YouTuber shows the history of the FPS genre

Videos are stitched together nice but I wonder if Cyberpunk 2077 is going to be good =/ Sometimes the classics just felt better due to less textures and better sounds.

Videos are stitched together nice but I wonder if Cyberpunk 2077 is going to be good =/ Sometimes the classics just felt better due to less textures and better sounds.

This is inaccurate. First off, the older games didn't have less textures. They have lower resolution and less complex textures. Every object in a game where all objects are rendered in 3D has textures applied to them. Beyond that, I disagree. Games looking primitive didn't feel better. I also have no idea where you are getting the sound part from.

Every object in a game where all objects are rendered in 3D has textures applied to them
You do not remember the good old days when vertice color with simple interpolation were often used instead of texture in 3D:
2019-10-07-image-2-j.webp

I wouldn't call Cyberpunk a shooter, its more along the lines of Deus Ex or a roleplaying game. As to how good its going to be? I'd say average.

oh yes thanks is goldeneye still around on steam i miss that mod or cant find it anymore at least LOL

Last edited:
This is inaccurate. First off, the older games didn't have less textures. They have lower resolution and less complex textures. Every object in a game where all objects are rendered in 3D has textures applied to them. Beyond that, I disagree. Games looking primitive didn't feel better. I also have no idea where you are getting the sound part from.

It's Comixbooks man, he constantly has the shittiest of takes in this sub-forum. He needs a poof like "don't mind me, I work at Wal-Mart" or something that explains his constant pessimism.

Anyways, that vid was cool, but would have liked it to be a few mins longer with all the other notable/missing FPS games in the past 30 years. I would have liked to Turok, Metroid Prime, Halo, Crysis, Far Cry, UT, and I guess Halo even though I never cared for it.

It's Comixbooks man, he constantly has the shittiest of takes in this sub-forum. He needs a poof like "don't mind me, I work at Wal-Mart" or something that explains his constant pessimism.

Anyways, that vid was cool, but would have liked it to be a few mins longer with all the other notable/missing FPS games in the past 30 years. I would have liked to Turok, Metroid Prime, Halo, Crysis, Far Cry, UT, and I guess Halo even though I never cared for it.
Halo? Meh
I was sad that Quake didn't make an appearance before quake 3. Always thought quake 2 was so much better but YMMV

Every object in a game where all objects are rendered in 3D has textures applied to them.
I seem to remember X-Wing as having no textures. Just flat objects. And Tie FIghter added gouraud shading but still without textures on craft.

You can "meh" Halo all you like but it is a HUGE part of FPS history.
It's one of those lucky overrated titles. There are always games that become successful despite not being anything special. And no, I don't really think the AI in Halo was that special. They tried something different with it, but I always preferred the skarj ai in Unreal. And the rest of halo? Bellow average.

It's one of those lucky overrated titles. There are always games that become successful despite not being anything special. And no, I don't really think the AI in Halo was that special. They tried something different with it, but I always preferred the skarj ai in Unreal. And the rest of halo? Bellow average.

At the time there weren't many fps you could play on console and not get laughed at. Most of everything was inferior PC ports of our favorite titles. Halo made fps games somewhat legit on console imo

Great video. Makes me feel old/out of touch that I recognized all the early ones and then after about 2/3 of the way through I only recognized maybe half of them. :ROFLMAO:

Similar idea only its all hand animated. Very well done in paper-mation.
Make sure you turn off the sound. Horrible sappy song. You have been warned.

Back