Rayj00

n00b
I have the following HD on my PC:
disk drive.jpg

And I have purchased and have cloned the HD with this as destination
using Clonezilla:
new ssd.jpg
new ssd box.jpg

Unfortunately I got the motherboard config wrong so I think I need one of these but not sure which one? I’m thinking the bottom one for $29.99? Is that right?

adapters.JPG

Appreciate your help.

What do you mean when you say "I unfortunately got the motherboard configuration wrong."? I don't know what you mean by this.

And what are you trying to do? You asked if the bottom one was right, but you didn't state what you're trying to do.

I'm going to make some assumptions based on the picture to tell you that neither will work. I'm guessing that your MB doesn't have an m.2 slot on it. Hopefully this is not a laptop or thin chassis.

You bought a PCIe NVMe drive, which will never work in a SATA port, no matter the adapter.

If you have a PCIe x4 slot on your board, you can use an m.2 to PCIe adapter card and it should work (if the bios supports NVMe).

What do you mean when you say "I unfortunately got the motherboard configuration wrong."? I don't know what you mean by this.

And what are you trying to do? You asked if the bottom one was right, but you didn't state what you're trying to do.
I am trying to replace the HD disk drive with an SSD. I thought there was a place to plug the NVMe m.2 2280 PCIe Gen 4 SSD on the mother board but I was wrong.
So I am thinking the adapter pictured above for $29.99 would work?

What MB? Get a PCI_e adapter. You will seriously kneecap that NVMe using a SSD adapter. If it even works.

I am trying to replace the HD disk drive with an SSD. I thought there was a place to plug the NVMe m.2 2280 PCIe Gen 4 SSD on the mother board but I was wrong.
So I am thinking the adapter pictured above for $29.99 would work?
It won't.

What is the motherboard/system that you're trying to do this with?

I'm going to make some assumptions based on the picture to tell you that neither will work. I'm guessing that your MB doesn't have an m.2 slot on it. Hopefully this is not a laptop or thin chassis.

You bought a PCIe NVMe drive, which will never work in a SATA port, no matter the adapter.

If you have a PCIe x4 slot on your board, you can use an m.2 to PCIe adapter card and it should work (if the bios supports NVMe).
hd cable.jpg
I assume this is a PCIe x4 connector? The PC is a Dell Inspiron 24 5488 AIO.
You say a PCIe NVMe drive, which will never work in a SATA port, no matter the adapter, yet I am
seeing a lot of articles on "replace a sata HDD with NVMe SSD?" ? I'm confused.

View attachment 602884
I assume this is a PCIe x4 connector? The PC is a Dell Inspiron 24 5488 AIO.
You say a PCIe NVMe drive, which will never work in a SATA port, no matter the adapter, yet I am
seeing a lot of articles on "replace a sata HDD with NVMe SSD?" ? I'm confused.
That's a SATA data and power combo cable. A very similar cable is used for both SAS and U.2 but are completely incompatible.

Just looked up your specs and there is an m.2 slot on the motherboard. Top right, right above the memory slots. Officially supports 2230 and 2280 drives.

That's a SATA data and power combo cable. A very similar cable is used for both SAS and U.2 but are completely incompatible.

Just looked up your specs and there is an m.2 slot on the motherboard. Top right, right above the memory slots. Officially supports 2230 and 2280 drives.
I am not seeing an m.2 slot? here is a pic of the motherboard:

I don't see a m.2 slot on the motherboard? here is a pic of it:
motherboard.jpg

Yeah your sol with that mb unfortunately. I'm not seeing an m.2 port. Your best bet is to return your m.2 and get an SSD.

I am not seeing an m.2 slot? here is a pic of the motherboard:

I don't see a m.2 slot on the motherboard? here is a pic of it:
View attachment 602903
Okay. It's being used by wifi. I'll admit I may have been looking at the wrong page. Dell reuses model numbers a lot and I was sure I was looking at your system.
What good are the two adapters I pictured above?
The first one is good for m.2 SATA (not PCIe/NVMe) drives to fit into 2.5" slots, and the second is primarily designed for servers where U.2 (PCIe) form factor storage is used allowing for an m.2 PCIe drive to fit into the bay.

I'd recommend you get a good 2.5" SATA SSD and that will still provide a great speedup over the existing drive.

Okay. It's being used by wifi. I'll admit I may have been looking at the wrong page.
So, TECHNICALLY, you COULD replace that wi-fi card with a 2230-sized nvme drive, but they are more $$ than 2280's and come in lower capacities...but of course then you give up the wifi function, unless you wanna resort to a USB dongle too :)

So, TECHNICALLY, you COULD replace that wi-fi card with a 2230-sized nvme drive, but they are more $$ than 2280's and come in lower capacities...but of course then you give up the wifi function, unless you wanna resort to a USB dongle too :)
It is a SATA m.2 slot. That WD NVMe will not work in it. He has to get a SATA m.2 drive.

Okay. It's being used by wifi. I'll admit I may have been looking at the wrong page. Dell reuses model numbers a lot and I was sure I was looking at your system.

The first one is good for m.2 SATA (not PCIe/NVMe) drives to fit into 2.5" slots, and the second is primarily designed for servers where U.2 (PCIe) form factor storage is used allowing for an m.2 PCIe drive to fit into the bay.

I'd recommend you get a good 2.5" SATA SSD and that will still provide a great speedup over the existing drive.
Thank you for your suggestions. This PC is the wife's. It's not up-gradable to Windows 11 so I might just get her a new one and use this one as a Linux box.

Back