h.265/hvec decoding broken w/gtx 1080?

Riptide_NVN

2[H]4U
The GTX 1080 is supposed to support hardware acceleration of H.265/HEVC. I can't seem to get this to work in MPC-HC. When I try to play some of the 4K demo files my CPU utilization is atrocious. It clearly isn't using any type of acceleration to help. Some of the more demanding files with 59fps peg the CPU and cause the sound to stutter and skip.

If I load the SAME file into WMP the file will play perfectly smooth but the sound is broken. I'm at a loss as to what is going on here.

I have tried DXVA2 native and copy back. NVidia CUVID. Checked and unchecked HEVC and UHD (4K) box under Codecs for HW Decoding. EVR (custom presenter) and just EVR for renderer. Nothing helps.

What am I doing wrong here? A sample file, one which presents problems, would be this one here:
Demo Ultra-HD - Samsung UHD - Power of Curve

Thanks

Windows 10
GTX 1080
i5 3570K CPU
MPC-HC 1.7.8.162

Sounds like a software/codec issue. The card supports and run it just fine. Mine included.

Good place to test max bitrate support:
Jellyfish Bitrate Test Files

Bluray 4K for example requires ~128Mbit.

400Mbit HEVC 10bit 4K plays with pretty much no CPU usage at me.~2-3% at 2-3Ghz including everything else running.

Last edited:
Just Windows 10 Movies and TV player. And I got a K-Lite codec pack installed.

I removed CCCP and rebooted. Installed K-Lite basic.

I get sound now. But the video is gone. :/

Well, your issue really seems to be software. I guess there is some conflict/changed setting somewhere.

Don't use Codec packs. Uninstall those. The most popular codecs atm is LAV Filters. They should come bundled with MPC-HC. Just configure it to use CUDA decode and tick h.265.

OK for the love of God after hours this finally seems to be fixed. I had tried:

Numerous configuration options in CCCP. Renderers, video decoder settings, filter tick boxes, etc..
Removed CCCP. Install K-Lite Basic.

None of the above solved the problem. With CCCP installed the files played fine in WMP minus sound which was broken.
With K-Lite Basic I got sound in WMP but no video. MPC still would not run the files without massive CPU use. Removed K-Lite Basic.

Installing K-Lite Standard seems to have done the trick. Now the files play just fine in MPC with low CPU usage. No sound or video problems.

Don't use Codec packs. Uninstall those. The most popular codecs atm is LAV Filters. They should come bundled with MPC-HC. Just configure it to use CUDA decode and tick h.265.

Review the above please. I believe I tried that. Under video decoder I tried DXVA copy back, CUVID, etc.. and none of it would get the files to stop using software acceleration.

I just tried with the latest MPC-HC x86 download from their homepage. DXVA2-Copyback works perfectly. CPU usage hovered around 10-15% on a 4.4GHz i7 5820k. Using GTX 1070 with 375.70.

With MPC-HC, have you ticked HEVC in the transform filters list?

Ticked and unticked that and a whole bunch of other settings experimenting with this. Only the K-Lite Standard install solved whatever software problem was going on here. It may have been possible to set this up to work properly with MPC however I could never discover nor find via google the exact correct configuration to make it work.

Very fussy.

Back