XGI Volari V8 Duo Ultra

hkzu02tethmz.jpg

Most people have no idea what that failed piece of rubbish is.

Reactions: erek
like this
I really wanted to get one of these back in 03 or whenever they came out, seems drivers were the hold-back back then.
The drivers were never any good, so don't worry that you missed out. From my 24 hours with an XGI Volari V5 before returning it, the OpenGL was way behind the times and its Direct3D had terrible visual glitches in Half-Life 2 and performed slower than a Geforce FX 5200SE. This despite the chip ostensibly having twice the memory bandwidth. More critically, even if they had worked well, they couldn't paper over the Volari Duo's fundamentally flawed design. IIRC two chips were setup in some variation of AFR with a modified SiS motherboard interconnect to shuffle data between them. It was bodged together, and it showed. The 2D was fine, and for a while I really wanted to believe XGI could find a niche like Matrox did, but the Volaris trundled toward oblivion fast. I don't think XGI ever bothered writing WDDM drivers for the cards despite their ostensible Direct3D 9 capabilities.

edit: That price is hilarious. I wouldn't have paid $100 for it brand new.

Last edited:
Back