DLSS vs Non DLSS

I don't remember when exactly I heard about it but it wasn't today...the info was out there...was it announced the same day as the official DLSS 3.5 announcement- probably not...but the info has been out there...bait and switch to get people to buy a 40 series card?...I'm not sure that would be something that would totally flip the narrative and get people that haven't already bought a 40 GPU to all of a sudden buy one
RR was also review embargoed a day after Phantom Liberty. They were trying to hide it.

RR was also review embargoed a day after Phantom Liberty. They were trying to hide it.

I think it all depends on when RR gets released into standard RT...if it's sooner rather than later then all the conspiracy stuff will go away...as far as the RR review embargo, I think Nvidia wanted a big showcase title to debut DLSS 3.5 and it doesn't get much bigger than Cyberpunk

And the long, super detailed Digital Foundry video from a day or two ago, where they had a major AI Dev from Nvidia: that video did not say anything about RR only being available for path tracing.

So what I took away from this is ray reconstruction only works for fully path traced/RTX titles - otherwise it's just the new and regular IQ improved DLSS 3.5 for all other DLSS (even for non path-traced but still regular ray-tracing) titles

And expect the exclusive DLSS feature of the 5K gen to be particle/volumetrics AI accelerated rendering/reconstruction like with ray reconstruction for path tracing

Edit: So even in Cyberpunk just FYI - I don't have the game but only Overdrive Mode is path tracing or something? You will only get ray reconstruction only in that mode

It is in the video somewhere cause that's how I found out, as you said no mention of that before this video

Last edited:
It is in the video somewhere cause that's how I found out, as you said no mention of that before this video
Ok so, at 11:25, Alex mentions that RR had so far only been talked about for games which have a path traced mode. He then asks if RR can be used for games where Ray Tracing is more of a hybrid, added effect (Rather than completely replacing a large portion of the lighting model.). And Bryan Catanzaro says yes it can be used in those hybrid situations. But using it for path tracing is essentially a bigger win (because more visual effects can get adjusted, overall) so they are focused on that.

So I guess the info is kinda there. But that doesn't really tell me that RR will only be available for path tracing mode at launch. At least, not explicitly/clearly.

Its also annoying. Because plenty of non-path traced games with Ray Tracing, implement Ray Traced reflections, ambient occlusion, and Global illumination. All of which are improved by RR. And encompass the bulk of the easily noticed visual effect of Ray Tracing. So, uh....I hope they get to work on that quickly. Because Path Tracing is really difficult to use (performance wise) right now. Whereas plenty of games with RT mixed in, are pretty usable. Especially with DLSS involved.

Ok so, at 11:25, Alex mentions that RR had so far only been talked about for games which have a path traced mode. He then asks if RR can be used for games where Ray Tracing is more of a hybrid, added effect (Rather than completely replacing a large portion of the lighting model.). And Bryan Catanzaro says yes it can be used in those hybrid situations. But using it for path tracing is essentially a bigger win (because more visual effects can get adjusted, overall) so they are focused on that.

So I guess the info is kinda there. But that doesn't really tell me that RR will only be available for path tracing mode at launch. At least, not explicitly/clearly.

Its also annoying. Because plenty of non-path traced games with Ray Tracing, implement Ray Traced reflections, ambient occlusion, and Global illumination. All of which are improved by RR. And encompass the bulk of the easily noticed visual effect of Ray Tracing. So, uh....I hope they get to work on that quickly. Because Path Tracing is really difficult to use (performance wise) right now. Whereas plenty of games with RT mixed in, are pretty usable. Especially with DLSS involved.

I agree - which is hilarious because even if you like Nvidia /DLSS/ray tracing etc you can't even deny

NVIDIA👏WHO👏THE👏FUCK👏IS👏IN 👏CHARGE👏OF👏MARKETING👏OVER👏THERE👏WHAT👏THE👏FUCK👏

One Ouija Board after another of marketing material and information

I'm guessing it's just kind of borked for one reason or another in that scenario where there's a handful of separate effects rather than path tracer where everything just falls out of the single algorithm.

I played around with the update for a couple hours. It seems like it's generally a quality win, but occasionally does weird shit. Maybe like 60% of the time it's an improvement, 20% it's neutral, and 20% of the time you seem to lose detail. It seems to touch the entire image in a way I didn't quite expect and has very weird interactions with lower DLSS settings - ultra performance amusingly looks like that Photoshop oil painting filter, it's really, really bad. The image isn't just soft, it's actually horrid. Same with DLSS Auto - seems like it occasionally drops the quality and all of a sudden the image starts looking terrible. Capping at quality seems to be the only way to go at 1440p, but maybe you can get away with lower on a 4k screen.

This is what it looks like. Every so often I guess Auto thinks you're struggling and you start getting this for a moment.
Just capping it at Quality fixed it.

1695356534147.png

I read they also have visual artifacts at native resolution strangely enough, which is why it's disabled.

So I wouldn't be surprised if they just pushed out the first working iteration with some limitations because it misbehaves or produces not so great results otherwise.

Last edited:
I'm guessing it's just kind of borked for one reason or another in that scenario where there's a handful of separate effects rather than path tracer where everything just falls out of the single algorithm.

I played around with the update for a couple hours. It seems like it's generally a quality win, but occasionally does weird shit. Maybe like 60% of the time it's an improvement, 20% it's neutral, and 20% of the time you seem to lose detail. It seems to touch the entire image in a way I didn't quite expect and has very weird interactions with lower DLSS settings - ultra performance amusingly looks like that Photoshop oil painting filter, it's really, really bad. The image isn't just soft, it's actually horrid. Same with DLSS Auto - seems like it occasionally drops the quality and all of a sudden the image starts looking terrible. Capping at quality seems to be the only way to go at 1440p, but maybe you can get away with lower on a 4k screen.

This is what it looks like. Every so often I guess Auto thinks you're struggling and you start getting this for a moment.
Just capping it at Quality fixed it.

View attachment 600394

I read they also have visual artifacts at native resolution strangely enough, which is why it's disabled.

So I wouldn't be surprised if they just pushed out the first working iteration with some limitations because it misbehaves or produces not so great results otherwise.
Hahaha. Dang that looks baaad. Reminds me of those mods where they try to AI upscale pre-rendered backgrounds of Playstation games like Final Fantasy 8 and 9, etc.

No, but it helps. Difference between the same size at 1080p and 4k is massive.
It doesn't help with post process aliasing. That is the whole point of algorithms like FXAA, SMAA, and TAA. One of the worst side effects of post process aliasing is shimmering, which isn't going to be made better by just increasing the number of pixels rendered. DLSS and DLAA can supplant those other post process anti-aliasing methods while not suffering side effects like fringing and vaseline smear.

Back