X570 Crosshair VIII Dark Hero

Did you get a chance to watch the DerBaur video where he goes into the changes in BIOS?

the new setting are definitely worth the extra $70.

It allows you to set your load limit per CCX for Multi-core overclocking yet still retain the ability to boost single threaded using the built in boosting. It's a really great feature and it's the only board which can do that (for now, anyway)

You get the best of the single core overclocks and the best multi-core overclocks as well...

I wonder if Asus will release an updated BIOS for their top of the line Crosshair Formula board to support this feature as well, assuming there are no additional hardware requirements.

I wonder if Asus will release an updated BIOS for their top of the line Crosshair Formula board to support this feature as well, assuming there are no additional hardware requirements.
That would make sense - I see no real reason why it couldn't be done on the regular Crosshair VIII Hero.

That would make sense - I see no real reason why it couldn't be done on the regular Crosshair VIII Hero.
SkatterBencher on YouTube received this mobo and asked Asus about the feature. Seems like its only available for Dark Hero at this point. I don’t remember if it was also from his video where Asus mentioned that there were changes at the PCB level to accommodate this feature, if you believe that.

SkatterBencher on YouTube received this mobo and asked Asus about the feature. Seems like its only available for Dark Hero at this point. I don’t remember if it was also from his video where Asus mentioned that there were changes at the PCB level to accommodate this feature, if you believe that.
As far as we know the only difference is higher-end VRMs, but even with the base Hero ones, unless you are doing extreme overclocking they should be more than sufficient. Seems like a ploy to generate more demand.

i have all my other parts, just waiting on this motherboard. Should i wait on this dark hero or just order a regular hero? i dont plan on doing any major overlocking but i seem to have in my head that the fan is going to fail.

i have all my other parts, just waiting on this motherboard. Should i wait on this dark hero or just order a regular hero? i dont plan on doing any major overlocking but i seem to have in my head that the fan is going to fail.
Depends on how long you want to wait. It seems there is very high demand for this board, I would expect it to sell out really fast.

As far as we know the only difference is higher-end VRMs, but even with the base Hero ones, unless you are doing extreme overclocking they should be more than sufficient. Seems like a ploy to generate more demand.
I was referring to the Dynamic OC Switcher BIOS setting unique to the Dark Hero board and not the VRM or passive cooling for differences, which we knew about before from their initial announcement.

I was referring to the Dynamic OC Switcher BIOS setting unique to the Dark Hero board and not the VRM or passive cooling for differences, which we knew about before from their initial announcement.
I know, you mentioned they said something about PCB changes - as far as we know that's not really the case, or at least not anything that would cause other boards to not be able to have the same feature.

I know, you mentioned they said something about PCB changes - as far as we know that's not really the case, or at least not anything that would cause other boards to not be able to have the same feature.
I don’t recall if it was him or another Tech YouTuber who confirmed with Asus the DOC feature was exclusive to Dark Hero because of PCB changes.

Not really going to sit through another couple of 20+ min videos to check it. Maybe I misheard so best to treat it as hearsay.

I don’t recall if it was him or another Tech YouTuber who confirmed with Asus the DOC feature was exclusive to Dark Hero because of PCB changes.

Not really going to sit through another couple of 20+ min videos to check it. Maybe I misheard so best to treat it as hearsay.
Elmor said that the pcb was updated on overclock.

Reactions: takt_
like this
Asus is sea freighting these bad boys to NA, lol at the snail pace of availability.

Asus is sea freighting these bad boys to NA, lol at the snail pace of availability.
Actually I do hope they are arriving by boat - and in mass quantities so that they don't sell out 15 seconds after they go up for sale like just about every other hot item that has hit of late. (AMD 5000 series and Nvidia 3000 series, I'm looking at you!!)

Actually I do hope they are arriving by boat - and in mass quantities so that they don't sell out 15 seconds after they go up for sale like just about every other hot item that has hit of late. (AMD 5000 series and Nvidia 3000 series, I'm looking at you!!)
At this point, I won't be surprise if they sell out. 2020 man...lol

If we stop talking about them maybe people will not notice when they do go in stock and we can get one.
lol, deal. I do have a X570 Crosshair VIII Hero coming as I need to replace the X570 Aorus Master soon and need a backup when I do strike out on the Dark Hero.

New update on US availability from Asus
https://www.facebook.com/groups/ASUSPCDIY/permalink/3537799066303155/

11/18/2021 -
We have received our shipment and in the process of coordinating with channel partners for SKU up ( getting the board online ). We also have upcoming replenishment shipments coming in to ensure broader channel availability.

*it is important to understand that once it is received and shipped/released by us to our channel partners the timeline to list the product will vary from etailer/retailer due to their logistics systems.​

At this point I'm using them as a placeholder since I was able to preorder. If I can get one through newegg or amazon sooner, I'll cancel my preorder with those guys.

Real question is if they are a proper reseller. I've never heard of them.

At this point I'm using them as a placeholder since I was able to preorder. If I can get one through newegg or amazon sooner, I'll cancel my preorder with those guys.
I called them, he said he has no information on when/if they will get it.. that they are tied into some database and it auto lists items or something he said.. I dunno.. I did not feel confident so did not order hehe

What that means is they just auto-list what is at the distributor - since places like direct dial just act as a retail channel for distribution like Ingram Micro and others - so that's a good thing as that means that plenty of retailers will be getting access to the same stock sooner than later

I called them, he said he has no information on when/if they will get it.. that they are tied into some database and it auto lists items or something he said.. I dunno.. I did not feel confident so did not order hehe
No problem, at this point I don't think they could be worse than tigerdirect. I will let you know.

FYI - on the support forums Asus claimed the Dynamic OC feature will not be coming to other Hero boards, citing "PCB differences".

Seems like bullshit to me but, who knows.

id think amazon will have it pretty soon too.

amazon loves me since i buy work items with them and have spent over 100k in the past year.

Odd to see this board has no video out. Something for set up and testing if no other reason.

Damn! that's a lot of return. I wonder if their system flags account if total returns exceeds a certain amount of $$ per month/annual.
Some people have been banned from buying from Amazon due to too many returns. I remember reading about it on this forum a while back. At least I think it was here. The person said Amazon told them it was due to too many returns in a certain time period or something. Not sure on the details, but yes, Amazon will apparently ban frequent returners. Keep in mind we only hear one side of the story, so it is possible that the returned items were not what they were originally (ie. buy and swap) or un-resaleable somehow or something else, we'll never know.

Back