Looking for a good Plasma TV

My Mitsubishi is about to give out on me and I'm looking to get a new plasma (the girlfriend really likes plasma) for my TV room. I'm looking for something in the 50-55" range, please give me your suggestions.

My Mitsubishi is about to give out on me and I'm looking to get a new plasma (the girlfriend really likes plasma) for my TV room. I'm looking for something in the 50-55" range, please give me your suggestions.

How can she be watching the TV room TV from the kitchen? :D

Plasmas are so.. 2003. Go with an OLED tv, sir.

The new models should be out soon, if I had to choose a model right now in that size it would be the Panasonic TC-P55GT30. Generally it can be had for right around 1400 bucks, or you can get the TC-P55GT31 for 1600 which comes with 2 pair of 3D glasses, wifi adapter, avatar 3D blu-ray and I believe the skype camera.

The new models should be out soon, if I had to choose a model right now in that size it would be the Panasonic TC-P55GT30. Generally it can be had for right around 1400 bucks, or you can get the TC-P55GT31 for 1600 which comes with 2 pair of 3D glasses, wifi adapter, avatar 3D blu-ray and I believe the skype camera.

That's the best bang for the buck 3d one going. The ST30 will save you a few hundred quid if you're not interested in 3d capability. Its also the end of the model year, so deals will be flying but stock will be short.

I was going to get the ST30 until I saw how dim it was in comparison to LED/LCD displays and the flicker was painfully obvious to my eye (I think all plasmas will do that to me). I ended up with a 60" Sharp 633 series (thats the Sams/Costco SKU - standard is the 632, only difference is a simulated 240hz mode (which looks like crap)). It can be had for about $1400, and has no 3d. I'm pretty happy with it so far.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Panasonic and Samsung are what I recommend for Plasma from first hand experience.
We own 3 Panasonics, 2x 50" and a 42" and my sister owns a 58" Samsung.
We just bought the pair of Panasonic VIERA TC-P50S30 on Thanksgiving when they were $599 at Amazon (ended up paying $550 each after a credit for late delivery).

If I were you I would check if your local Targets have the Panasonic 55' TC-P55ST30 in stock. I believe they all are going $899.99 ($854.99 with red card), a decent deal if you are able to get one without brightness fluctuating problems. There's a possibility the new batch of ST30s don't have this issue, but I'm not certain on that. Without the issue, there's no doubt in my mind you can not find a better plasma for the price.

From Robert Heron, I followed his advice on this TV.

Samsung PN51D8000:
Speaking of Samsung, the company's D8000 line of plasma televisions rank among the very best HDTVs in terms of color accuracy and picture performance that I've tested this year. I own/love last year's C8000 plasma, and this one's a bit better still! The 51-inch model is a super-thin design that costs ~$1420 online. This TV also has built-in WiFi/DLNA/apps, and it's available in larger screen sizes.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks for the help guys, we are going TV shopping tomorrow and I will definitely keep these things in mind!

The Panasonic ST30 series is indistinguishable from the ST50. I have a smaller 40 inch ST30, and I love it. The only thing preventing me from getting a bigger one was my wife who prefers smaller sizes due to her eyes getting dry if she is too focused on the screen.

The ST30 series seems to have some great discounts going in the size you are looking for. Check slickdeals.net for some of the latest promotions.

I highly recommend Panasonic for mainstream plasma sets. My TH-50PZ800U has performed flawlessly for several years. I was very close to buying an equivalent Samsung locally per my friends advice until Amazon grabbed me with an awesome price. I was doubly lucky since his Samsung had a power supply failure during the second year of ownership.

The Panasonic ST30 series is indistinguishable from the ST50.
I have an ST30 so it's not like I'm partial to the new ST50's, but the ST50's are brighter than the ST30's, have deeper black levels, and have a newer anti-reflective filter; hardly indistinguishable.

I have a Samsung 51D550, it has the same panel as the D8000, but with less features, but darn near the same image quality. Mine was $900 with two pairs of 3D glasses. I have been really enjoying it. Colors look great, 3D is actually really cool and the tv has performed without a hitch for about a half year now.

Back