Any updates for hdmi 2.1 support?

Riptide_NVN

2[H]4U
I understand neither Nvidia or AMD currently support this and the most recent articles I can find when googling are from June. Has anything changed? Will this be supported any time in the relative near future?

I may pick up a 65" LG C9 over black friday if the prices drop under 2 g's. Wondering if I'll be able to get a GPU that might support this by then. Doesn't look like it's gonna happen with my radeon 7. :(

None of the current hardware is or will be HDMI 2.1 compliant. Since mass release of HDMI 2.1 A/V receivers is not expected until June 2020, most likely 2H 2020 you may start seeing new Nvidia GPUs with HDMI 2.1 outputs.

Well fiddlesticks. So late next year?? At that rate, might be better off placing my hopes on a DP->HDMI2.1 adapter.

Possible that AMD's next card will be HDMI 2.1 as well That's a 2020 release date, similar to nVidia Ampere. Not sure if any of those will be 1H or 2H though. So maybe a few months sooner... maybe?

I guess it happens when it happens. Will be stuck with this radeon 7 for a while then. Such terrible suffering.

I hope one day some enlightened soul in the TV industry will be wise enough to include DP 1.4 on a TV set. More and more GPUs are being connected to TVs nowadays, in gaming systems or HTPC, so it only makes sense.

I hope one day some enlightened soul in the TV industry will be wise enough to include DP 1.4 on a TV set. More and more GPUs are being connected to TVs nowadays, in gaming systems or HTPC, so it only makes sense.

Make that DP 2.0 though. DP 1.4 still has similar bandwidth limitations as HDMI 2.0.

It'll be interesting if we get some HDMI 2.1 features like VRR ported to HDMI 2.0 Nvidia cards considering LG is adding G-Sync support.

I am guessing the next round of cards from AMD will have hdmi2.1. Nvidia likes to drag their feet and hold back features like this. So don't expect anything from Nvidia til 2021.

You got that back assward.
Take a look how HDMI 2.0 support panned out.

Right, AMD didn't ship HDMI 2.0 until Polaris. That was a pretty painful time for Fury X (no support for HDR10 output at 4k).

Nvidia shipped 2.0 with the GTX 980 launch, and then shipped full hardware support fir HEVC and VP9 with the GTX 960.

For the last five years, AMD has been way behind Nvidia when it comes to hardware-accelerating new video codecs, and giving you the most flexibility for outputting them. Even their first HDMI 2.0 GPU only supports 8-bit 60hz output at 4:4:4!

https://www.techpowerup.com/227941/amd-radeon-gpus-limit-hdr-color-depth-to-8bpc-over-hdmi-2-0

2.1 will not ship until Ampere.

Last edited:
It'll be interesting if we get some HDMI 2.1 features like VRR ported to HDMI 2.0 Nvidia cards considering LG is adding G-Sync support.

Yup that happened. You won't get 4k 144Hz, but you can get 144Hz 1080 and 120Hz 1440. And it will support VRR over HDMI 2.0 on Turing cards, it just gets limited on resolution/refresh rate because of the transfer limitations of HDMI 2.0

Not that there is any reason nVidia couldn't port it to any of their 2.0 cards, but any reason to force an upgrade to Turing they will do.

Make that DP 2.0 though. DP 1.4 still has similar bandwidth limitations as HDMI 2.0.

Incorrect. DP 1.4 has way more bandwidth than HDMI 2.0 and can do 8k @ 60hz and 4k @ 120hz, more than enough for most peoples needs.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort#1.4

For the low low price of $5k. I rather keep my 65" c9 OLED.
Frankly I would hate that monitor except for some games then it would be rather awesome with. $5000 is somewhat laughable, hopefully some 5K Ultra Wide monitors around the 34"-38" with 120hz HDR etc. come out late next year or beyond. Will need Amper or maybe RNDA 2 to really drive it.

From my understanding, the LG C9/E9 will work with gsync over HDMI 2.0. Up to 120hz@1440p.

If you want 4k120 however, you'll be waiting for HDMI 2.1.

Back