. Have you actually used one yet?

Joe...

I ordered one and it shipped today so no review for a week or so.

I have some information to share. Do note I'm very very sceptical about everything. I tend to get to the bottom of things and I try to be as an educted prosumer as I can.

Thecus support is known to be plain bad, terrible at times. They are not very great at fixing bugs either and tend to release few updates. That steered me away from them (just sharing here, you need to make up your own mind).

On the other hand, they seem to be on the better end of performance. Feature wise they aren't the greatest in my opinion (QNAP and Synology are king in that department). Also, they offer the most storage for the $ which is a definite plus.

QNAP offer lots of features and updates (lots of things to fix as they have lots of features). I can't comment on their support too much. It seems OK judging from their forums. Also QNAP's seems to be pretty fast too. I do find their units rather expensive. But since they managed to fail miserably on implementing encrypted storage (really amateuristic vulnerability) I don't trust them anymore. I also find their warranty period to be limited.

My preferred vendor is Netgear. They seems to have the best support (very active support forum too),and reasonable performance (I can't decide where they fit in exactly) .
Downside is I find them to be (too) expensive. Also, their Infant based units are not x86 and are slower than their newer units. They still support them but will they be releasing new updates? They seem to be focussing on x86 software development at the moment.

Hope some of this helps!

I picked up a Synology DS409 in January and love it. If you can find that you might save a bit. 4xHitachi 2TB drives, with a 5th in the closet as a cold spare in case it's needed.

Synology just released firmware version 3 today, up from 2.3. I really like the new version, feature-wise.

It was very funny when I read the reviews of the new DS410.
It is sooooo much slower than the 409.
Cheap motherboard was the answer in the reviews. BUT the price was more than the 409.
Typical cut the quality and raise the price in one move.
That was why I thought Synology was a bad idea.

Back