Zen 3 Threadripper in August according to leaker Yuko

Wonder what the cost tax (pricing) will be? How much I will be able to get for my 3960x at the time?

As for AMD, I suspect they will have a Zen 3+ version while the Zen 4 5nm will be limited initially to Epyc CPUs until 5nm foundry production and availability increases. This segmentation will allow more Zen3(+) and 7nm GPUs while getting 5nm Epyc out and sufficient numbers to supply demand I would suspect. Using both 5nm and 7nm process's will allow AMD to make more chips for sale.

The transition to DDR5 will most likely not be all at once and will take a year or two and maybe longer for adaptation. I will most likely ignore 1st generation DDR 5 CPUs/motherboards etc. unless they are so spectacular and good for the price, stable etc.

Wonder what the cost tax (pricing) will be? How much I will be able to get for my 3960x at the time?

As for AMD, I suspect they will have a Zen 3+ version while the Zen 4 5nm will be limited initially to Epyc CPUs until 5nm foundry production and availability increases. This segmentation will allow more Zen3(+) and 7nm GPUs while getting 5nm Epyc out and sufficient numbers to supply demand I would suspect. Using both 5nm and 7nm process's will allow AMD to make more chips for sale.

The transition to DDR5 will most likely not be all at once and will take a year or two and maybe longer for adaptation. I will most likely ignore 1st generation DDR 5 CPUs/motherboards etc. unless they are so spectacular and good for the price, stable etc.
Yea I don't get the excitement for DDR5. It is not happening this year. It is going to be expensive and slow like all other ram when they first come out. It be another couple years before we get higher speed DDR5 so your expensive slow ram will be as useless just like DDR4 2133 ram is now.

Last edited:

Regardless of what happens, the 3960X has been one of the most consequential processors I’ve ever owned. In terms of magnitude of leap forward and long term usefulness I think it’s up there with the 486dx2/66, the first Core2s and the i7/920. Just an absolute monster that has handled everything I’ve thrown at it for 18 months and, more amazingly, not had me wanting for something new at all that entire time, even as 5950x and 11900k arrive I’m still happy with the 3960x.

Regardless of what happens, the 3960X has been one of the most consequential processors I’ve ever owned. In terms of magnitude of leap forward and long term usefulness I think it’s up there with the 486dx2/66, the first Core2s and the i7/920. Just an absolute monster that has handled everything I’ve thrown at it for 18 months and, more amazingly, not had me wanting for something new at all that entire time, even as 5950x and 11900k arrive I’m still happy with the 3960x.
I totally agree, my 3990x has saved me tens of thousands of dollars by speeding up simulations at the company I work at. It's actually even faster than Epyc at our workloads since we scale almost perfectly with both clock speed and parallelism. I love having 64 cores at 4.2ghz consistently at 100% load. I will be moving to whatever the top end next-gen Threadripper is.

Ditto this.

Yea I don't get the excitement for DDR5. It is not happening this year. It is going to be expensive and slow like all other ram when they first come out. It be another couple years before we get higher speed DDR5 so your expensive slow ram will be as useless just like DDR4 2133 ram is now.
And this. Early on major jumps I did - DDR, DDR2, etc. But this time? I don't see a huge change - and since so many things want even faster RAM, I'll wait a year till we're into the second gen set of boards (wish I'd waited on x370 until x570 came out, and x399 was skippable vs TRX40). And so on. Second gen boards? Worth it.

Back