Xbox series X

According to MS only some controllers have BT functionality: https://support.xbox.com/en-US/help...roller/connect-xbox-wireless-controller-to-pc

The others require an Xbox Wireless Adapter if they don't have built-in Xbox Wireless (didn't even know that was a thing).
They added Bluetooth with the One S update (what part of that is hard to understand?)

I've beenn using my S controller connected to my windows PC for the last year, plus my phone, all over Bluetooth

Last edited:
Hey man, I'm quoting MS on that one. I have a 360 controller that I use when it's necessary; it doesn't have BT, gotta use the dongle. I'd use a USB cable if that was an option.

I bought a controller last night bother one of the girls who is a keys girl. Seems slightly smaller and the texture is different on the bottom and top. I had a USB-C I used for my Samsung S9 phone and that works well with this controller. I'm updating the firmware now not sure if that is a smart thing to do hope it doesn't brick on me I picked up the black version incase i stain the white version with tomato sauce or something. I got 6.00 off of it at Walmart but the retail price was 59.00 I would of got the PS5 controller but I think it's ugly looking.

Last edited:
What do I need for the controller to work with Windows 10? I was going to buy one but I heard you need bluetooth on your MB.
pretty sure you need one of those $25 ms adapters, I have one and it works flawlessly. Don’t know if it’ll work just via Bluetooth though, haven’t tried
If your MB do not come with bluetooth you can buy those cheap adapter:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=bluetooth+usb+adapter&crid=10X70070LOJPL&sprefix=bluetooth+usb,aps,173&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-a-p_4_13

Or a nice card wifi/bluetooth card if you can have use for both:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=bluetooth+wifi+card&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

having an external antenna that you can place where you want with an extension can be useful.

My older Xbox One S controller work both with a cheap bluetooth dongle and my laptop integrated bluetooth, didn't try with the new one I would verify but I imagine that it should still work like before.
According to MS only some controllers have BT functionality: https://support.xbox.com/en-US/help...roller/connect-xbox-wireless-controller-to-pc

The others require an Xbox Wireless Adapter if they don't have built-in Xbox Wireless (didn't even know that was a thing).
They added Bluetooth with the One S update (what part of that is hard to understand?)

I've beenn using my S controller connected to my windows PC for the last year, plus my phone, all over Bluetooth
All you need is a USB cable. It is PnP on Windows 10.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I use a USB cable on an OG Xbox One controller these days as I lent my dongle to someone and they promptly broke it. Any old micro-USB cable will do and you don't need batteries because the USB connection will provide enough juice.

I have a smattering of updated Xbox One controllers upstairs that use bluetooth to connect to a Steam link (or directly to the Xbox One X). The updated ones also work fine with a USB cable as that's how my wife connects with hers to her computer. I assume the same is true of this latest controller evolution.

I don't have dedicated controllers for my PC and console, and it's a PITA to resync controllers whenever I want to switch, so I just always go wired on my PC. I'm always sitting right next to it, anyway.

Xbox Wireless Headset- Launch Trailer
Neat, honestly though I've just been using my ps5 3d pulse headset with a 3.5mm cable and its been working absolutely great so I'll probably not bother with a dedicated headset for my xbox.

I pre-ordered them. I needed something for my Xbox. I've been using my PC setup (Philips SHP9500s with a VModa boom) and would like to do away with these wires.

Got my Series X delivered and setup. I thought it would be a seamless transition like PS5, but boy was that not the case.
  • People give crap to the PS5 for only having 825GB of free space on the 1TB drive, but the Series X only had 802GB available fresh out of the box after updating.
  • Games that had updates for the Series X did not upgrade in-place. Instead, it decided to download the games in their entirety, resulting in duplicate game installs on both my external and internal drives. I had 10 games installed that were updated this way.
  • System would not let me cancel those updates, so I had to wait for them to finish and then delete the duplicates on my external drive.
  • The other 6 games with Series X upgrades did not completely download again, I just wanted to move them to the internal SSD.
Ended up taking me all day to finish setting the console up. I had different kinds of issue with the PS5, so I can't really say that was any better. Figuring out where they hid things in the new UI on the PS5 took up most of my time, along with searching the store for PS5 upgrades since they don't have the same automatic update process the Xbox has. But you can see how that turned out for me above. Having the UI move forward with the console is definitely nice, though.

Got my Series X delivered and setup. I thought it would be a seamless transition like PS5, but boy was that not the case.
  • People give crap to the PS5 for only having 825GB of free space on the 1TB drive, but the Series X only had 802GB available fresh out of the box after updating.
  • Games that had updates for the Series X did not upgrade in-place. Instead, it decided to download the games in their entirety, resulting in duplicate game installs on both my external and internal drives. I had 10 games installed that were updated this way.
  • System would not let me cancel those updates, so I had to wait for them to finish and then delete the duplicates on my external drive.
  • The other 6 games with Series X upgrades did not completely download again, I just wanted to move them to the internal SSD.
Ended up taking me all day to finish setting the console up. I had different kinds of issue with the PS5, so I can't really say that was any better. Figuring out where they hid things in the new UI on the PS5 took up most of my time, along with searching the store for PS5 upgrades since they don't have the same automatic update process the Xbox has. But you can see how that turned out for me above. Having the UI move forward with the console is definitely nice, though.
I think the ps5 only gets like 667gb of usable space according to google (I didnt bother checking before I started installing games to my ps5 lol) thanks to it only coming with an 800gb ssd that has to lose room for the OS and such. The rest of the tomfoolerly sounds aggravating though, I was able to transfer a few key games over to my xsx with my external hdd and it seemed to go pretty smooth but I wasn't trying to play/update from my external drive. I think the issue is you cant play any xsx games off an external drive, only xbox one versions so the xsx was trying to get the newest xsx version for you instead which means it needs to be done on the internal ssd.

I still haven't found a way to buy a Series X, thanks Microsoft! Bought every xbox since the original day one and here we are almost 4 months after release and they can't get their act together.

I think the ps5 only gets like 667gb of usable space according to google (I didnt bother checking before I started installing games to my ps5 lol) thanks to it only coming with an 800gb ssd that has to lose room for the OS and such. The rest of the tomfoolerly sounds aggravating though, I was able to transfer a few key games over to my xsx with my external hdd and it seemed to go pretty smooth but I wasn't trying to play/update from my external drive. I think the issue is you cant play any xsx games off an external drive, only xbox one versions so the xsx was trying to get the newest xsx version for you instead which means it needs to be done on the internal ssd.
Yes, you're right. I completely forgot the PS5 drive is 825GB, not 1TB, and it comes with 667GB or so free.

I would have happily moved those games to the internal SSD if the console gave me the chance. Oh well. It's done now. And now I only have 56GB free on the SSD :ROFLMAO:

Sucks you had those issues. I didn't encounter them when setting up the Series X, and it was extremely smooth transferring data from my One X (PS4 to 5 failed and restored factory defaults, which annoyed me). Now, the first couple days I did have some issues with backward compatibility games, namely 360 games. It was straight up failing with sign-ins and game saves. Either it was a random bug that worked itself out, or an known bug they fixed on their end, but it started working soon after. I didn't copy over games between consoles, just any console/profile data.

Yes, you're right. I completely forgot the PS5 drive is 825GB, not 1TB, and it comes with 667GB or so free.

I would have happily moved those games to the internal SSD if the console gave me the chance. Oh well. It's done now. And now I only have 56GB free on the SSD :ROFLMAO:
It's just so weird it didn't let you, I did transfer 2 games off my external HDD (gears 5 & halo MCC) and it worked flawlessly for me. My biggest issues were getting my xsx to show up and work properly with the Xbox app so I could remote install and manage my console. After 2 days of fighting renaming my Xbox fixed the issues and it started showing up properly in the apps. Waiting patiently for more expansion modules to appear so I can get more space, both my xsx and ps5 are sitting at less than 70gb free. I will say though thank god for games giving you the option to selectivly install portions of it, I got the new COD and it cuts file size down ALOT when you leave out zombies, single player and that battle royal mode lol.

It's just so weird it didn't let you, I did transfer 2 games off my external HDD (gears 5 & halo MCC) and it worked flawlessly for me. My biggest issues were getting my xsx to show up and work properly with the Xbox app so I could remote install and manage my console. After 2 days of fighting renaming my Xbox fixed the issues and it started showing up properly in the apps. Waiting patiently for more expansion modules to appear so I can get more space, both my xsx and ps5 are sitting at less than 70gb free. I will say though thank god for games giving you the option to selectivly install portions of it, I got the new COD and it cuts file size down ALOT when you leave out zombies, single player and that battle royal mode lol.
The app was interestingly the one thing I did not have an issue with.

Ran into another issue. Series X is refusing to recognize any of my Xbox 360 discs. The drive is fine, though, because I have already been playing Blu-ray movies with it. I even put in an old DVD movie to make sure it just wasn't reading DVD discs and it worked fine. It says "There is a problem getting this content right now."

Ran into another issue. Series X is refusing to recognize any of my Xbox 360 discs. The drive is fine, though, because I have already been playing Blu-ray movies with it. I even put in an old DVD movie to make sure it just wasn't reading DVD discs and it worked fine. It says "There is a problem getting this content right now."
Sounds like some kind of XBL server issue. AFAIK when you put an OG Xbox or Xbox 360 disc in a One or Series S/X, all it's really doing is entitling you to download the BC version. It doesn't just emulate right from the disc like the 360 would when running an OG Xbox disc. Correct me if I'm wrong though

edit: Also it has to be a game on the official BC list for the reasons I stated above. I assume you knew that already but mentioning it just in case.

My son is having a similar problem: the X won't recognize the COD MW disk he had from the XBone - and keeps asking if he wants to buy the game.

Sounds like some kind of XBL server issue. AFAIK when you put an OG Xbox or Xbox 360 disc in a One or Series S/X, all it's really doing is entitling you to download the BC version. It doesn't just emulate right from the disc like the 360 would when running an OG Xbox disc. Correct me if I'm wrong though

edit: Also it has to be a game on the official BC list for the reasons I stated above. I assume you knew that already but mentioning it just in case.
They're definitely on the BC list because the games I tried were Mass Effect, Dragon Age: Origins, Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, Oblivion and Dead Space 2. I know how the BC works on the One and Series X|S. All of those games installed fine my One. I was going to try and hook my external back up to the One X to see if I can install them from there and then move back to the Series X, but that is a real PITA.
My son is having a similar problem: the X won't recognize the COD MW disk he had from the XBone - and keeps asking if he wants to buy the game.
I'll reach out to their support to see if it's a known issue. My Duck-fu is failing me as I can't seem to find any general posts about this issue.

Last edited:
So I fired up Fallout 4 on my Series X b/c I wanted to play the expansions I've not played before like Far Harbor and Nuka World. I have Fallout 4 also on PC, but I don't have the expansions and I didn't feel like purchasing them at this point on PC if I could avoid it. I had bought the Season Pass for Fallout 4 before I had started building PCs again, but never played the expansions.

Anyway I heard that this is one of the games that incorporates the new "FPS Boost" feature, so I turned that on to try it but I was really unhappy with the results. The graphics took too much of a hit to increase the framerate, so I went into the Mods area after disabling FPS Boost because I would just be happier with a stable framerate with the increased visuals to see if there was an FOV mod to increase the default FOV b/c the default FOV on Xbox bothers me. And one of the first Mods suggested me was one that adds an FOV of 90 as well as unlocks 60fps and PC's Ultra settings on the Series X. The only lowered settings mentioned in the mod notes is a slight decrease in the shadow draw distance which I could care less about.

And wow... it was immediately noticeable and I was amazed that a MOD did what otherwise Bethesda hasn't done. FPS Boost to me doesn't matter if the graphics get lowered, and seeing how a simple mod can unlock the framerate and also the 4K Ultra visual settings from PC is truly amazing to me.

I always used to be and still am a PC gamer, but seeing Mods come to a console is amazing to me and just being able to breathe life into games like this again is great from a community standpoint. I know we have had Mods on PCs for forever, but seeing this sort of modding on a console is truly impressive and one that shows immediate improvement in the game. The FPS Boost was great, but the graphics took too much of a hit, however this mod kept the 4K resolution with all graphical options maxed and unlocked the framerate and makes it incredibly noticeable. Got the benefits of "FPS Boost" with the graphical options of the non "FPS Boost" standard "Xbox One X Enhanced" options... in fact it might even look better but hard to tell.

Last edited:
So I fired up Fallout 4 on my Series X b/c I wanted to play the expansions I've not played before like Far Harbor and Nuka World. I have Fallout 4 also on PC, but I don't have the expansions and I didn't feel like purchasing them at this point on PC if I could avoid it. I had bought the Season Pass for Fallout 4 before I had started building PCs again, but never played the expansions.

Anyway I heard that this is one of the games that incorporates the new "FPS Boost" feature, so I turned that on to try it but I was really unhappy with the results. The graphics took too much of a hit to increase the framerate, so I went into the Mods area after disabling FPS Boost because I would just be happier with a stable framerate with the increased visuals to see if there was an FOV mod to increase the default FOV b/c the default FOV on Xbox bothers me. And one of the first Mods suggested me was one that adds an FOV of 90 as well as unlocks 60fps and PC's Ultra settings on the Series X. The only lowered settings mentioned in the mod notes is a slight decrease in the shadow draw distance which I could care less about.

And wow... it was immediately noticeable and I was amazed that a MOD did what otherwise Bethesda hasn't done. FPS Boost to me doesn't matter if the graphics get lowered, and seeing how a simple mod can unlock the framerate and also the 4K Ultra visual settings from PC is truly amazing to me.

I always used to be and still am a PC gamer, but seeing Mods come to a console is amazing to me and just being able to breathe life into games like this again is great from a community standpoint. I know we have had Mods on PCs for forever, but seeing this sort of modding on a console is truly impressive and one that shows immediate improvement in the game. The FPS Boost was great, but the graphics took too much of a hit, however this mod kept the 4K resolution with all graphical options maxed and unlocked the framerate and makes it incredibly noticeable. Got the benefits of "FPS Boost" with the graphical options of the non "FPS Boost" standard "Xbox One X Enhanced" options... in fact it might even look better but hard to tell.
Are there any screenshot comparisons with and without FPS Boost? I thought that the option was only increasing the framerate limit since the hardware should be more than powerful enough to run the Xbox One version at 60 FPS, as evidenced by the mod you are using.

Are there any screenshot comparisons with and without FPS Boost? I thought that the option was only increasing the framerate limit since the hardware should be more than powerful enough to run the Xbox One version at 60 FPS, as evidenced by the mod you are using.
I mean I was sitting right there when I saw the difference FPS Boost made. I will take some screenshots tonight and post tomorrow, but there is definitely a graphical hit somewhere. It was immediately noticeable.

I mean I was sitting right there when I saw the difference FPS Boost made. I will take some screenshots tonight and post tomorrow, but there is definitely a graphical hit somewhere. It was immediately noticeable.
Didn't say I don't believe you, I just want to see for myself. I already went through the torture of getting all the achievements in the game. I don't really want to start it up again :ROFLMAO:

Didn't say I don't believe you, I just want to see for myself. I already went through the torture of getting all the achievements in the game. I don't really want to start it up again :ROFLMAO:

So I just found it confirmed...

Skyrim lands exactly where we expected and works beautifully overall, but the Fallout titles are a little more puzzling. Despite a wide gap in their respective graphics capabilities, both Xbox Series S and X consoles run these titles at 1080p in order to achieve 60 frames per second, even though Xbox One X targeted native 4K.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2021-fps-boost-skyrim-fallout-4-fallout-76

"Series X is running at the Xbox One S settings @ 1080p." ...with FPS Boost.

"With the Fallout titles, the situation is a little more complicated. Starting with Fallout 4, Microsoft has seemingly opted to push both Series X and S onto the Xbox One S codepath, meaning that the game runs at native 1080p, with the frame-rate cap removed. Bear in mind that the game originally ran at a dynamic 1080p on Xbox One S, rising to 4K on One X. The end result is a pleasing experience that ensures a consistent 60fps for the vast majority of play."

They also mention it in this YouTube video @ around 7:08...

Last edited:
An FYI for FPS Boost: If you enable FPS Boost you will lose One X enhancements for the games that had them. So you have to decide whether or not you want higher detail at the original frame rate or lower detail at the higher framerate. Goes with the Fallout 4 discussion above. Seems like they're doing this with every game, unfortunately.

An FYI for FPS Boost: If you enable FPS Boost you will lose One X enhancements for the games that had them. So you have to decide whether or not you want higher detail at the original frame rate or lower detail at the higher framerate. Goes with the Fallout 4 discussion above. Seems like they're doing this with every game, unfortunately.

Is that just mostly for 120 fps capable games? I can't imagine that Series X needs to drop settings going from 30 fps of the One X to 60 fps on the Series X given the dame resolution. It would make sense if is going up to 120 fps from an original 30 fps or an unstable 60 fps on the one X.

Is that just mostly for 120 fps capable games? I can't imagine that Series X needs to drop settings going from 30 fps of the One X to 60 fps on the Series X given the dame resolution. It would make sense if is going up to 120 fps from an original 30 fps or an unstable 60 fps on the one X.
All games, as far as I know. Microsoft probably just doesn't want to optimize for both versions.

All games, as far as I know. Microsoft probably just doesn't want to optimize for both versions.

Where are you getting this exactly? Are you claiming that Far Cry 5, which runs a solid 30 fps 4k with enhancements on the One X needs to drop its image quality on the Series X just to reach 60 fps??

Where are you getting this exactly? Are you claiming that Far Cry 5, which runs a solid 30 fps 4k with enhancements on the One X needs to drop its image quality on the Series X just to reach 60 fps??
The way I understand it is the game will run at standard Xbox One quality instead of with the X enhancements if FPS Boost is turned on.

So glad to see that the Series X still has the issue of suddenly refusing to read you external drive for no reason. Only this time my usual solution of unplugging everything isn't working. I don't understand how this can still be an issue when so many people have complained about it.

Gents, question — I am considering grabbing a series X and am wondering about it’s potential for esports?

Gents, question — I am considering grabbing a series X and am wondering about it’s potential for esports?
f6CJ560.jpg

Apparently my console corrupted the data on my external drive and I needed to reformat it. 10TB of games I had archived now have to be redownloaded. Good thing I have unlimited bandwidth.

Good thing I have unlimited bandwidth.

I do too, they still gave me a call when I chewed up 4 or 5 TBs in a couple of days doing some backups and overhauling. I guess Comcast wanted to make sure I wasn't running an underground internet cafe or something? They can see where the traffic is going, they knew it was Steam and Microsoft.

Someday, I may buy one but only at MSRP and nothing else. I have OG in a closet, my Slim 360 on my 27 inch monitor and my XBox One X on my 43 inch 4k Samsung TV.

Back