Would you replace a HX1000W (purchased use 9.5 years ago) for new build?

LGabrielPhoto

2[H]4U
Hello!
Do you guys normally wait for a PSU to die or start acting up before replacing it or are you guys proactive about it.
I am planning my new build around either a 2700x or a 9900k (will be OCing either way) and a GTX 1080ti. About 8HDDs as well.
My Corsair HX1000W I bought used 9.5 years ago yet seems rock solid still but I was wondering if I should just keep going with it or best to upgrade it too.
Just curious.

New and old both can die any day.. if it has enough slots and is rock solid.. i wouldnt change it till it dies.. i would keep it clean from dust and keep on using it till it dies.. it has proven to be great.. why change smth that isnt broken

No need to be proactive if you are just an average [H] member with a few dozen spare PSUs sitting around.

I think I jinxed my PSU lol
I can OC my 1080ti (really just increasing the power limit to %150 not changing speeds manually) and it works fine on its own for whatever I test. I can OC my CPU to a mild 4Ghz (I have been doing 4.3Ghz at low voltage even though it could do 4.5Ghz but requirement too much voltage for the gain), but now even the moment I combine both things even at just 4Ghz the computer shutsdown. No BSOD nothing just quick shutdown. From my old days of repairing PC that used to point to a PSU issue but maybe you guys have any other ideas?
And no I dont have any decent PSUs around to test.

check that all the cables are seated correctly, unplug/re-plug etc. if it still does it, replace it.

check that all the cables are seated correctly, unplug/re-plug etc. if it still does it, replace it.
Yep checked all of them just in case. Right on time for a new build I guess. lol For the time being I will not push the OC too much so it holds me for a little bit longer while the new parts arrive.
Thanks

Yep checked all of them just in case. Right on time for a new build I guess. lol For the time being I will not push the OC too much so it holds me for a little bit longer while the new parts arrive.
Thanks
I bet its the amperage draw triggering the overload protection. there are several other people around here that had that issue with older and a few of the new corsairs too.

I bet its the amperage draw triggering the overload protection. there are several other people around here that had that issue with older and a few of the new corsairs too.
Sure sounds like it. Good to know. Time to hit Johnny Guru to see what is a good PSU to get.

Have you checked your power consumption from the wall using something like a kill-a-watt meter or similar? I'm very curious if you are actually exceeding what your power supply can handle. My Thermaltake Toughpower 1000w is very close to the same PSU as it is made by the same OEM (CWT) and it is the same age. I run a hex-core 5820K @ 4.5Ghz, and 3 old power-hungry GTX680's in SLI, yet I am not even close to pushing the limits of my PSU.

Have you checked your power consumption from the wall using something like a kill-a-watt meter or similar? I'm very curious if you are actually exceeding what your power supply can handle. My Thermaltake Toughpower 1000w is very close to the same PSU as it is made by the same OEM (CWT) and it is the same age. I run a hex-core 5820K @ 4.5Ghz, and 3 old power-hungry GTX680's in SLI, yet I am not even close to pushing the limits of my PSU.
I think its the amp draw on the 12v. if you look at all the new psus they are all single rail 12v with 80-90amps. those older 1000w units are dual rail and 35-40amps each.

I think its the amp draw on the 12v. if you look at all the new psus they are all single rail 12v with 80-90amps. those older 1000w units are dual rail and 35-40amps each.

In the HX1000W the motherboard and ATX12V/EPS12V cables are on the first rail. There are 4 8-pin ports on the PSU for modular GPU power cables, 2 from each rail. Not knowing which ports the OP has his modular GPU power cables plugged into, he could be running his single 1080ti completely on the first rail (along with the CPU), completely on the 2nd rail, or half/half. If it turns out that the modular GPU power cables are all on the first rail, sharing it with the CPU, that would be a very quick fix to move them each over to the next socket. Once the GPU is on a different rail than the CPU, I don't see how either the GPU or CPU would be able to exceed 40 amps. My particular PSU, though based on the same CWT OEM design as the HX1000W, actually takes it one step further and breaks each rail down into two virtual rails for four total. Multiple-rail PSUs have never been a problem as long as you distribute the load among the rails with at least a bit of common sense.

In the HX1000W the motherboard and ATX12V/EPS12V cables are on the first rail. There are 4 8-pin ports on the PSU for modular GPU power cables, 2 from each rail. Not knowing which ports the OP has his modular GPU power cables plugged into, he could be running his single 1080ti completely on the first rail (along with the CPU), completely on the 2nd rail, or half/half. If it turns out that the modular GPU power cables are all on the first rail, sharing it with the CPU, that would be a very quick fix to move them each over to the next socket. Once the GPU is on a different rail than the CPU, I don't see how either the GPU or CPU would be able to exceed 40 amps. My particular PSU, though based on the same CWT OEM design as the HX1000W, actually takes it one step further and breaks each rail down into two virtual rails for four total. Multiple-rail PSUs have never been a problem as long as you distribute the load among the rails with at least a bit of common sense.
Interesting information. I was using the blue ports the ones marked 12V1
https://images.anandtech.com/reviews/psu/2008/corsairhx1000/12.jpg
Time to try the V2 ones

those are nice. did you have any luck moving things around?
Just getting home to swap cables and run some tests. Hopefully is that so that at least I can have it as a spare PSU after my new build.

PS So far it has been passing all tests at my normal OCing speeds so looks like that did it. At least for now, I will be able to keep using it until next build.
Also I did get one of those kill-a-watt readers and at my windows login it was showing about 310W (I dont have any of the speed/voltage saving features on) and when running Superposition I saw it hitting anywhere from 630 to about 660Watts I think was the max at least when I started looking at it.
Thanks guys!

Last edited:
Back