Zotac rtx 3090 @ $999 on woot

Um for that res and refresh rate it is certainly not overkill if you like cranking the settings. In fact there are a few games where you are lucky to get 60 fps at that res if you max EVERY setting. Cyberpunk with all settings maxed and ray tracing cant even average 60 fps at that res. Red Dead Redemption truly maxed out is no where near 60 fps. Hell go back to Watch Dogs 2 even and crank all the settings and use max TXAA and you will not even maintain 30 fps. So you can you can certainly put that card to use and you have a cpu to get the most out of it too.

God damnit bro, don't tempt me.

Just an FYI - I have an RMA already on this and am inbound with a 3080 12 GB.

Let's see if that does what I want. Biggest problem I had with my last 3080 was the temps. Didn't favor the XC3 EVGA - temps were hitting 80 normally. This stays around 68 tops.

What's everyone's temps with this 3090?

Last edited:
Maxed at 120hz - 3440x1440p is my main monitor - this is probably wayyy overkill - but I have about 10 days left to return this 3070 (which has been okay!), but what's another $500 anyways? lol
Not at all. My 3080 is often my limiting factor at that same resolution.

God damnit bro, don't tempt me.

Just an FYI - I have an RMA already on this and am inbound with a 3080 12 GB.

Let's see if that does what I want. Biggest problem I had with my last 3080 was the temps. Didn't favor the XC3 EVGA - temps were hitting 80 normally. This stays around 68 tops.

What's everyone's temps with this 3090?
You might give undervolting a try. I watched some videos of people undervolting their 3080s and not only did they run cooler, performance actually improved in some cases because the card was no longer thermal throttling. I did it with my 3090 and it’s been completely stable at 4K/120Hz.

You might give undervolting a try. I watched some videos of people undervolting their 3080s and not only did they run cooler, performance actually improved in some cases because the card was no longer thermal throttling. I did it with my 3090 and it’s been completely stable at 4K/120Hz

Do you have any step by step guides to undervolting a 3080/ti? I have tried but It's too complicated and lowering the power limit lowers the boost clocks also I just want to lower the voltage only but how?

Do you have any step by step guides to undervolting a 3080/ti? I have tried but It's too complicated and lowering the power limit lowers the boost clocks also I just want to lower the voltage only but how?

you can do it with MSI afterburner. There’s a voltage slider.

Just search on youtube and you will find several quick and easy guides.

Just search on youtube and you will find several quick and easy guides.
I have & most of them are not very intuitive. They don't do a good job of explaining it properly and making it easy to follow, or it would have been done by now lol. The way the afterburner graph is setting the voltage at a certain point then needing to use an assortment of different shortcuts that are not known and no instructions for make it near impossible to figure out. I've been overclocking my cpu for years, but the gpu hasn't been easy for me to learn because the way the graph is and how to set the curve and points on the graph take knowledge/trial & error runs, plus the shortcuts that are not explained to you make it difficult.

I have & most of them are not very intuitive. They don't do a good job of explaining it properly and making it easy to follow, or it would have been done by now lol. The way the afterburner graph is setting the voltage at a certain point then needing to use an assortment of different shortcuts that are not known and no instructions for make it near impossible to figure out. I've been overclocking my cpu for years, but the gpu hasn't been easy for me to learn because the way the graph is and how to set the curve and points on the graph take knowledge/trial & error runs, plus the shortcuts that are not explained to you make it difficult.
Dude it’s literally a slider in MSI afterburner. It’s not complicated at all unless you’re trying to modify the whole voltage curve at specific frequencies which you don’t need to do. Just set a negative offset and run a benchmark to test stability and performance.

Dude it’s literally a slider in MSI afterburner. It’s not complicated at all unless you’re trying to modify the whole voltage curve at specific frequencies which you don’t need to do. Just set a negative offset and run a benchmark to test stability and performance.
Yeah I don't even fine tune mine like that. Just put power % between 80-90 and let it roll.

You make it sound so easy. How exactly? you can't just pull a slider on the graph? It's not that easy? You need to do a couple of shortcuts on the keyboard to straighten the line. You can't just pull the point down because that will only affect that particular power range. If it was as simple as a negative offset like on intel chips I would have done it by now. But it is on a graph which has a wide powerband.

You make it sound so easy. How exactly? you can't just pull a slider on the graph? It's not that easy? You need to do a couple of shortcuts on the keyboard to straighten the line. You can't just pull the point down because that will only affect that particular power range. If it was as simple as a negative offset like on intel chips I would have done it by now. But it is on a graph which has a wide powerband.
You clearly have not paid attention to the numerous simple guides that are out there as you are making an extremely easy operation sound difficult. I can reset afterburner right now and go in there and set an undervolt and hit apply and be done and literally seconds. Heck most these guides even give you a guideline of what voltage is suitable for each clock. For example if you wanted 1800 MHz then you need around .812 mv to guarantee stability.

I mean all you do is open afterburner hit control f then you can go to afterburner and pull down the core speed by about 300 MHz and hit apply so it'll be below the speed you're going to aim for. Then you go over to .812 and drag it up to 1770 MHz or so because when you actually get in a game it's going to go up 15 to 30 MHz under full load. Hit apply and you are done and then when you fire up a game it'll probably start off at 1770 and then go to 1785 to 1800 depending on the actual temperature and load on the card.

Last edited:
You clearly have not paid attention to the numerous simple guides that are out there as you are making an extremely easy operation sound difficult. I can reset afterburner right now and go in there and set an undervolt and hit apply and be done and literally seconds. Heck most these guides even give you a guideline of what voltage is suitable for each clock. For example if you wanted 1800 MHz then you need around .812 mv to guarantee stability.

I mean all you do is open afterburner hit control f then you can go to afterburner and pull down the core speed by about 300 MHz and hit apply so it'll be below the speed you're going to aim for. Then you go over to .812 and drag it up to 1770 MHz or so because when you actually get in a game it's going to go up 15 to 30 MHz under full load. Hit apply and you are done and then when you fire up a game it'll probably start off at 1770 and then go to 1785 to 1800 depending on the actual temperature and load on the card.

You have a 3080Ti, what voltage do you run? what clock speed? I have a Hydrocopper FTW3 Ultra and temps are below 60 at all times and I know I can fine tune it to get more clock speed out of it.

You have a 3080Ti, what voltage do you run? what clock speed? I have a Hydrocopper FTW3 Ultra and temps are below 60 at all times and I know I can fine tune it to get more clock speed out of it.
1830 mhz at .837 mv but yours could do much higher as you have higher power limit and cooler temps. To be clear I have 1800 mhz set as I mentioned earlier it goes up 30 mhz over that under load.

If I leave mine at out of the box stock settings then I hit the power limit in very demanding games at 4k and will drop to below 1650 at times so the undervolt gives me better overall performance and lower power consumption. For you I would suggest right below 1950 and just under .950 mv. Anything more than that and its massive diminishing returns as power consumption will climb rapidly under full load.

With the RTX 7900s out, I don't see the point of this anymore. I mean, I guess unless it's ray tracing or nothing for your needs.

A 5-month, bad-price bump...

Tell us you're a bot without actually saying it.

With the RTX 7900s out, I don't see the point of this anymore. I mean, I guess unless it's ray tracing or nothing for your needs.
The 3090 is a $600-700 card now and it will most likely stay there because of the 24GB of ram.

Back