X570 Crosshair VIII Dark Hero

The original owner may never have taken them off. I buy used stuff all the time with the plastic still on them.

Hmm! I was thinking of picking a cheap 5900x (prices dropping all the time) and building a backup PC. So would you trust this mobo? Warranty still valid for another 2 years! or maybe just buy a 5600x and use it as an internet PC! Never again will I buy expensive mobo!!!!

Hmm! I was thinking of picking a cheap 5900x (prices dropping all the time) and building a backup PC. So would you trust this mobo? or maybe just buy a 5600x and use it as an internet PC! Never again will I buy expensive mobo!!!!
Agree with kirby, sell it. Just mention in the auction it's a fresh RMA from asus that looks new.

Just an update, I had RMAed the Dark Hero due to the "Error 4d" and had transferred all the components to an MSI Tomahawk.
Now 1 month later I got a non-retail plain brown box in post back, it has a different serial number Dark Hero. It has all the plastic foils still stuck on the motherboard. Does that mean it is a brand-new Dark hero they sent me back?

Don't know if I should sell it or build a second system on it!
Man, I feel like I dodged a bullet. I REALLY wanted that board but it was out of stock everywhere when I got my 5900X. I went with the MSI Tomahawk instead and so far it's been solid.

I agree with the others, SELL IT.

Man, I feel like I dodged a bullet. I REALLY wanted that board but it was out of stock everywhere when I got my 5900X. I went with the MSI Tomahawk instead and so far it's been solid.

Agree. I originally bought this board. Worked fine for about a week then refused to power up. I was able to return it to the and replaced it with the Tomahawk. That MB has been rock solid. After seeing the issues others have had with the Dark Hero I’ve lost faith with Asus quality control and will probably not consider them much in the future. I did like the Asus bios over the MSI’s but that’s about it.

I've had mine with basically no issues. Though it might have ate my 5950x, the 5700x I had laying around has been fine for my needs in the same board since.

I don't think anyone will buy it now (in Europe), and at what price?
I have spare power supply, case etc, I could just build a cheap internet PC with it. On amazon it still has 4.6 stars out of 5. So maybe we hear more from the unlucky ones? If it fails again, then my Dark Hero is still guranteed until 2024.

A new BIOS (non beta!) just dropped for the Dark Hero. Get it while it's hot!

Version 4501 Released: 2023/05/23 (20.83 MB)

ROG CROSSHAIR VIII DARK HERO BIOS 4501
1. Updated AGESA version to ComboV2PI 1.2.0.A
2. Mitigated potential security vulnerabilities for AMD Athlon™ processors and Ryzen™ processors
3. Improved system stability

A new BIOS (non beta!) just dropped for the Dark Hero. Get it while it's hot!

Version 4501 Released: 2023/05/23 (20.83 MB)

ROG CROSSHAIR VIII DARK HERO BIOS 4501
1. Updated AGESA version to ComboV2PI 1.2.0.A
2. Mitigated potential security vulnerabilities for AMD Athlon™ processors and Ryzen™ processors
3. Improved system stability
They dropped a new BIOS for the standard Hero as well. Probably going to do it for all the x570 boards I'd imagine.

A new BIOS just dropped for the Dark Hero. Get it while it's hot!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Version 4602 Released: 2023/08/23 (20.83 MB)

ROG CROSSHAIR VIII DARK HERO BIOS 4602
1. Recommended for vital update to mitigate potential security vulnerabilities
2. Improved system stability
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not much info concerning what security vulnerabilities they are addressing, but improvements to system stability are always welcome I guess.

A new BIOS just dropped for the Dark Hero. Get it while it's hot!
Version 4602 Released: 2023/08/23 (20.83 MB)

ROG CROSSHAIR VIII DARK HERO BIOS 4602
1. Recommended for vital update to mitigate potential security vulnerabilities
2. Improved system stability

Not much info concerning what security vulnerabilities they are addressing, but improvements to system stability are always welcome I guess.
This thread has the info for the vulnerability they are talking about.
https://hardforum.com/threads/amd-inception-vulnerability-affects-zen-3-and-4.2030064/

I would guess you'd have lower performance since the vulnerabilities are mitigated.

Getting ready to rebuild my secondary / NAS / server box with a 5950X, Asus Dark Hero, and 32GB of DDR4 (Gskill TridentZ Neo 3600mhz CL16). Given its going to be doing server-related things I was wondering about trying to pick up another 32GB kit of the same RAM to give a total of 64GB - will the system do well with all 4 slots populated or will it be more of an issue? I'm thinking of using the DynamicOC switcher if all works out to ensure it gets the best of both PBO for single/few core and manual for many/all core workloads which is a hallmark of the Dark Hero (and thanks to that is now present in higher end ROG X670E boards), but I wasn't going to try to push it as hard as possible for minimal gain or anything given its a secondary home server platform. Ideas?

Getting ready to rebuild my secondary / NAS / server box with a 5950X, Asus Dark Hero, and 32GB of DDR4 (Gskill TridentZ Neo 3600mhz CL16). Given its going to be doing server-related things I was wondering about trying to pick up another 32GB kit of the same RAM to give a total of 64GB - will the system do well with all 4 slots populated or will it be more of an issue? I'm thinking of using the DynamicOC switcher if all works out to ensure it gets the best of both PBO for single/few core and manual for many/all core workloads which is a hallmark of the Dark Hero (and thanks to that is now present in higher end ROG X670E boards), but I wasn't going to try to push it as hard as possible for minimal gain or anything given its a secondary home server platform. Ideas?
Well for server/NAS related things you should 100% get ECC RAM, but just my opinion there. I've had good luck with this 3200MHz Nemix RAM kit across multiple AM4 boards/CPUs and 3200MHz is more of a safe speed when you're talking 4 Dual Rank DIMM population on Zen 3. They sell smaller kits too. If you're lucky and have a strong IMC on your 5950X, you might be able to pull off 4 DR DIMMs at 3600MHz, but you likely might have to settle on 3466MHz/3200MHz. This is assuming you're keeping your Infinity Fabric and Memory at a 1:1 ratio, which you should anyway because if it takes dropping that to get 3600MHz you negate any speed benefit from the faster RAM.

In evaluating how much RAM you need for a home server/NAS, the first thing you should consider is: how many virtual machines do you plan on running, and how much RAM are you going to allocate to them? What OS will the host be using and how much RAM will it consume at peak? Is there a benefit to having more RAM for the amount of storage it has? 5950X is an absolute beast for a home server/NAS so you'll have no problem running absolutely tons of stuff on it and RAM will probably be the limiting factor. Depending on what you're doing 32GB could be enough, since you already have the kit you can start there and add more if necessary (unless you KNOW you're going hard on stuff that utilizes memory). One thing I recommend too, if you're using ZFS for your storage backend, throw as much RAM at it that you can afford because the ZFS ARC Cache will use it (but also free up when necessary).

1694127126439.png

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The board is over hyped imo. I mean, its a nice board for sure. But my B550XE is stronger in the memory department, and has better slot spacing. This board used to cost almost 700CAD at one time, I got mine for about 550CAD from Newegg.

The board is over hyped imo. I mean, its a nice board for sure. But my B550XE is stronger in the memory department, and has better slot spacing. This board used to cost almost 700CAD at one time, I got mine for about 550CAD from Newegg.
You're absolutely right but many people forget this had a feature to allow switching between a static overclock and PBO settings based on socket power draw and it was pretty nice. At the time no other boards allowed that on Zen2.

You're absolutely right but many people forget this had a feature to allow switching between a static overclock and PBO settings based on socket power draw and it was pretty nice. At the time no other boards allowed that on Zen2.
I have it on this board, no need for it though..

In something heavy like Linpack Xtreme, using PPT/TDC/EDC, boost override, and my curve my 5900X runs at ~4550MHz. Best I can do with a static clock and that program is 4550MHz.. I boost up to 5150 as well on light stuff. DOCS is for people who havent figured out how to OC Zen 3 :D

Well for server/NAS related things you should 100% get ECC RAM, but just my opinion there. I've had good luck with this 3200MHz Nemix RAM kit across multiple AM4 boards/CPUs and 3200MHz is more of a safe speed when you're talking 4 Dual Rank DIMM population on Zen 3. They sell smaller kits too. If you're lucky and have a strong IMC on your 5950X, you might be able to pull off 4 DR DIMMs at 3600MHz, but you likely might have to settle on 3466MHz/3200MHz. This is assuming you're keeping your Infinity Fabric and Memory at a 1:1 ratio, which you should anyway because if it takes dropping that to get 3600MHz you negate any speed benefit from the faster RAM.

In evaluating how much RAM you need for a home server/NAS, the first thing you should consider is: how many virtual machines do you plan on running, and how much RAM are you going to allocate to them? What OS will the host be using and how much RAM will it consume at peak? Is there a benefit to having more RAM for the amount of storage it has? 5950X is an absolute beast for a home server/NAS so you'll have no problem running absolutely tons of stuff on it and RAM will probably be the limiting factor. Depending on what you're doing 32GB could be enough, since you already have the kit you can start there and add more if necessary (unless you KNOW you're going hard on stuff that utilizes memory). One thing I recommend too, if you're using ZFS for your storage backend, throw as much RAM at it that you can afford because the ZFS ARC Cache will use it (but also free up when necessary).

View attachment 596888

I was starting from the RAM kit I currently have, but yeah ECC is definitely a feature I've considered but I don't know if its worthwhile for what is more or less a "home file server and experimental platform", but its a good case that if I was to buy entirely new RAM ECC may be worthwhile. Its been ages since I've used any ECC RAM in something that wasn't a full time pro server build that pretty much ran at stock speeds on a stock CPU - is it that ECC dual rank DIMMS are harder to push to 3600mhz or is that any dual rank? I remember reading that 3600mhz kits if you can do it is beneficial for overall performance as Zen3 "sweet spot", but perhaps thats outdated.

As far as virtual machines and whatnot, I don't yet know. The only task I know for certain is going to be NAS-type storage and running on a Linux OS most likely (I can't decide between BTRFS and ZFS for the storage, and though I'm kind of tempted to go TrueNAS for the polish and ease of use though at least at one point Rockstor was aiming for a Linux+BTFRS equivalent,, I am wondering if I'll just manually spin the whole thing up from an Arch / Endeavour install or the like. I'm actually not sure the state of ZFS on Linux these days vs BTRFS, its been awhile since I checked out either.), which it will be taking over for my long-beyond-its-service Core 2 Quad that is pretty much a file server with a couple Samba shares over a decade old! Aside from that, I'm looking at more hypotheticals - VMs, testbeds for development, running local self-hosted services like NextCloud, potential crypto or AI stuff depending etc... are all possibilities. I know that generally the hardware I have is significantly overkill, but I was just keeping my eyes open if say... someone on WTB/FS was selling another of the same RAM kit was I already have for a good deal but was't sure if it could handle 4 sticks at the same speed/performance as 2. Likewise, if someone ends up selling some great ECC RAM I can always expand there. But as far as I can tell, I can't think of anything that purely "needs" more than 32GB, but I'm sure in the future or in cases like you mention with ZFS there could be some benefit.

I've been a bit out of practice as I've not focused on seriously OCing since my X99 build that still performs surprisingly well given its age, but I picked up the Dark Hero in part because of the DynamicOC capability which was unique for its time (as well as the legacy of good performance and features I've had picking Asus ROG "named" boards on the high end). I also hear that its success meant that it has spread out more widely among Asus ROG X670E boards and have a Zen4 build in the works as well.

I'm not planning on pushing it as absolute hard as possible given this is a secondary/server build, so I'll be accepting of a more modest OC for stability's sake, but I'd still like to get the most out of the components (boosting high as reasonable for single/few core workloads as well as many/all core, as needed) so I can't imagine leaving them at stock either. If it turns out that DynamicOC isn't necessary (I've been told there's a significant diminishing returns situation in some cases with Zen3 OC where manually tweaking gets you only a couple percentage improvement over just setting PBO with the proper parameters, but I've also been told that there's a lot of performance that can be left on the table and that DynamicOC , a few manual tweaks to the CPU/Mobo/RAM setting can have a major benefit so I guess its situational? ) that's okay too, but I'm definitely glad to have the option.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I upgraded to the newest BIOS 4805. It flashed ok and I restored all my settings. Everything works fine accept I have one LED lit up under the IO panel that should be off. I have Aura set to always off. Anyone else have a similar experience?

Figures they shot another BIOS out ....I had just recently updated to 4702....LoL. I might give 4805 a try this weekend....I'll let you know if I have the same issue.

Back