did I just damage my mobo?

Leb_CRX

Gawd
today has been quite the shitty new years day, anyways I got an old machine and it wasent booting up, last time this happened was due to the hard drive, so I wanted to test it, I took it out and put it in my main rig...worked fine...so I said ok this is def a sys issue, so I plugged my main hard drive back in and for some unknown reason it was being detected as secondary, where it should be primary, so I figured maybe something to do with the jumpers, so I took it out, in the process I had to remove two sticks of ram which I did, anyhow I put it back and I put 1 stick of ram just to test it before I plug everything in, then it happened, the awful smell of something burning..turned it off, I just had a feeling it was the ram, took it out, and well some of the gold colored conductors(I dont know what they're called) on it had burned...no big deal, my mistake anyhow, live and learn, I put the other stick in and now the computer is not even loading, I turn it on I can see the fans come on but nothing on the screen, I tried using sdram instead of DDR (since it's a K7S5A) mobo, same thing...I took out everything and now the only thing left is the CPU, ram, and mobo, and it's doing the same thing, usually it beeps when the video's cards out, but I just wanted to confirm that I didnt overlook a step before I go out and spend 60$ on a new mobo

is there a way to test the mobo?? when this fuck up happens (the ram backwards) does it usually fry mobo? I doubt most of oyu are dumb enough to have done that, but I did .... damn I hope my year to come is nowhere near as shitty as today :( :(

OUCH! I feel your pain but you've royally screwed mobo and RAM by the sounds of it.

BTW sound as if the IDE channels on your old mobo were fuxxored anyway

just wondering what PSU were you running...
I had the same problem before my PSU killed my whole system two years ago ...

Thanks for the replies, I have given up on the mobo and I'm going to go and pick up a new one tommorow...as for the PSU I highly doubt that is the issue here, but it's an enermax 350, been running for just over two years, with no problems

see the thing still turns on, like I unplugged everything and left CPU, RAM, and mobo, and the fans spin...but when I plugged video card in, no picture at all, which is leaving me to believe that it's the mobo, now generally when I leave the card unplugged (it gets loose sometimes) it beeps 8 times, with the card out it does not now...

:( oh well life goes on

I have not tried another video card with it due to the fact that it dosent even seem to recognize that a video card is there or not, which is why it's not beeping at all, correct me if I'm wrong

as for trying to clear the CMOS, yep I tried that, this is the first time I do is so just to make sure I did it right, I flipped the jumper that it said in the manual, hit the power switch, nothing happened, waited about 5 seconds, turned it off, and put the jumper back in the right place...does that sound right?

Originally posted by Leb_CRX
I have not tried another video card with it due to the fact that it dosent even seem to recognize that a video card is there or not, which is why it's not beeping at all, correct me if I'm wrong

as for trying to clear the CMOS, yep I tried that, this is the first time I do is so just to make sure I did it right, I flipped the jumper that it said in the manual, hit the power switch, nothing happened, waited about 5 seconds, turned it off, and put the jumper back in the right place...does that sound right?

that sounds right .....

Just something to check - make sure you have some sort of speaker hooked up. You can't get beeps if there is no speaker and not all MB's have them onboard.

Back