X99 on mITX: ASRock X99E-itx/ac

6950 and those 32GB dimms should take us as few years ahead with a good OC.

Agreed. 6950X may be $450 in a year or so. And then if the future truly is multi-core, one of those 22-core Xeons may be an upgrade after that. The 32GB DIMMs may take a while to come down in price, but 32GB is enough for me at the moment.

At some point, it becomes more cost-effective to just get a new board and new stuff. I know someone who still has an AM2+ board from 2008, recently got the most powerful Phenom II X6 CPU for it, 16GB of DDR2, an SSD, and a 1050 Ti, and it's basically a modern gaming PC for not-too-demanding games. But honestly, if he'd just gotten the cheapest H310 motherboard and a Pentium dual-core, it would have performed better and supported all the new features and an upgrade path to a 9900K. So at some point, money is better spent on upgrading your whole platform haha.

Oh, I was just thinking that 4x16G SO-DIMMS plus a new board might still be cheaper than 2x32GB DIMMS. ;)

Yeah, good point. I'm not getting those anytime soon, I'm just glad they exist. I wasn't sure if they were going to do 32GB DDR4 UDIMMs before moving to DDR5.

At some point, it becomes more cost-effective to just get a new board and new stuff. I know someone who still has an AM2+ board from 2008, recently got the most powerful Phenom II X6 CPU for it, 16GB of DDR2, an SSD, and a 1050 Ti, and it's basically a modern gaming PC for not-too-demanding games. But honestly, if he'd just gotten the cheapest H310 motherboard and a Pentium dual-core, it would have performed better and supported all the new features and an upgrade path to a 9900K. So at some point, money is better spent on upgrading your whole platform haha.
If I had known Ryzen would come out... Haha. Jumped on with a 6800k myself.

To think you can jump on AM4 with a $50 200GE and a $90 ITX motherboard. And later upgrade to some yet to be announced 8, 12, maybe 16 core part.

I'm in the same boat as you. I don't really need the upgrade, but I sure wish there was a frugal upgrade path here.

If I had known Ryzen would come out... Haha. Jumped on with a 6800k myself.

To think you can jump on AM4 with a $50 200GE and a $90 ITX motherboard. And later upgrade to some yet to be announced 8, 12, maybe 16 core part.

I'm in the same boat as you. I don't really need the upgrade, but I sure wish there was a frugal upgrade path here.
Yeah I'm in the same boat. No need to upgrade but I Love knowing the ability to do it will be simple and cost effective. At this point I'm planning on going new platform if i were to upgrade but that's still two to three years away.

Question, can the L12S fit on the X99E-ITX/ac with the Noctua narrow ILM kit? I'm thinking about getting the new Lone Industries L5 case when it launches.

Reporting in 3 years later - I've got the X99E-ITX/ac still running strong with my weirdo engineering sample 12-core Xeon E5-2676V3, Noctua NH-C14S, 32GB RAM and MSI GTX 980 Ti. It's been in my backpack and travelled all across the country, done countless overnight transcoding sessions and long hours of gaming. Despite my CPU being 2.4ghz with 3ghz boost, I've been able to shred games and never felt bottlenecked by clock speed, especially because my favorite games (BF1, BFV) are multicore happy. The CPU heatsink is literally cool to the touch at all times, even under heavy sustained loads. I wish I could overclock it.

Plan on shoving a 2080Ti in there this month and keep it going for another couple years. Maybe do a 6950X when the prices come down and clock it to the sky.

Hey guys & ASRock X99E-ITX owners.

I am searching this board for a while and can't find a shop anymore for buy.

I want an upgrade of M-ITX System with a Intel Xeon E5-2618L v4 and 128 GB / 256GB (2X 64 GB or 2x128 GB reg RDIMMs working?)

Anybody here, who wants to sell the board?
It would nicely....

Thanks

Reporting in 3 years later - I've got the X99E-ITX/ac still running strong with my weirdo engineering sample 12-core Xeon E5-2676V3, Noctua NH-C14S, 32GB RAM and MSI GTX 980 Ti. It's been in my backpack and travelled all across the country, done countless overnight transcoding sessions and long hours of gaming. Despite my CPU being 2.4ghz with 3ghz boost, I've been able to shred games and never felt bottlenecked by clock speed, especially because my favorite games (BF1, BFV) are multicore happy. The CPU heatsink is literally cool to the touch at all times, even under heavy sustained loads. I wish I could overclock it.

Plan on shoving a 2080Ti in there this month and keep it going for another couple years. Maybe do a 6950X when the prices come down and clock it to the sky.
I thought about 6950x myself but with the new cpus on both sides it hard to stay on x99. I will say I have no solid reason to upgrade yet but I want too.

Hey guys & ASRock X99E-ITX owners.

I am searching this board for a while and can't find a shop anymore for buy.

I want an upgrade of M-ITX System with a Intel Xeon E5-2618L v4 and 128 GB / 256GB (2X 64 GB or 2x128 GB reg RDIMMs working?)

Anybody here, who wants to sell the board?
It would nicely....

Thanks
If you're patient, I'll be selling mine in a couple weeks.

Blue Fox: Thats great!

Thanks a lot : )

If you like, PM than.

- Any recommendation for big sticks (above 32 GB) of DDR4 reg RDIMMs @ 2133 MHz / @ 2400 MHz (available in EU & working on this board)?
- It´s possibility of disassemble the DRAM Slots for black painting?

I thought about 6950x myself but with the new cpus on both sides it hard to stay on x99. I will say I have no solid reason to upgrade yet but I want too.

I’m upgrading to get more cores and higher clocks on the cores. But I won’t be selling my set up keeping it for a second workstation.

Hello again guys.

If anyone here with experience, with 64 GB or 128 GB reg. ECC RDIMMs onto this Board? Which are compatible with a Xeon CPU?

I had found this, for example:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/SAMSUNG-128...MEMORY-RDIMM-M393AAK40B41-CTC4Q-/303163931242
https://geizhals.eu/samsung-rdimm-64gb-m393a8g40mb2-ctd-a2058566.html

Which Air CPU Cooler of Supermicro is recommended?

Thank you.
Can't help you with larger DIMMs as I'm using 2 x 32GB personally, but for Supermicro heatsinks, you would want the SNK-P0050AP4 model. There are also a lot of other good options from Noctua. I'm using a NH-U9DXi4 myself. The NH-U12DXi4 would also work for you.

Can't help you with larger DIMMs as I'm using 2 x 32GB personally, but for Supermicro heatsinks, you would want the SNK-P0050AP4 model. There are also a lot of other good options from Noctua. I'm using a NH-U9DXi4 myself. The NH-U12DXi4 would also work for you.

Thanks.

I am forget to tell you, that iam using the DAN-A4 v2 Case & iam a little limited of space...

But the Supermicro cooler has the correct dimensions?
I have to check a comparison with the LP53 Cooler for size.

Screenshot_20190725-190550_Chrome.jpg

With that chassis, none of the Supermicro HSF will work. You should ask in the thread for the chassis since I think a few others have a similar setup.

@ Blue Fox: Do you have the
equipment of the board?

The planning components arrived next time:
- Your mobo if later avaible
- Dynatron T318 & Noctua NF-A9x14
- Intel Xeon E5-2630v4 ES (only 85 W TPD)
- 2x Kingston 32 GB 2133 MHz DDR4 reg. ECC @ EK Dominator passive
- Maybe next time a PNY XLR8 CS3030 M.2 NVMe SSD 2TB
- Corsair SF750 80 PLUS Platinum

Thanks.

Last edited:
Dynatron T318 with a Noctua A9x14 ziptied to it is the standard option for X99 in the Dan A4. I still have a T318 lying around that I don't need anymore, in case you can't find it easily available.

edit: Oh, didn't see that there was another page and you already figured it out. Still, offer stands in case you can't find one easily.

Thanks for your offer. I am from germany.
I have to see if the article is already legally binding.

I would like to come back to you then : )

I have the box with all the original accessories if that's what you're asking. Did you mean CPU/RAM as well?

That's more like fine with box & original accessories.

I doesn't know, that you offer me others as the board.

Which Ram & CPU you have?

Xeon E5-2618L v3 and 2 x Samsung M392A4K40BM0. I got VLP RAM so that it wouldn't interfere with any heatsinks.

It's a very good package / combination.

You have 2x32 GB Ram?

The buyed Ram is compatible for my big workstation. The buyed CPU is an ES and was cheap. Maybe I sell it later again.

If your price for the components are good, I take them all.

But the ram (if the size is 64 GB) & board definitely yes.

Which case & cooling you have with this components?

What are the rules for can do private message & marketplace?

Last edited:
Someone on reddit found a used X99E-itx/ac on facebook marketplace (which I didn't even know was a thing) for $20. Made me a little upset. :D

Found this on Facebook marketplace for $20...

To think I paid $250 for mine 3 years ago. It's still a pretty high-end board. I'll upgrade to a 6950X when they get down to $300, that will give it a few more years of useful life. $20 is insane, some idiot didn't know what it was worth.

It's a very good package / combination.

You have 2x32 GB Ram?

The buyed Ram is compatible for my big workstation. The buyed CPU is an ES and was cheap. Maybe I sell it later again.

If your price for the components are good, I take them all.

But the ram (if the size is 64 GB) & board definitely yes.

Which case & cooling you have with this components?

What are the rules for can do private message & marketplace?
Yeah, I have 2 x 32GB. I'm using an NCASE M1 and a Noctua NH-U9DXi4 cooler. You need 100 posts for PMs (don't spam your way to it). Send me a message here and we can figure something out: https://www.heatware.com/u/33115

Someone on reddit found a used X99E-itx/ac on facebook marketplace (which I didn't even know was a thing) for $20. Made me a little upset. :D

Found this on Facebook marketplace for $20...

To think I paid $250 for mine 3 years ago. It's still a pretty high-end board. I'll upgrade to a 6950X when they get down to $300, that will give it a few more years of useful life. $20 is insane, some idiot didn't know what it was worth.

Don't know if its solved now but keep in mind:
https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/...03-disables-my-cpu-overclock-i7-6950x.256450/

Has anyone a idea to buy two heatspreader for 2x VLP DDR4 Sticks like this?
https://www.taiwantrade.com/product/stamping-aluminum-hard-drive-heat-sink-dimm-1110919.html
http://www.memorypack.com.tw/dram memory module heat sinks heat spreader ddr3 ddr2 ddr1 sdr long dimm so dimm vlp dimm vlp so dimm vlp mini dimm micro dimm fb dimm sun module.htm
I like the design & the protection.
There is no need for better cooling.

Or maybe there are still heatspreader exist onto the Samsung M392A4K40BM0 ?

Last edited:
Yup, I now have 256GB 2400 mhz working on the asrock x99 :)

It's possible, that's wonderfully, with which part number its possible to achieve 128 GB /256 GB DDR4 reg. ECC RDIMMs or LRDIMMs?
We need a special bios version too?

I had buyed the ASRock X99E-ITX & Intel Xeon E5-2618L v3 of Bluefox (thanks again for the deal) ... Now i want to buy the most possible ram of two sticks for VMware.

Big thanks for help / information.

PS. The only available Sticks, that I have found are https://geizhals.eu/samsung-rdimm-64gb-m393a8g40mb2-ctd-a2058566.html

Last edited:
For luck (don´t know if the board has the support) i buyed today SK Hynix 256 GB (2x 128GB) RDIMM DDR4-2666MHz, reg. ECC (HMABAGR7A4R4N-VN) Sticks in ebay.

First of all, some older pics of the current setup with 2x 32 GB reg. 2133 MHz RDIMMs (borrow of my big WS):

Optic:
image-jpg.jpg

20190714_145544-jpg.jpg

20191105_221741-jpg.jpg

Temps:
2019-11-05-22_23_24-hwinfo64-v5-72-3333-sensor-status-jpg.jpg

2019-11-05-22_24_44-hwinfo64-v5-72-3333-sensor-status-jpg.jpg

2019-11-05-22_21_39-hwinfo64-v5-72-3333-sensor-status-jpg.jpg

tekm:
Hello
I got the "EK Supremacy ILM Narrow Mounting plate" and thought about the dimensions and so on.
I compared your picture regarding cutting and planing and the conclusion, with my measurements, is that the drilled holes for should be milled 3mm to fit.
Is that true with your observations?

If you send me your E-mail, I'll show you what I mean ( I´m got no URL-).

Bjoern
Wat8.jpg

Excellent idea! I went a different route by modding an EK Supremacy ILM Mounting plate though it was necessary to slightly offset the cooler to avoid interference with the RAM (it will still completely cover the CPU though). Low profile RAM may have helped here but I wanted 16gb sticks and I don't think any shorter ones exist yet.

CePv2aLl.jpg

PdRk4O5l.jpg

fuWf4dSl.jpg

M7h2LDQl.jpg

ujSGBHJl.jpg

5OM8eQMl.jpg

Hello
I got the "EK Supremacy ILM Narrow Mounting plate" and thought about the dimensions and so on.
I compared your picture regarding cutting and planing and the conclusion, with my measurements, is that the drilled holes for should be milled 3mm to fit.
Is that true with your observations?

If you send me your E-mail, I'll show you what I mean ( I´m got no URL-).

Bjoern

Edit: See copper-plate, you´ll see that distance between screw-holes is 54mm square, hence
must be accommodated up to a distance of 54mm.

Attachments

• WP_20191206_14_45_30_Pro.jpg
    WP_20191206_14_45_30_Pro.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I have swapped my thermalright TY-100 fan for a NF-A9x14 CHROMAX on my asetek AIO liquid cooler and my corsair sf600 power supply. They may look the same as the regular NF-A9x14 but the results are ASTONISHING.

- It has the same quiet operation.
- Its max RPM is faster than the regular brown NF-A9x14 PWM (2200rpm vs 2500), so it is a lot better for cpu cooling.
- It is black, so it looks a lot more elegant than the brown one.
- It handles my 22 cores xeon e5-2696 V4 like a charm, a lot better and quietter than my old thermalright ty100 fan, max temps while rendering are 76º with all cores on turbo. This is a 155w TDP so I’m very impressed!!!

30-BE9982-CDF6-4040-A5-FA-EA9-CBA0-DA051.jpg

(the fan in the power supply is a noctua chromax, i swapped the sticker with the original fan)

If you are going to upgrade the fan I can only recommend it!

I have swapped my thermalright TY-100 fan for a NF-A9x14 CHROMAX on my asetek AIO liquid cooler and my corsair sf600 power supply. They may look the same as the regular NF-A9x14 but the results are ASTONISHING.

- It has the same quiet operation.
- Its max RPM is faster than the regular brown NF-A9x14 PWM (2200rpm vs 2500), so it is a lot better for cpu cooling.
- It is black, so it looks a lot more elegant than the brown one.
- It handles my 22 cores xeon e5-2696 V4 like a charm, a lot better and quietter than my old thermalright ty100 fan, max temps while rendering are 76º with all cores on turbo. This is a 155w TDP so I’m very impressed!!!

View attachment 214804
(the fan in the power supply is a noctua chromax, i swapped the sticker with the original fan)

If you are going to upgrade the fan I can only recommend it!

that’s interesting. I probably would take the time to do it if I wasn’t planning on upgrading to threadripper.

My Mobo died last night! Ram checks out, CPU checks out and psu checks out. Onward to Ryzen for me I guess

Anybody have experience going back to older bios revisions?

I haven't paid any attention to my computer for some time and just realized I'm on the 3.80 revision which I believe was created just to add microcode for specter fixes.

I'm one of those nutters who would rather have his system performance back. I want to go back to 3.6 to get rid of that microcode and then after that I will patch to stop Windows 10 from putting the new microcode on itself.

So is it possible/safe for me to go back to 3.6?

I've got an 18-core E5-2695 V4 cpu (ES) coming in the mail (they are super cheap on aliexpress) and a couple of Crucial 32GB ram sticks (CT32G4RFD424A) are on the way as well.

This will be a nice upgrade from the 2x16GB RAM plus 5820K i7 I have now.

But I'd like to get the full performance out of my system for the second half of its life.

Advice?

Back