X570 Crosshair VIII Dark Hero

It has a button on the back plate to reset the bios, so you don't have to pull the battery.
Damn, you're right. Thanks, I completely missed that. My case is a bit on the heavy/unwieldy side, so I rarely move it around to get at the back panel. Would have saved me the hassle of popping the battery out.

For once I'm glad I wasn't able to get the parts as early as I normally do. I'm happy to let you all figure this out before I get my build completed.

Even though I haven't actually used mine yet, I do have to say I do not like the way Asus did some of the design stuff with this board. The USB3 and SATA are using right angle mounts (good!) but the 24-pin connector isn't right angled (inconsistent). Also dumb is that to remove the plastic protective film from the Audio chip you have to remove the plate which covers it. (which should negate the need for even using the protective film in the first place...just dumb on their part)

I'm at the point where I am measuring tube lengths and will be printing my pump mount this weekend so I am really hopeful I have the system up and running by next weekend (not the one coming up this week)

notarat just dont run docp/xmp with your kit from start as hittin 2000 IF isnt stable yet you should be able to run 3800mhz cl 16 with some tighter timings. and check out der8uaers vid on this board i use his settings on my rig was stable and light years ahead of my old 7980xe rig.

It has a button on the back plate to reset the bios, so you don't have to pull the battery.
This is what I did after I flashed 3601 and couldn't boot since I didn't realize I couldn't restore profile. Pressed it on the back and I was good to go. A god send since at the time since I had all the buttons on the bottom blocked off by a radiator.

notarat just dont run docp/xmp with your kit from start as hittin 2000 IF isnt stable yet you should be able to run 3800mhz cl 16 with some tighter timings. and check out der8uaers vid on this board i use his settings on my rig was stable and light years ahead of my old 7980xe rig.

Thanks for the info! Will check out the video when I get home.

Der8auer DH Vid notarat here is the vid sorry didnt include in original post i am now working on the curve optimizer as i still see spikes of 1.514 and i know its ok if its only for a sec but i want to tweak that best i can.

I just updated BIOS 3601 for Dark Hero no issues, running 4 dimm ram cl 14 3800/1900 no plm.
cl143800 1900.jpg

Der8auer DH Vid notarat here is the vid sorry didnt include in original post i am now working on the curve optimizer as i still see spikes of 1.514 and i know its ok if its only for a sec but i want to tweak that best i

I just updated BIOS 3601 for Dark Hero no issues, running 4 dimm ram cl 14 3800/1900 no plm.
View attachment 368769
Nice getting a 3950x to run at 1900 fclk. Here's my 64 GB Hynix kit using 1usmus timings. I didn't mess with anything else though. I let the BIOS default do all of the voltages and non-timing settings except I'm experimenting with under-volting with the curve optimizer.

1624498263733.png

1624498594785.png

Last edited:
Also dumb is that to remove the plastic protective film from the Audio chip you have to remove the plate which covers it. (which should negate the need for even using the protective film in the first place...just dumb on their part)

Huh? All the films that were covering the MOBO came off easily. What is this plate that has a hidden plastic film underneath it? You are telling me there is hidden film under some plate that I don't know about? Can you point out where it is?

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/asus-rog-crosshair-viii-dark-hero-c8h/9.html

Attachments

• mobo.JPG
    mobo.JPG
    108.6 KB · Views: 0
Not all motherboards have the plastic over the audio chip. Mine didn't. Seems like Asus forgot to remove it in some boards.

Exactly where you circled.

Why they'd put one of those protective plastic covers on THAT is a mystery
maybe it's on the chip by default and they forgot to remove it on your board before the cover plate was installed.

Reactions: Azrak
like this
Afternoon,

I have a quick question about the BIOS. Should I update it to the latest? Or, is there a preferred version?

So I'm ready to start leak testing but, before I do that I have a question.

Based on the manual I'm guessing it's better to connect the D5 pump I have to the H_AMP header since it's Q-Fan controlled, right?

conx.jpg

Here's a pic of the mock-up

IMAG0091.jpg

So I'm ready to start leak testing but, before I do that I have a question.

Based on the manual I'm guessing it's better to connect the D5 pump I have to the H_AMP header since it's Q-Fan controlled, right?

View attachment 369758

Here's a pic of the mock-up

View attachment 369759
I believe you are fine with either of the 3 amp/36 volt ports. The water+ port defaults to full speed, but you can change it to q fan control in the bios.

W_PUMP+ and AIO_PUMP default to full speed, but you can configure them for PWM or voltage control in the BIOS if you like. So you can use whichever header is most convenient to you.

edit: doh, didn't see the other reply while I was typing. Yeah, what he said.

I believe you are fine with either of the 3 amp/36 volt ports. The water+ port defaults to full speed, but you can change it to q fan control in the bios.

W_PUMP+ and AIO_PUMP default to full speed, but you can configure them for PWM or voltage control in the BIOS if you like. So you can use whichever header is most convenient to you.

edit: doh, didn't see the other reply while I was typing. Yeah, what he said.

Thank you both

Currently have the 12v connected to Molex to power the pump. The 24-pin is jumped (and not connected to mobo). The the 4 and 8-pin are disconnected at the PSU and the vid card's three 8-pin connectors are disconnected at the PSU.

I'm about 40 minutes into leak testing and no leaks (so far...)

what would be considered high temps with this rig i have. 5950x pbo/dynamic switcher on 420 aio with 6 fans. seeing temps of about 60c max during stressing 74c gaming seems to sit around 55c to maybe 60 after a hour. im wondering if i could do a curve optimization to help the spikes in voltage to 1.514v

what would be considered high temps with this rig i have. 5950x pbo/dynamic switcher on 420 aio with 6 fans. seeing temps of about 60c max during stressing 74c gaming seems to sit around 55c to maybe 60 after a hour. im wondering if i could do a curve optimization to help the spikes in voltage to 1.514v
It runs hot because of how many transistors are packed into a small area. The voltage spikes you see are considered normal.

Thank you I'll keep a eye on temps overtime but seems to be working without issue when rendering vids or editing. If I start seeing 80-90 I'll look into repasting.

Thank you I'll keep a eye on temps overtime but seems to be working without issue when rendering vids or editing. If I start seeing 80-90 I'll look into repasting.
When I run PBO with motherboard limits and some slight offsts in the curve optimizer, a CB20 run will reach the high 80s and max the fans on my radiator. That's PBO doing it's thing. You can set it to thermal throttle at say, 80, if you want to avoid any worry about it.

First was a 5900x I got with ram in a bundle then the faithful call came through with bestbuy to get a 5950x at MSRP then my 3400g for my overkill Nas which should last untill I can get a 5700g for just a lil more cpu power. It'll be nice build once case arrives I'll post here and update once I get hands on one.

I have a haswell-E system and I just acquired a 5900x to upgrade it and this MOBO. I currently have the following memory kit. I don’t really plan on overclocking the memory so was wondering if this will work or if I need to upgrade my memory as well:
Ballistix Sport LT 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000) Desktop Memory Model BLS2K16G4D30AESB

I have a haswell-E system and I just acquired a 5900x to upgrade it and this MOBO. I currently have the following memory kit. I don’t really plan on overclocking the memory so was wondering if this will work or if I need to upgrade my memory as well:
Ballistix Sport LT 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000) Desktop Memory Model BLS2K16G4D30AESB
From researching I think I need to upgrade. Would you get DDR3600 CL16 or DDR4000 CL18. Price difference is like $15

thought lower latency helped with apus and the built in graphics, that and speed of course. would we see a measurable difference in 14 cl over 16 cl at same speeds though. what would lower latency do for a top end 5950x better compute performance or sheer speed advantages in compiling?

thought lower latency helped with apus and the built in graphics, that and speed of course. would we see a measurable difference in 14 cl over 16 cl at same speeds though. what would lower latency do for a top end 5950x better compute performance or sheer speed advantages in compiling?
Measurable, yes. But anything is measurable once enough resolution is applied. When measuring a mountain, one does not use a micrometer. The difference in performance between CAS 14 and CAS 16 in a 3600 DDR4 RAM kit is fuck all when applied to a 5950x as far as overall performance goes.

Measurable, yes. But anything is measurable once enough resolution is applied. When measuring a mountain, one does not use a micrometer. The difference in performance between CAS 14 and CAS 16 in a 3600 DDR4 RAM kit is fuck all when applied to a 5950x as far as overall performance goes.

I wonder how much DRAM latency will matter to most people when AMD launches those chips with 96/192MB L3.

they are coming in the threadripper if the reports are to be believed that will be a sick update if work resumes on climate model changes and permafrost records.

A brand new, non-beta BIOS for the ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero was released today:

BIOS Version 3801

1. Update to AMD AM4 AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.3 Patch C
2. Improved system performance

Get it here.

oooo ill update once my 5950x comes back from rma died too soon, hope it wasnt he board but ill make sure it has instore warrenty as well.

Back