x99 motherboard

bal3wolf

Limp Gawd
Ok i been kinda looking into some x99 hardware but and i also want it to match my tubing color of white so been paying to attention how boards look so far iv found the 3 below. I like the sli krait the best so far color wise but i want a decent overclocking board also any help is welcome thank you. Looking at boards that are either solid black or mixed with some white under 250ud.

ASUS X99-A II LGA 2011-v3

MSI X99A SLI KRAIT

MSI X99A TOMAHAWK

GIGABYTE GA-X99P-SLI

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd avoid Gigabyte. I have the first generation of that board you have listed, and it took them eighteen months to produce a Bios that works at all, and even then, it's a beta, and totally crashes if you adjust some of the settings like turning off the audio codec LEDs.

I like the MSI X99 board that I have, though. Between the two you have listed, I'd take the Tomahawk, especially if appearance is something you really care about.

yea msi have been the ones i like the most so far for under 250usd im trying to stick to. I fixed the link i had both msi going to same link sorry.

ASUS X99A and A II, ASUS X99 Deluxe and Deluxe II, ASRock Taichi...a few others I'm sure. I've personally used the MSI X99A SLI Plus but wasn't a fan of the bios. Same with the ASRock Taichi and the EVGA FTWK boards that I tried. LOVE the ASUS bios. Great overclocking options. I'm currently using the X99A II and love it.

i do like the ASUS X99-A II and i like asus most my motherboards i own have been asus and always work great.

I've played around with 3 different x99 boards, my Asus X99-A/USB3.1, a MSI X99 Gaming 7, and an Asrock X99 Professional Gaming. My favorite was the Asrock, closely followed by my Asus board. Both the Asrock and Asus boards overclocked the same, with the MSI needing extra voltage to reach the same clocks. The biggest thing I liked about the Asock board over the Asus board other than the extra features was the VRM cooling, with the VRM about 8C cooler after a 2 hour stress test.

If I was buying a board today, I'd go with the Asrock X99 Professional Gaming, and if your looking to save a few $, the Taichi.

im liking the ASUS X99-A II but i wonder if the mount brackets come off around cpu to install a water block ? same with the asrock.

im liking the ASUS X99-A II but i wonder if the mount brackets come off around cpu to install a water block ? same with the asrock.

You shouldn't have to remove anything to install a water jacket. Unlike the pleb platforms, 2011-V3 sockets have threaded bosses built into the socket. When you install a water jacket (or any cooler, really), you thread bolts or studs directly into the board, with no backplate.

oh thats cool bout time they did that lol.

They've been doing it for a while. You just have to get the top dawg platform to get it.

Also worth remembering: 2011-V3 enthusiast CPUs do not come with a heatsink, and the hole pattern is different from that used for the pleb sockets. Make sure you have a compatible cooling mechanism of some sort.

No need to remove anything on the X99-A II to mount a block.

OkNZuLF.jpg

Back