Would you say this is cool running ?

crazycrave

[H]ard|Gawd
If I told you it was a 290x would you believe me on it's stock air cooler with driver controlled fan speed ?

I’d believe I’ve got a Sapphire Tri X 290x (retired now) and it stayed relatively cool and quiet and gave great performance.

That is cool, I thought 95c was the default temp the reference cards. I take it this is not a reference card.

noko , I bought it in 2015 as the last 290x cards Sapphire sold new with some free games for $269 .. it is a Tri - X New Edition as I wish it supports the watts like my RX 570 as being used while gaming as they did some magic on it , I am testing it in 4K now as it has more load to keep gpu nailed as they fixed it from hot throttle and Club 3D sells a display port 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 with HDR support as it even works on 7970'280x cards to get HDMI 2.0 for 4k 60Hz .

and I move to Max settings as vram will be an issue in Ultra but it plays smooth with 16Gb of DDR 4 paired with the 1400

Last edited:
That is pretty awesome. The 290x was a great card. I recently got rid of my 290 that was water cooled, it ran well until it was replaced by a 980ti.

I still have my reference 290, talking about a long lasting card. Those are still good today for many games as well as old especially at 1080p.

I had a ref 290 at release for BF and Windows 8 and 8.1 debate way back but ended up selling it for 2x profit as first bitcoin bomb shell as it was a 95c cooker but I added an after market cooler which helped (still have it some where) but vram and Morfitt's lacked cooling .. the profit i made I ended up with this 290x and a Tri X R9 -280 (still have it) also but I decided not to sell them this bitcoin round as I would of came out like gold but there getting harder to replace and this hobby is evolved to a point that old hardware is collectable as art work or retro vintage builds .

But it is sad to think I have other video cards I can't find in my pile to play with as I want to build a cheap Ryzen system with a 770GTX 4Gb but have misplace it lol .

Back