Just got 32 XBR6

Riptide_NVN

2[H]4U
Just picked up an 32" XBR6 from BB last night. This was to replace my 37" Westinghouse 37W3 that had developed some problems with banding and dark areas on the screen. It is being used as a computer monitor and not as a dedicated TV set.

I have the display hooked up to my computer via HDM1 input. I am using an HDMI cable plugged into my ATI 4870 video card. The video card has DVI output only so I am using the adapter it came with.

I am having a couple problems and wondering if you guys might have some input. First of all the text quality was totally miserable out of the box. On Vivid setting it was extremely difficult to read. My friend fooled with the settings and it's on standard now and looks better. However, the text quality still seems a little unclear compared to my 37W3. Is there some magic trick to making text appear perfectly clear with this display?

The text issue is my main gripe. The viewing angle leaves something to be desired. I have noticed that I get some ghosting on the computer desktop when I move windows over each other. It's like an after image. It fades away and looks much worse from an off angle view.

Any comments/suggestions? Thanks in advance.

I coulda told you it would be like that. It also has about 100ms input lag. The Samsung 550 or 650 looks 100x better hooked up to PC, has good text and everything and much less input lag. Still too much input lag for me but way less than Sony.

I wouldn't buy any current TV's for use with computer though.

There should be some kind of specific PC settings that will set the monitor to 1:1 mode, and reduce lag.

On my Samsung, you must use HDMI input2, and if you want the cleanest possilble text, you set the input name to PC. Once you do this it sets the display locked on 1:1 mode (no overscan) and kills most of the image processing.

I don't actually use PC Label as the colors get VERY under saturated. I just manually set "Just Scan" mode. I get nice sharp text. My lag is about 32ms in either case so no issue with that.

For PC hookup specific to Sonys, visit your manual. It sounds like you are running in overscan mode and need "Just Scan" "1:1" mode...

Viewing angles are poor on most LCD TVs as they have MVA/PVA screens and this is SNAFU for them. If you want really good viewing angles you need to look at the Panasonic LCDs with Alpha IPS screens.

The issues with the text has been taken care of now. There was a setting in the display that needed to be changed. "Video/Photo Optimizer->Photo". Made the text much sharper and easier on the eyes.

Now the next problem I'm having is that my 1080p video files (.wmv, .avi) are slow as hell. But I think that may be a software problem with the computer. Possibly a Nero update I just ran or Catalyst 9.1. Makes no sense because CPU usage is low and yet the vids are choppy both in WMP and MPC. Going to work on this issue next.

Overscan is fine - the picture fits edge to edge perfectly.

The thing I don't like about a lot of the Samsung displays are the glossy screens. Drives me nuts.

Back