(WTF Amazon?) Would you use these or return them?

Zarathustra[H]

Extremely [H]
So I ordered a few Mikrotik SFP+ to gigabit copper modules. This is how they arrived:

1606537877188.jpeg

...just rattling around inside of a cardboard box without any secondary packaging or ESD protection.

What's worse, this wasn't some fly by night marketplace seller. They were sold by a third party vendor, but fulfilled by Amazon!

Would you use them, or return them?

File the complaint to see what your options are. Popping them into an ESD bag shouldn't be that difficult and should already be done when sitting on the shelf.
Worst case- they want you to return for refund - reorder?
Best case- they say they will send you new ones and keep the old ones?

Ya why those would be open like that unless the 3rd party got trays of them and now just sell off individuals, or they are used..

That would be an insta-return for me. I don't put up with Amazon's crap packaging jobs anymore.

Who knows how many times they were tossed around. Even if they do work for now, what if they die soon after due to poor solder connections and heating / cooling cycles finishing them off?

Even used ones should be in an anti-static bag and at the minimum wrapped in a nice few layers of bubble-wrap after that or at least put in a padded envelope which is folded and taped so they can't move around in shipping.

If enough people complain to Amazon about their abysmal packaging practices, it will cost them enough money for them to do something about it.

Ok don't buy from Amazon anymore, I stopped like 2 years ago. I hate their shipping times, and the private sellers are sketchy and scammers. Way too much negative crap from Amazon.

I personally wouldn't be too worried about if they work or not. These are fairly simple designs so there isn't much that can go wrong with them. It's highly unlikely you can damage these things by having them loose in a box.

That said this is a really odd instance I can't say as I've seen before. These were from a 3rd party, but fulfilled by Amazon. So that means somehow these were sent to Amazon in a way that their workers were setup to handle them. The part that baffles me is how they even keep inventory on them if there is no UPC code to scan. Like MrGuvernment said these were probably shipped in a tray, but then it's up to someone who has no clue what they are to handle them. Clearly that is the fault of the individual seller, and not Amazon. I can only imagine if someone tried to do the same thing but with a sensitive component like a memory module. (I would send one of those back in a heartbeat.)

Ok don't buy from Amazon anymore, I stopped like 2 years ago. I hate their shipping times, and the private sellers are sketchy and scammers. Way too much negative crap from Amazon.

Shipping times for me most everything under prime i can get next day or 2 day.....i never buy from 3rd parties off amazon, only if Amazon is fullfilling that is it.

This is of course an inappropriate item and if it was for business production use I'd be returning them, angrily.

You have no visibility if they were bought in bulk, opened, returned, fake, etc.

That said, while I would have some concerns about potential physical damage...

...I'm not sure where the ESD concern comes from.

These are items designed for hand-installation with a metal chassis. If the vendors were concerned about static they'd be using plastic within the external construction.

Back