XL2740 or XL2546 or other?

LGabrielPhoto

2[H]4U
So I was leaning towards the 27" because of the size as my editing monitor is a 32" so dropping to 24" is a bit too much but I guess I can sit VERY close to it to compensate. It looks from my research that both of these use older TN panels with bad IQ? I know it is for gaming but still... The reason Iw as looking at the XL2546 was due to the recommendation from prosettings.net. Are there better options in the same price range? Prefer 27" but will consider 24-25" 9900k with 1080ti and mostly playing CSGO and COD MW. This will be a gaming monitor not my main monitor for editing photos etc.
Thanks

I highly recommend the 27", I think it's the best size for gaming especially for fast paced shooters and I think 1920x1080 is the best resolution. It offers the best compromise between image quality and lighter GPU load that lets you get closer to the magical 240 Hz. My previous monitor was a XL2720 which I thought was great so I'm a fan of BenQ gaming monitors however their color is kinda average....not "bad" just not very good. I upgraded to my current Acer Predator XB272 and it's by far the best monitor I've ever used and I think one of the best gaming monitors on the market and I was surprised at how good the image quality, especially the color was. No it's not photo editing quality but for a 240 Hz, G-Sync, 1ms response time gaming monitor, I'd say it's one of the best in terms of PQ. I got lucky and caught mine on sale at Best Buy for $429.99. So that would be my recommendation. Asus has a couple good 27" gaming screens. TN and IPS that'll have 144+ refresh rates and low pixel response times but they're 1440 resolution which means much lower frame rates from your 1080 Ti. Alienware just came out with a 27" gaming monitor as well (AW2720). Their 25" is pretty popular in the "pro gamer" crowd and the 27" version is supposed to be as good just bigger. 240 Hz and 1920x1080 and it's IPS!. It's going for $450 right now on Dell's website which is the FreeSync version but that works just fine with Nvidia cards now and for a lot less money. That would be another strong recommendation based on it's been getting pretty good reviews and knowing how well received it's 25" little brother is received.

Again, that's my recommendation based on my preference which seems to be in the minority around here. Most guys want higher DPI and image quality and I don't think they're wrong. I totally get that but to me, the trade off for the high frame rates, fast response times and that super smooth motion is worth it.

Back