i5-2500k build.

Will it be fine for SLI GTX 680? Meh, $5 isn't much savings, so I will keep the 1600 Mhz. For Sandforce, I know it had problems but I hear they were fixed.

Will it be fine for SLI GTX 680?

Meh, $5 isn't much savings, so I will keep the 1600 Mhz.

For Sandforce, I know it had problems but I hear they were fixed.

There are individuals running the power-hungry GTX 480 in SLI with a 750W, so GTX 680 SLI with a 2500K would be just fine with a 750W. Again, it all comes down to your preference and pocketbook room.

Yeah, it's $5... not a big deal. Almost a year ago when I upgraded my wife's system, the price difference between 1333 and 1600 was a hell of a lot more, unless the 1600 was on sale for less than the 1333, which is how I ended up with it.

I still don't trust SF controllers. :)

Last edited:
Considering the amount of money you're spending, I see no reason why you're cheaping out on the SSD. A better SSD only costs $35 more:
$165 - Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 2.5" 128GB SSD

I would probably go with a Seasonic X-850, if you're going with an 850w PSU. It might be 209.99(with free shipping), but Seasonic actually makes their power supplies, as well as most of the good power supplies out there with other manufacturers' badges slapped on them. Either that or a Corsair AX850 - 189.99 with a $20 rebate and free shipping. Corsair's customer service is awesome, and the AX series PSUs have the option of factory sleeved cabling, which does tend to save a ton of work if you're so inclined. I'm inclined to agree about the SSD, and you can get the Crucial M4 at Microcenter (and often on sale).

How is that SSD better? From what I hear, Sandforce controllers no longer have reliability issues. As for PSU, I will consider it, but I'll probably end up keeping the XFX.

That Corsair AX850 is a twin to the Seasonic X850, thus they're both fully-modular units and built like a brick shithouse. I've got the X750, so I can 100% vouch for them being amongst the best of the best.

How is that SSD better? From what I hear, Sandforce controllers no longer have reliability issues. As for PSU, I will consider it, but I'll probably end up keeping the XFX.

I've read around and they are still hit/miss. The Crucial M4 has a solid track record with none of the Sandforce stigma whatsoever. That's why I bought mine.

My2c.

I will change over to the Crucial M4 then. I decided to not get the Gen3 MOBO as PCIe 3.0 won't be fully utilized for a few more years. Changed to GIGABYTE Z68X-UD3H.

I will change over to the Crucial M4 then. I decided to not get the Gen3 MOBO as PCIe 3.0 won't be fully utilized for a few more years. Changed to GIGABYTE Z68X-UD3H.

Most excellent choice on the SSD!

Nice MoBo choice, as well. Can't go wrong with Asus or Gigabyte Z68's.

It actually was originally the Crucial M4, but I changed to the Mushkin cuz it was cheaper.

I just put together the system in my sig last Friday. No issue with the Extreme3 Gen3. Installation was a breeze, all three times I had to do it due to me fubaring the registry attempting to change the default installation directory on win7 ult. Boots well under 30 seconds with the SSD. No issues with sleep mode. The UEFI has worked well for me so far, though I havent dug into it yet. I havent OC'd yet, but it is in the cards when I get a cooler.

Thats the board I ordered for mine. Let us know how the overclocking goes.

You should keep the xfx the Core edition 850w XXX Is made by seasonic and is a very stable power supply. I have the XFX XXX Pro850w and it is silent and runs like a dream I have not had to worry about it since I plugged it in. If this is the one you are talking about...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207017

Back