X570 Crosshair VIII Dark Hero

lol "besides that".

The vrms on all the whole CH was already overkill. These chips don't overclock like a bat out of hell so what's the point in having 20amp higher vrms????? Oh wait you get a tweaked method to oc and a bigger chipset sink, wooh!

The vrms on all the whole CH was already overkill. These chips don't overclock like a bat out of hell so what's the point in having 20amp higher vrms????? Oh wait you get a tweaked method to oc and a bigger chipset sink, wooh!
I dunno I haven't used it yet (still waiting on some parts to start my new build) but seeing how der8auer thinks it's pretty nifty I think it's going to be worth it. I mean that's why you're in this thread right?

Last edited:
I bought the Dark Hero...
Because I am a dark hero.

The age of shining paladins and wicked wizards has passed.

This new age... is morally gray. Ethically dark. Like me.
Because I'm a dark hero.

I fight both the shadows... and the light, if need be.
Because at the end of the day...
The sun goes down.

But that doesn't mean the battle is over.... kid.

yeah I have distil running still on this board until my order in my hands. Ill post links here if it pops but remember your looking at 2-4mins tops and its OOS

I was finally able to get an order in for the Dark Hero at B&H Photo! Said expected availability 7-10 days
1606833971954.png

I dunno I haven't used it yet (still waiting on some parts to start my new build) but seeing how der8auer thinks it's pretty nifty I think it's going to be worth it. I mean that's why you're in this thread right?

Yea... nifty. OK bro. Maybe you missed it the first time, these chips don't overclock like mad. You will get maybe a few hundred points in cinebench for all the work and at the end of the day you'll run it with pbo or curve optimizer anyways because the silicon fitness monitor is better at not frying the chip compared to you the user.

yeah, for me this is a new build. I just want the newest stuff I can get for my cash. This board is better than the hero wifi version period. Does it matter much? Prob not, but why pay 400$ for a board if its not the latest revision?

yeah, for me this is a new build. I just want the newest stuff I can get for my cash. This board is better than the hero wifi version period. Does it matter much? Prob not, but why pay 400$ for a board if its not the latest revision?

That's a fine reason to get this board. Don't misunderstand my point which is that this board won't turn any Ryzen into some kind of overclock hero, much less a dark one at that like some are hoping wishing for. The reality is that boards half the cost will allow the cpu to achieve the same performance becuase AMD's made the curve optimizer available to all.

agree. I am excited to tinker with AMD again. Has been ages. All I do expect is the stock performance. Anything beyond that is cake :)

Yea... nifty. OK bro. Maybe you missed it the first time, these chips don't overclock like mad. You will get maybe a few hundred points in cinebench for all the work and at the end of the day you'll run it with pbo or curve optimizer anyways because the silicon fitness monitor is better at not frying the chip compared to you the user.

Who said anything about it OCing like mad? The dynamic OC is actually super convenient for maintaining max performance over different workloads. You sound super salty.

I think he's making the point that working hard to get a super-high end board only makes sense if you're doing extreme overclocks (trying for them), or need the features... waiting on one of these just because it's "new" is likely not worth it.

Who said anything about it OCing like mad? The dynamic OC is actually super convenient for maintaining max performance over different workloads. You sound super salty.

You seem really confused since you're the one who suggested overclocking by referring to debaeur. The post above fully encapsulates my point that this board will do jack for overclocking over any other board. Their overclock switcher is not better than the curve optimizer or just regular old PBO.

You seem really confused since you're the one who suggested overclocking by referring to debaeur. The post above fully encapsulates my point that this board will do jack for overclocking over any other board. Their overclock switcher is not better than the curve optimizer or just regular old PBO.

I know exactly what its for and why i bought it. You keep making assumptions and excuses for why the board isn’t worth it. Derbauer showed why it’s a great feature and i linked the exact timestamp of why. The fact you keep downplaying it just suggests you don’t understand it or are just super salty. Either way I couldn’t care less.

I think he's making the point that working hard to get a super-high end board only makes sense if you're doing extreme overclocks (trying for them), or need the features... waiting on one of these just because it's "new" is likely not worth it.

I always shoot for the best performance i can get within reason. I eventually plan to use a TEC on the 5950x when EK or someone else releases a variant of the Intel TEC. For now the dynamic OC on water will be quite useful and better than standard PBO.

I always shoot for the best performance i can get within reason. I eventually plan to use a TEC on the 5950x when EK or someone else releases a variant of the Intel TEC. For now the dynamic OC on water will be quite useful and better than standard PBO.
And that's fair - I did the same for my gaming box with Z490/10700k. Waiting on pre-blocked 3080s to start overclocking (want to know the overall temp of my loop under load before I start pushing things) - but a gaming system, I could have gotten away with a much cheaper board.

And that's fair - I did the same for my gaming box with Z490/10700k. Waiting on pre-blocked 3080s to start overclocking (want to know the overall temp of my loop under load before I start pushing things) - but a gaming system, I could have gotten away with a much cheaper board.

Yah for sure, if i wanted 99% of the performance I could have gone for a b550 board and been done with it. But where’s the fun in that? It’s why we spend money on custom loops and boards.

Got mine ordered. Hopefully all goes smooth.

I can’t wait to try the Dynamic OC. The fun might happen when they release all the tools like Curve Optimizer and the AGESA that fixes fclk.

Got mine ordered. Hopefully all goes smooth.

I can’t wait to try the Dynamic OC. The fun might happen when they release all the tools like Curve Optimizer and the AGESA that fixes fclk.

I just grabbed another one off Amazon for my buddy. Guess he can cancel his Strix-e now and use this instead. So far i found him a evga 3080 and this board. Dude owes me a few beers.
0FF1899C-6A3A-4AD0-803C-6A8004C681BF.jpeg

Reactions: takt_
like this
I’ve been refreshing every site and I’ve yet to see it in stock! Congrats hopefully I catch one soon.

Looks like shopblt updated their eta page for the dark hero, they currently have 370 units coming in with an eta of 12/14.

MB.jpg

That's how many they ordered. Who knows if they will actually receive that many on the 14th.
I believe the 370 number is how many units Asus is sending to them in total which then shopblt is splitting up between their warehouses. Looks like based on demand, only the warehouses that have at least 50 pre-orders nearest to them will get units sent around the listed eta date. I could be wrong though, but I hope I'm not since we all want these boards lol.

mb1.jpg

I believe the 370 number is how many units Asus is sending to them in total which then shopblt is splitting up between their warehouses. Looks like based on demand, only the warehouses that have at least 50 pre-orders nearest to them will get units sent around the listed eta date. I could be wrong though, but I hope I'm not since we all want these boards lol.

View attachment 305209
I hope you're right as well because that would mean I get a board.

I got one more Dark Hero today. I asked another buddy who's building an AMD system if he wants it, if he doesn't, then I'll do one of three things:
1. Offer it up here at MSRP
2. Return it
3. Offer it on the telegram group I'm part of as the guy who writes the code for it has asked me for a board ironically enough even though its his bot.

I got one more Dark Hero today. I asked another buddy who's building an AMD system if he wants it, if he doesn't, then I'll do one of three things:
2. Return it
3. Offer it on the telegram group I'm part of as the guy who writes the code for it has asked me for a board ironically enough even though its his bot.
Lmk I’ll take it off your hands

2. Return it
If panicknife doesn't take it I'll buy it for my buddy.

Anyone know if newegg has gotten any in and shipped yet? Curious if my preorder with them did not make the first shipment or if they have yet to ship any.

Newegg hasn't had any for some time. I talked with Provantage and they told me their next shipment was no earlier than 12/31, and the CS rep cautioned that could be a placeholder. At that point I cancelled my order and decided to stick with the CH VIII Hero wifi I picked up last Friday night on Newegg. Good move as even that one had been sold out for a week and sold out again that night after an hour or so.

For now its take what you can get. I had to stake out my local Micro Center to get a 5900x, and the only reason I have a 3080 is because of EVGA's queuing system.

Newegg hasn't had any for some time. I talked with Provantage and they told me their next shipment was no earlier than 12/31, and the CS rep cautioned that could be a placeholder. At that point I cancelled my order and decided to stick with the CH VIII Hero wifi I picked up last Friday night on Newegg. Good move as even that one had been sold out for a week and sold out again that night after an hour or so.

For now its take what you can get. I had to stake out my local Micro Center to get a 5900x, and the only reason I have a 3080 is because of EVGA's queuing system.

Their next shipment? IF I got an order in last week, does that count as next order?

I'd only be speculating. But what I can say is I placed my order around 1PM EST on 11/21. Orginally they had 11/30 as the restock date, and I emailed them about this on 11/25. Here's what they said.

"As it stands the line item received is heavily backordered. The previous ETA provided is 11-30. However ETAs are estimated time frames and stock can be pushed to later dates as we are unable to guarantee ETAs. Our other channels are showing ETAs of Late December-Early January. Given how heavily backordered this line is I would say its entirely possible this ETA is pushed to the later time frame."

After reading this, I decided to snatch up a non-Dark model if possible, but leave my order open until after 11/30 and then ask again. When I did, they told me the next shipping date was 12/31, which, again, I think is a placeholder as both days were the last days of the current month.

My chip and motherboard are 7.5 years old and I have a 5900x and 3080 FTW 3 in possession. Waiting perhaps another 3 to 6 months is not worth it to me just to get passive cooling. Hopefully the chipset fan on the CH VIII wifi holds up. I tend to long-haul my chip and motherboard, so passive cooling seemed prudent. For the same reason I didn't want a b550 because I want the full range of features available to the Zen 3 platform. So, I'm rolling the dice with the fan.

I'd only be speculating. But what I can say is I placed my order around 1PM EST on 11/21. Orginally they had 11/30 as the restock date, and I emailed them about this on 11/25. Here's what they said.

"As it stands the line item received is heavily backordered. The previous ETA provided is 11-30. However ETAs are estimated time frames and stock can be pushed to later dates as we are unable to guarantee ETAs. Our other channels are showing ETAs of Late December-Early January. Given how heavily backordered this line is I would say its entirely possible this ETA is pushed to the later time frame."

After reading this, I decided to snatch up a non-Dark model if possible, but leave my order open until after 11/30 and then ask again. When I did, they told me the next shipping date was 12/31, which, again, I think is a placeholder as both days were the last days of the current month.

My chip and motherboard are 7.5 years old and I have a 5900x and 3080 FTW 3 in possession. Waiting perhaps another 3 to 6 months is not worth it to me just to get passive cooling. Hopefully the chipset fan on the CH VIII wifi holds up. I tend to long-haul my chip and motherboard, so passive cooling seemed prudent. For the same reason I didn't want a b550 because I want the full range of features available to the Zen 3 platform. So, I'm rolling the dice with the fan.
Touche

i am feeling the same way. However my B&H order for the dark hero is told to be in their possession on 12/15. I have a CH VIII wifi in hand if my preorder doesn't ship in the month of December. I am personally going on 10 years on my Mobo/CPU/Ram, so i too am a little nervous about the fan, if i have to go that route.

i am feeling the same way. However my B&H order for the dark hero is told to be in their possession on 12/15. I have a CH VIII wifi in hand if my preorder doesn't ship in the month of December. I am personally going on 10 years on my Mobo/CPU/Ram, so i too am a little nervous about the fan, if i have to go that route.
Given how little the fans run, I wouldn’t be surprised if they last just fine. Or, take off the shield and slap a small HSF on it. We used to have to do that before anyway.

Back