Zotac rtx 3090 @ $999 on woot

I don't need but damn if that isn't an awesome deal. My backup rig has one and it works great. Good catch OP!

I never reply to threads here but I had to reply and just say "Damn."
If someone needs a card for an upgrade, well, there you go. That's basically the price the most expensive MSRP 3080's were going for. If 4000 series wasn't so close to release, I'd be tempted to bite and mess around with some Elmor mods, even though i already have a 3090 FE. You could easily get your money back selling it later when 4000 launches anyway.

Pricing is going to collapse on video cards as most bought already that wanted one and mining is dead and there selling off their cards. Also with inflation going up so quickly most are not going to be wanting to spend big money on a video card. I expect next month these will be marked down even more.

Totally agree. If you need a GPU now, then buy one. Price is great. BUT if you can wait x months until 4000 / 7000 series come out and can deal with the increased hardware requirements (both price and power supply requirements will be worse than 3000 series), then definitely hold out.

Personally, I don't have any 4k high frame rate monitors that will require top end new gen GPUs quite yet. Still waiting for the perfect size + spec 4K monitor to come out before I pull the trigger (OLED vs miniled???). My curent 3440x1440 and 3840x1080 ultra wide's are barely making my current gen GPUs break a sweat.

Hmmm I just bought a 3070 from BB for $579.. should have waited.

You don't think it could go the other way again with another crypto boom in another year or two?
I'm just talking short term with the 4090 release and the fact that prices right now are closer to msrp than they have been since launch of the 30 series.

You don't think it could go the other way again with another crypto boom in another year or two?

Unlikely. The last two GPU shortage cycles were "attributed" to Ethereum. And it is moving to POS in September. Nothing out there remotely as profitable. You will always be able to make a couple bucks here and there with altcoins, but nothing like eth.

For that kind of discount, if you were in the market for a 3090 anyway, I'd take a swing.
Honestly other than some of their absurd price gouging during the past year+ I had to RMA a card from them and it went fine (albeit a bit slow) and it's still going strong today.

Hmmm I just bought a 3070 from BB for $579.. should have waited.
Is your sig up to date? If so then even a 3070 is not going to hit its full potential in some games with that 6 core/ 6 thread cpu. A 3090 would be a massive waste for you.

Is your sig up to date? If so then even a 3070 is not going to hits its full potential in some games with that 6 core/ 6 thread cpu. A 3090 would be a massive waste for you.

Yes up to date - I know, I can tell it's not doing its best. May go to 12600k soon

Yes up to date - I know, I can tell it's not doing its best. May go to 12600k soon
Heck at this point you might as well wait for the new cpus in a few months. My 9900k is more than fine since I only care about 60 fps but I will upgrade for pci-e 5 probably next year.

Heck at this point you might as well wait for the new cpus in a few months. My 9900k is more than fine since I only care about 60 fps but I will upgrade for pci-e 5 probably next year.
Problem I'm seeing is that my CPU is getting hotter than I've ever seen - Flight Sim it was reaching 85 to 90c out of the blue. @3440x1440 res too

With my 2070supe, my 9600k never reached above 75c. Not sure what's going on - I cleaned it, added new paste, increased fan speeds etc.

Is your sig up to date? If so then even a 3070 is not going to hit its full potential in some games with that 6 core/ 6 thread cpu. A 3090 would be a massive waste for you.
Ones milage can vary. If one plays VR 4K+ @90Hz+ the play field evens out pretty quick. The 3090 would do far better with a 9600K then the 3070 would.

I'm of the same assumption. They'll be high priced and hard to find I think.
Safe assumption. Anyone that doesn't already have a 3000 series, and assumes they'll be able to get a 4000 series easily or for anywhere close to MSRP is going be disappointed.

I'd jump on it. With the last few major card releases (not just the 30xx), new cards have sold out and people start getting desperate for whatever the next best option is. Especially around Xmas. Those prices could pop back up if 40xx aren't readily available come November.

The pricing adjustment of current gen gpus should give a general idea of pricing on next-gen gpus.

Halo products getting the slash prior to a next-gen launch is not at all surprising. That extra 10% a 3090 gave over a 3080 was never justified in its original MSRP. Room has now been made for newer products to fill that $1500 price bracket.

Unlikely. The last two GPU shortage cycles were "attributed" to Ethereum. And it is moving to POS in September. Nothing out there remotely as profitable. You will always be able to make a couple bucks here and there with altcoins, but nothing like eth.
Haven't they been saying it's going POS for years now?

It has arrived! If only the 5900X was here too. Think it will be faster than my old Vega 56/1700...?

I'm on my second Zotac, no problems. 1080Ti first and now a 3080. The Ti was even an open box Amazon Warehouse deals type thing. Though maybe part of it is I don't wanna get myself unnecessarily scared, and haven't looked THAT hard, what I hear against them is usually more like "ew, Zotac", than WHY they're bad.

I'm on my second Zotac, no problems. 1080Ti first and now a 3080. The Ti was even an open box Amazon Warehouse deals type thing. Though maybe part of it is I don't wanna get myself unnecessarily scared, and haven't looked THAT hard, what I hear against them is usually more like "ew, Zotac", than WHY they're bad.
Back in the day, I beat the hell out of my Zotac 1070 mini and it just kept running and running.

Only had one Zotac card and it worked flawlessly.

Pro Zotac from there on out.

Maxed at 120hz - 3440x1440p is my main monitor - this is probably wayyy overkill - but I have about 10 days left to return this 3070 (which has been okay!), but what's another $500 anyways? lol

Maxed at 120hz - 3440x1440p is my main monitor - this is probably wayyy overkill - but I have about 10 days left to return this 3070 (which has been okay!), but what's another $500 anyways? lol
Um for that res and refresh rate it is certainly not overkill if you like cranking the settings. In fact there are a few games where you are lucky to get 60 fps at that res if you max EVERY setting. Cyberpunk with all settings maxed and ray tracing cant even average 60 fps at that res. Red Dead Redemption truly maxed out is no where near 60 fps. Hell go back to Watch Dogs 2 even and crank all the settings and use max TXAA and you will not even maintain 30 fps. So you can you can certainly put that card to use and you have a cpu to get the most out of it too.

Last edited:
Back