My 2.2v mem is getting only 1.85v, but everything works fine...

mentok1982

Supreme [H]ardness
So the specifications for my Crucial DDR2 say that it needs 2.2v but according to Abit uGuru
the RAM is getting only 1.85v. Everything on my PC is working fine, including memtest. Should
I increase my RAM voltage or just leave things alone? Maybe uGuru is reading it wrong, but it
appears as 1.85v in the BIOS as well.

Newegg RAM spec link.

The RAM is running at 800MHz and my processor is at the stock 2.66GHz.

So the specifications for my Crucial DDR2 say that it needs 2.2v but according to Abit uGuru
the RAM is getting only 1.85v. Everything on my PC is working fine, including memtest. Should
I increase my RAM voltage or just leave things alone? Maybe uGuru is reading it wrong, but it
appears as 1.85v in the BIOS as well.

Newegg RAM spec link.

The RAM is running at 800MHz and my processor is at the stock 2.66GHz.

Increase it since I guess the BIOS isn't ajusting the voltage automatically, only timings.

Up the voltage manually

Make sure to look at the voltages, go below just incase there is a slight overvolt.

Then start playing with the Mem speed settings.

Also if the board includes by "SPD" settings you can play with those, (some boards call that setting "SLI ready memory)

So both of you are telling me I need to increase the memory voltage. Can you tell me why I
should it? Is it bad for the memory to be running on less than 2.2v?

guys, what the hell is wrong with you?

if it's stable at 1.85v, leave it there. there is no reason to increase voltage beyond what is needed, unless you like reducing the lifespan of your memory needlessly and creating extra heat.

remember, ALWAYS use as little voltage as you can get away with without compromising stability. always.

How is your memory running at 800 Mhz when you're at stock? At 1:1 FSB:DRAM, your memory would be 266 real/533 effective with a QX6700. :confused:

if it's stable at 1.85v, leave it there. there is no reason to increase voltage beyond what is needed, unless you like reducing the lifespan of your memory needlessly and creating extra heat.

remember, ALWAYS use as little voltage as you can get away with without compromising stability. always.

Agreed! If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :cool:

Agreed! If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :cool:

If he is wanting to run it at PC2 8000 (what it is rated, he will need to clock it to that).

Mine runs fine at PC2 6400 at 1.85v and that's what I have it because atm at I do not need it to run faster.

But if he wants to run it at rated he can, but hes going to have to play with the voltage, timings and speed. or BY SPD.

If he is wanting to run it at PC2 8000 (what it is rated, he will need to clock it to that).

Mine runs fine at PC2 6400 at 1.85v and that's what I have it because atm at I do not need it to run faster.

But if he wants to run it at rated he can, but hes going to have to play with the voltage, timings and speed. or BY SPD.

I guess that is really the next question then. The OP has not stated what speed he wants to run his memory. But, if it is PC8000, then you are correct. He will need to increase the voltages.

IMO, OC the CPU at 1:1 and leave the memory and Vdimm alone.

While I agree, imo he probably wouldn't have spent the money on enthusiast style ram if he wasn't wanting to play with it some.

Be it corsair, crucial, OCZ, Gskill, Geil, or any of the other ones, all have to be played with to get to run at rated. Atleast in my opinion if you buy high rate ram, you at sometime, sooner or later will want it to run at that.

cant agree more.

You're running your ram at 800, which is less than the 1000 rated. The big question is what timings. Chances are, the sticks are d9gmh, which many can easily do 800 5-5-5 with 1.85v. If it runs fine, then leave it the way it is. If you're going to be raising clocks or tightening timings, then it probably would require more voltage.

You're running your ram at 800, which is less than the 1000 rated. The big question is what timings. Chances are, the sticks are d9gmh, which many can easily do 800 5-5-5 with 1.85v. If it runs fine, then leave it the way it is. If you're going to be raising clocks or tightening timings, then it probably would require more voltage.

Awesome. Good to know. I spent a few days trying to overclock to 3.2GHz a few weeks ago but when I ran the
fourth Prime95 (one for each core) it always failed. I guess it was because the memory may have needed more
voltage.

My overclock findings, if you are interested.

I have 4gb of the same memory, at 800 I run them 4-4-4-12 @1.85---1000 5-5-5-12 @1.85.

What's with the huge deal made over running your ram at 1:1 ratio? Mine isn't that and it's running at 1150 mhz..granted it was 1066 to begin with. If I linked mine and set it to 1:1 it would try and run at 1400..and it can't do that no matter how much voltage I give it...not trying to crap/jack the thread but I don't see the need to give your ram more voltage than it's requiring to run with good stability.

Back