WTB: X79 Motherboard - Sabertooth, Rampage, something quality to use as my main system

1337Goat

Gawd
I'm finally trying to upgrade from my X58 system, and I figure an X79 is just perfect for me, so I now have PCIe 3.0, as well as an entirely new generation of processors.
I get to reuse my expensive RAM, and that's the important part.

If you've got an old X79 motherboard, shoot me an offer. I sure hope it beats what I see on that auction website. =p

X79 boards have held their value really well. They are actually pretty rare hence why the market is flooded with those unbranded Chinese knockoff ones that apparently work pretty well too. I wouldn't necessarily call them reliable though.

Most of those Asian knockoffs use b75/q77 chipsets that allow usage of PCIe 3.0 NVME SSDs without need for modding bioses and such. Big plus there.

Reactions: Halon
like this
I have one of those B75 X79t Chines knock-off mobos running in my FreeNAS (Now TrueNAS) server with 64GB ECC RDIMMS and a 128GB NVMe drive as a boot drive. I was skeptical at first but thought I'd give it a try.. and I'm glad I did. It's working Great!

Only thing about it was that it works fine with M.2 NVMe drives .. but it wouldn't recognize M.2 Sata

https://www.atpinc.com/blog/what-is-m.2-M-B-BM-key-socket-3

I've got a cheapo Chinese motherboard coming in the mail, but after they swindled me by sending it using standard postage, instead of ~premium~ that I paid for, and then didn't refund me, I kinda lost interest in such a dubious product. and decided I just want a used classic style motherboard. I'll probably try to sell this Chineese one, if it EVER arrives. It's already been months, and it still doesn't even say it's arrived in the USA yet.

So keep sending PMs until I lock the thread due to a confirmed buy. I'm not rich though, so unless you're more generous than that auction website, I'll probably have to stick with X58.

I've got a cheapo Chinese motherboard coming in the mail, but after they swindled me by sending it using standard postage, instead of ~premium~ that I paid for, and then didn't refund me, I kinda lost interest in such a dubious product. and decided I just want a used classic style motherboard. I'll probably try to sell this Chineese one, if it EVER arrives. It's already been months, and it still doesn't even say it's arrived in the USA yet.

So keep sending PMs until I lock the thread due to a confirmed buy. I'm not rich though, so unless you're more generous than that auction website, I'll probably have to stick with X58.

Nothing from China should take months to get here you should be trying to get a refund. That is ridiculous.

If you really want a cheap enthusiast platform X99 is far cheaper to get into and that expensive DDR3 you want to use doesn't make sense when DDR4 is also dirt cheap... even new you can probably get 2x8gb brand name for $60.

Nothing from China should take months to get here you should be trying to get a refund. That is ridiculous.

I wish that was true, but there's still a few days before it goes past another limit. I'll probably try to get my money back soon, if it doesn't arrive.
I assume it's a scam at this point, considering they wouldn't refund me for paying premium shipping, but with them clearly using the standard stuff.
Ugh. I just wanted it to go nice and smooth, but yeah.

If you really want a cheap enthusiast platform X99 is far cheaper to get into and that expensive DDR3 you want to use doesn't make sense when DDR4 is also dirt cheap... even new you can probably get 2x8gb brand name for $60.

I would for sure enjoy X99. I'll keep it in mind, but I'll finish up seeing if I can get a good deal here for X79.
Nothing's really off the table until my main system is sitting in front of me, purring happily. I'll just keep doing research and try to find the right deal for the right price.

I use a chinese x99 motherboard in one of my PCs, works pretty good. I always use ebay when I want stuff from china faster, it seems to be way quicker than aliexpress, but at the expense of costing slightly more (usually like $2-15 more)

Back