Worth upgrading from 9700K to 7700X ?

Zorachus

[H]F Junkie
Current system is a MSI Z390 motherboard, i7 9700K, and 32GB DDR-4, with an RTX-3080, and older SSD. I mostly game on this PC, and play on an 34" Alienware Ultrawide

I play;
World of Warcraft at Ultra max settings
New World
BF 2042
Doom Eternal
Looking to buy Halo Infinite once CoOp is out, and the upcoming Warhammer Darktide

Would it be a noticeable upgrade, meaning smoother gameplay or less hiccups going to a 7700X, X670E motherboard, and 32GB DDR-5, and a M.2 SSD?

Current system is a MSI Z390 motherboard, i7 9700K, and 32GB DDR-4, with an RTX-3080, and older SSD. I mostly game on this PC, and play on an 34" Alienware Ultrawide

I play;
New World
BF 2042
Doom Eternal
Looking to buy Halo Infinite once CoOp is out, and the upcoming Warhammer Darktide

Would it be a noticeable upgrade, meaning smoother gameplay or less hiccups going to a 7700X, X670E motherboard, and 32GB DDR-5, and a M.2 SSD?
If you really want to go AM5 I would wait on the 3D cache CPUs.

If you really want to go AM5 I would wait on the 3D cache CPUs.

Yeah great point, they're supposed to have like double the cache of the popular 5800X3D, due out early next year. Best to wait for that, and by then pricing will probably be better for the motherboards and DDR-5, and the PCIe 5.0 SSD's are not out yet, but soon.

I play;
New World
BF 2042
Doom Eternal

You will get more FPS likely. AMD didn't really start matching and exceeding Intel's lineup until the 5000 series. Even then, they couldn't sustain the higher frequencies that a delided 8th Gen or a stock 9th gen could do. SO, you are gonna see some performance gains on the new AMD parts for certain. But if it would be noticeable to you.... If you're already getting 100+FPS, (or maybe a zillion FPS in WOW) I don't know that you will see a difference. IN general performance and multithreaded applications it will be a bigger margin of difference.

Really depends on how badly you want to drop a grand or so. If you have a Micro Center, take advantage of the free 32 Gig deal if you can. That will save you some bones.

I still have a 9600 that runs at 5 Ghz and its very capable to this day.

I agree with what others said while I was typing, wait for the X3D parts. That's gonna be the sweet spot for gaming and likely beat Intel's 13th gen parts to death. Other than that, you have a very capable system.

Yeah thanks for the replies, the smart thing is to wait till early 2023, and get the new AM5 X3D CPU, and then there will be options and better pricing for the motherboards and RAM.

In the meantime, I do need a new Power Supply, might grab that now.

Yeah thanks for the replies, the smart thing is to wait till early 2023, and get the new AM5 X3D CPU, and then there will be options and better pricing for the motherboards and RAM.

In the meantime, I do need a new Power Supply, might grab that now.
I will recommend Seasonic on the Power Supply. I have been incredibly happy with them. But you might see some good Prime deals coming up here too.

I will recommend Seasonic on the Power Supply. I have been incredibly happy with them. But you might see some good Prime deals coming up here too.

Yeah had my eye on the 1300w Seasonic, that is probably overkill, but I keep my PSU's 5+ years.

Yeah had my eye on the 1300w Seasonic, that is probably overkill, but I keep my PSU's 5+ years.
Me too, I like durable stuff. Seasonic is typically very good for getting your Return on Investment. If you're gonna go cheap on building a new computer, the most important part to not go cheap on is the PSU. Everything else can be shit (if you're on a tight budget).

I wonder how well the ASUS ROG 1000watt will do. I picked one up on amazon's cyber sale for like 120 bucks. Thought I might need something more robust than the Seasonic 850's I've been living off of. There's a ROG 1200 watt unit on amazon now for like 270 but that didn't seem like a great deal to me.

A users review on the Seasonic 1300W

Seasonic is the best, the Seasonic PRIME 1300 Platinum SSR-1300PD 1300W is an absolutely beautiful PSU. It's near dead silent, efficient and gives me the head room to know that I can upgrade later. These new GPU's are very power hungry. If you're going high end CPU and RTX 3090 and up 850w isn't going to cut it anymore. I replaced my older Seasonic 850w gen1 that was having a ton of issues with newer RTX 3090 cards and shutting down the system for protection, it's a known issue. So far this beast has been able to handle my RTX 3090 with a ton of head room for upgrading. Just get it! Also Seasonic has amazing support.

If you're already getting 100+FPS, (or maybe a zillion FPS in WOW) I don't know that you will see a difference.

I always find it interesting when people jump to the conclusion that WoW is like playing Counter-Strike or something, and that it's super easy to get very high FPS. While WoW was first released in 2004, there have been 8 expansions and the 9th is coming in November. Every expansion has brought significant improvements to the game engine along with new content that has dramatically increased polygon count, etc. The game even supports Ray Tracing now. OP says that he plays WoW at max settings. That's actually pretty demanding.

Check out this Intel marketing slide as some food for thought. Performance numbers for WoW are included on the left side. You can see right away how much the game does indeed benefit from 3D cache, with the 5800X3D completely slaughtering both the top-end 12-series and 13-series Intel CPUs when it comes to WoW. So much so that I'm actually considering switching from my 12-core 5900X to a 5800X3D. Keep in mind that this is an Intel marketing slide, the LAST company that would have any incentive to exaggerate the performance of an AMD CPU... so I'm inclined to take these numbers at face value.

Intel13seriesWoW.png
Full Presentation: https://download.intel.com/newsroom...Gen-Intel-Core-Desktop-Media-presentation.pdf

I always find it interesting when people jump to the conclusion that WoW is like playing Counter-Strike or something, and that it's super easy to get very high FPS. While WoW was first released in 2004, there have been 8 expansions and the 9th is coming in November. Every expansion has brought significant improvements to the game engine along with new content that has dramatically increased polygon count, etc. The game even supports Ray Tracing now. OP says that he plays WoW at max settings. That's actually pretty demanding.

Check out this Intel marketing slide as some food for thought. Performance numbers for WoW are included on the left side. You can see right away how much the game does indeed benefit from 3D cache, with the 5800X3D completely slaughtering both the top-end 12-series and 13-series Intel CPUs when it comes to WoW. So much so that I'm actually considering switching from my 12-core 5900X to a 5800X3D. Keep in mind that this is an Intel marketing slide, the LAST company that would have any incentive to exaggerate the performance of an AMD CPU... so I'm inclined to take these numbers at face value.

View attachment 518212
Full Presentation: https://download.intel.com/newsroom...Gen-Intel-Core-Desktop-Media-presentation.pdf

Very good point. So the 5800X3D is the World of Warcraft CPU to have now. And the upcoming 7XXX-3D CPU will be even better.

So do a cheap 5800X3D upgrade now, or full on system build for the next gen version early next year?

Very good point. So the 5800X3D is the World of Warcraft CPU to have now. And the upcoming 7XXX-3D CPU will be even better.

So do a cheap 5800X3D upgrade now, or full on system build for the next gen version early next year?
If you were running AM4 already it would be a no brainer. 5800X3D all the way. In your situation I'd probably just wait. Time flies and the new year will be here before you know it. If the games you play are fun and you're not noticing performance issues while gaming then it's a no brainer. Pick up a new PSU and wait it out. The new AM5 X3D paired with your 3080 will be a beautiful thing!

I wonder how well the ASUS ROG 1000watt will do. I picked one up on amazon's cyber sale for like 120 bucks. Thought I might need something more robust than the Seasonic 850's I've been living off of. There's a ROG 1200 watt unit on amazon now for like 270 but that didn't seem like a great deal to me.
That was a saweet deal. That unit is built by Seasonic, its based on the GX 1000. Anything less than $175 is nice, $120 is friggin sick.
If I'm not mistaken all of the Asus ROG PSUs are built by Seasonic. So grab em when you see deals.

From what I understand the 5800x3d is still just as good a consistent gaming cpu as anything out there other than the very top dogs. The dogs also happen to cost $2 to $300 more and require a mem/platform upgrade of course.
You could probably ride the 5800x3d for at least the next year maybe longer (with a solid GPU) without worrying about it holding a 4k rig back at all.

View attachment 518212
These are the recommended hardware requirements for WoW.

Recommended System Specifications:​

• GPU: NVIDIA RTX or AMD RDNA2 (Modern equivalent: RTX 3060 Ti)
  • CPU: 6+ cores, 3.5+ GHz (Modern equivalent: R5 5600X)
  • Memory: 8GB RAM

You can achieve top performance in any game by moving to the best hardware for the job, always. However, IIRC the OP was asking if their hardware was "good enough" and it clearly is. They can wait to upgrade until the next X3D part hits the market. No sense in buying yesteryears amazeballs, dead end platform, X3D.

OP has a 3080 and i7 9700, should be more than adequate to hold them over for a more epic upgrade.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
That was a saweet deal. That unit is built by Seasonic, its based on the GX 1000. Anything less than $175 is nice, $120 is friggin sick.
If I'm not mistaken all of the Asus ROG PSUs are built by Seasonic. So grab em when you see deals.

From what I understand the 5800x3d is still just as good a consistent gaming cpu as anything out there other than the very top dogs. The dogs also happen to cost $2 to $300 more and require a mem/platform upgrade of course.
You could probably ride the 5800x3d for at least the next year maybe longer (with a solid GPU) without worrying about it holding a 4k rig back at all.
I figure the 5800X3D adds a bit more platform longevity than 1 year. I'm pretty sure at least three people are still using Sandy Bridge :eek: and surviving.

Depends on what you need and your desire to get a ROI (if you care about that).

I think I'm (personally) sitting out the upgrades for a while until there's something really amazing to talk about, that doesn't force me to sell my Honda to pay for it... The OP's i7 9700 is a capable chip, OC it to 5 GHz and it's about as capable as anything out there save for the latest bleeding edge technologies.

FYI - Thank you for this information (y). I didn't know what the underlying manufacturer for the PS was. That's awesome! I picked it up as a backup unit last Cyber Monday.

Zorachus
FYI

Recommended CPUs for World of Warcraft​

WoW's performance depends a lot on your graphics card, but it is also quite CPU-intensive, particularly with settings such as viewing distance, or when you are in a major city or raid. High single-threaded performance has the biggest impact on CPU performance in WoW, and both Intel and AMD now offer chips with top-of-the-line single-threaded speeds.

Nearly any modern quad-core will handle WoW just fine. We recommend the R3 3200G for budget builds, and the R5 3600X for mid-tier builds.

The i5-12600K or R5 5600X would be a heftier purchase that offers a noticeable bump in more performance. The next logical upgrade would be Intel's i9-12900K or AMD's R9 5900X, which are also great high-tier CPUs for gaming in general. Beyond that, it will be difficult to achieve additional performance from a more powerful CPU, even at 4K resolution. World of Warcraft does not use high core counts, so a Threadripper or other workstation chip will have more cores than WoW knows what to do with.

Recommended GPUs for World of Warcraft​

The graphics card you pick depends a lot on what resolution you are playing. Even an RX 560 would be fine for 900p, but you should consider an RX 5600 XT or an RTX 2060 for 1080p. If you are on the 1440p resolution, you will want at least an RX 5700 XT or RTX 3060 Ti. The glorious 4K resolution needs some serious power to drive it, and a pricey RTX 3080 is in order.

The above recommendations are for people playing WoW on max settings in the latest version, and even having the option of enabling ray-tracing. Reducing your graphical settings can have a major impact on FPS, allowing you to play at a higher resolution with weaker hardware. Likewise, turning up the settings from very high to full max will cripple your performance, even on good hardware. Read our recommendations for Choosing the Best Settings for World of Warcraft, discussed further below.

Recommended RAM for World of Warcraft​

According to WoW's official system requirements, the minimum amount of RAM for WoW is 4GB, while at least 8GB is recommended. Since the minimum amount of RAM we recommend is 4GB anyway, RAM is not likely to be an issue on any tier. 4GB or 8GB makes minimal difference to WoW, although at least 8GB is more appropriate for most modern systems. Any speed of RAM will work.

You're current rig is right there in the sweet spot for this game

Current system is a MSI Z390 motherboard, i7 9700K, and 32GB DDR-4, with an RTX-3080, and older SSD.
Honestly, I would look into spending the $50 to delid and OC your 9700K. I did that to my 6700K and it was a night and day difference at 1080/1440. Stock 6700k (4c/8t) is 4.0ghz on all cores. With the delid, I am able to get it to 4.7ghz on all cores at a 1.375V. Temps never go above 60-70C with my Noctua ND-15. This singular CPU has been paired with AMD 280x, 480x, 5700xt and now 6700xt. It took the Ryzens until 3rd-5th gen to compare with old skylake IPC.

That being said, as soon as the Ryzen 7th gen X3D parts come out, I am upgrading. Going to be a huge increase.

Honestly, I would look into spending the $50 to delid and OC your 9700K. I did that to my 6700K and it was a night and day difference at 1080/1440. Stock 6700k (4c/8t) is 4.0ghz on all cores. With the delid, I am able to get it to 4.7ghz on all cores at a 1.375V. Temps never go above 60-70C with my Noctua ND-15. This singular CPU has been paired with AMD 280x, 480x, 5700xt and now 6700xt. It took the Ryzens until 3rd-5th gen to compare with old skylake IPC.

That being said, as soon as the Ryzen 7th gen X3D parts come out, I am upgrading. Going to be a huge increase.
Not sure the delid is worth the risk of jacking up the chip. Not when he can run 5.0 Ghz out of the box. The 9000 Series is very different from the 6000 series Intel chips. The 6000 series uses paste, the Intel 9000 series uses Solder between the Heat Spreader and the Processor Die. It was a change from the 8000 series (which will do 5 Ghz but uses crappy paste).

My 9600K runs 5.0 Ghz all day, every day, right out of the box. It's the easiest overclock I've ever done. Most motherboards of that generation have a preset for the OC.

At this point I'm not upgrading, just not worth it, with so much new stuff coming;

-AM5 X3D processor next year

-New PCIe 5.0 M.2 SSD ( Due Nov / Dec )

-New ATX 3.0 PSU's ( Due Dec )

-More availability and hopefully better DDR-5 pricing

-More AM5 motherboard options.

At this point I'm not upgrading, just not worth it, with so much new stuff coming;

It will be a year or two before the M.2 5.0 Drives come out. I think there were a couple articles about how most manufacturers are milking the 4.0 Architecture until 2024.

DDR5 pricing may not come down right away, most memory manufacturers are cutting their output due to slow markets and low sales.

That's all I know, but I think you're in a good place with your current setup. If you don't already have an M.2 PCI-E 4X 1 or 2 TB drive, that would give you a huge performance bump and will carry over to your next build. Pretty certain the 4.0 drives are backward compatible but some amazeballs deals on the 3.0 drives out there.

I have a 5,000 M/S 4.0 and a 3,500 M/S 3.0 drive and I can't tell the difference between the two in normal operations.

I currently have a Samsung SSD drive from several years ago, it's not a M.2 one, just the old flat ones.

My Z390 I know supports M.2 just never bought one.

So maybe buy one of those and upgrade my old PSU to the Seasonic 1300W I've had my eye on, and install a fresh clean Windows setup.

Maybe that would breath some new life into my system, until I want to upgrade maybe next Spring?

I currently have a Samsung SSD drive from several years ago, it's not a M.2 one, just the old flat ones.

My Z390 I know supports M.2 just never bought one.

So maybe buy one of those and upgrade my old PSU to the Seasonic 1300W I've had my eye on, and install a fresh clean Windows setup.

Maybe that would breath some new life into my system, until I want to upgrade maybe next Spring?
The Z390 I have is a Gigabyte, I am running an Inland 1 TB 3.0 Drive on it and it was a night and day upgrade from a traditional SSD. Your load times in games will be incredibly enhanced. Other stuff, not so much. But it's a super cheap way to give your current rig a kick in the pants if you have the itch to do something.

If you do, be careful what you buy. Read about all the TBW ratings. Been really happy with my Inland 3.0 and 4.0 drives. Good endurance as long as they are not QLC Memory. QLC is a couple bucks cheaper for less or a little less performance with about 1/4 the endurance in cell life.

https://www.amazon.com/Inland-Premium-M-2-2280-Internal/dp/B07RCM6DXK
99 Bucks, 1600 TBW Endurance, pretty hard to beat for a quick upgrade that will murder your old SSD in terms of speed.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09H285VT...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

2 TB 4.0 version at 179 Bucks is pretty good (It's the one I have, paid ... more for it)

These are the recommended hardware requirements for WoW.

Recommended System Specifications:​

• GPU: NVIDIA RTX or AMD RDNA2 (Modern equivalent: RTX 3060 Ti)
  • CPU: 6+ cores, 3.5+ GHz (Modern equivalent: R5 5600X)
  • Memory: 8GB RAM

You can achieve top performance in any game by moving to the best hardware for the job, always. However, IIRC the OP was asking if their hardware was "good enough" and it clearly is. They can wait to upgrade until the next X3D part hits the market. No sense in buying yesteryears amazeballs, dead end platform, X3D.

OP has a 3080 and i7 9700, should be more than adequate to hold them over for a more epic upgrade.

Generic "Recommended hardware requirements" have always been vague and more of a starting point for people who are unfamiliar with computers than they are a guide for enthusiasts. I have over 120 days of played time just in this last expansion alone, playing it across a half dozen different computers and also being one of the main go-to guys in my guild when people upgrade their computers. I've had ample opportunity to see how hardware impacts this game. My previous post was not a recommendation to buy the 5800X3D, but rather an illustration of the difference that 3D cache can make, by comparing a 3D cache Zen3 and a regular Zen3 (both are on the slide I posted). Seeing the performance lined up against the top-end newly released 13-series Intel CPU is rather informative also. My system currently meets the "Recommended hardware requirements" yet I'm still going to upgrade soon, because I want more. There is not some magical performance goal-post past which point "you're good to go!", it really depends on what level of performance you seek.

FYI

Recommended CPUs for World of Warcraft​

WoW's performance depends a lot on your graphics card, but it is also quite CPU-intensive, particularly with settings such as viewing distance, or when you are in a major city or raid. High single-threaded performance has the biggest impact on CPU performance in WoW, and both Intel and AMD now offer chips with top-of-the-line single-threaded speeds.

Nearly any modern quad-core will handle WoW just fine. We recommend the R3 3200G for budget builds, and the R5 3600X for mid-tier builds.

The i5-12600K or R5 5600X would be a heftier purchase that offers a noticeable bump in more performance. The next logical upgrade would be Intel's i9-12900K or AMD's R9 5900X, which are also great high-tier CPUs for gaming in general. Beyond that, it will be difficult to achieve additional performance from a more powerful CPU, even at 4K resolution. World of Warcraft does not use high core counts, so a Threadripper or other workstation chip will have more cores than WoW knows what to do with.

Those recommendations are "odd", to say the least. It says that WoW does not use high core counts, and that single-threaded performance is most important. That's true. But then they recommend a 5900X? Instead of a 5800X or 5800X3D? It then says "Beyond that, it will be difficult to achieve additional performance from a more powerful CPU", yet the slide I posted clearly shows that there is additional performance to be had from upgrading your CPU further.

Recommended GPUs for World of Warcraft​

The graphics card you pick depends a lot on what resolution you are playing. Even an RX 560 would be fine for 900p, but you should consider an RX 5600 XT or an RTX 2060 for 1080p. If you are on the 1440p resolution, you will want at least an RX 5700 XT or RTX 3060 Ti. The glorious 4K resolution needs some serious power to drive it, and a pricey RTX 3080 is in order.

The 3080 should indeed be good for WoW, but there are other issues to consider. One key issue is the Anti-Aliasing quirks that the game has. The in-game anti-aliasing options do little or nothing to anti-alias transparent textures. This includes, most importantly, the character names and guild names over people's heads. It's nice to be able to actually read this information from a distance. The only real way to anti-alias this properly is to use some form of super-sampling. The game has a built-in way to render the game above native resolution, but even better is enabling DLDSR via the Nvidia Control Panel so that you can take advantage of the RTX Tensor Cores to enhance image quality even further. Of course, rendering at a resolution higher than your native resolution increases GPU requirements even further. In this case it's absolutely worth it, but it's probably *not* something that generic recommendation guides are taking into account.

Before and After:
WoWDLDSR2.png WoWDLDSR1.png

Ray Tracing also has a huge impact on the game, and is a setting that is enabled independently of the normal settings. So just setting "Max Settings" (10) won't automatically enable Ray Tracing, as it's still considered to be something of an Optional/Advanced feature. When Ray Tracing is enabled, there will be a significant performance penalty, and that can change the equation in regards to which GPU is adequate for the level of performance you seek. Some might be happy just to stay above 60fps most of the time. I prefer performance to be close to my monitor's max refresh rate as often as possible.

Finally, we are right on the verge of a new expansion, one in which they are making significant improvements to the game (beyond the typical level of improvements that have generally come with each expansion). Graphics requirements are going to increase. For example, in Shadowlands, the Ardenweald zone is currently much more GPU intensive than Bastion. In Dragonflight, every zone will be at least as GPU intensive as Ardenweald.

Getting the new M.2 SSD.

Do you recommend I do a complete fresh reinstall of Windows on it?

Or is that not needed and just put the new drive in the PC and just install my games on it?

Getting the new M.2 SSD.

Or is that not needed and just put the new drive in the PC and just install my games on it?
I always do a fresh install when I upgrade my system. It doesn't take that much time.

Should I do the new PSU upgrade now too? I was looking at that Seasonic 1300W, I currently have a 750w EVGA.

Or should I hold off on the PSU until the new ATX 3.0 are out?

Getting the new M.2 SSD.

In my experience, if you are staying within the same CPU ecosystem (AMD to AMD or Intel to Intel) then you should have good results just moving the SSD over. Moving from Intel to AMD or from AMD to Intel can be more problematic.

As far as the PSU goes, I'd wait unless you absolutely need more watts right now. It will be interesting to see how each PSU vendor implements the new 12VHPWR connector. There will be 450w and 600w versions of 12VHPWR. I'd want to make sure that any PSU I got supported the 600w version. There are also rumors that future cards (4090 Ti perhaps?) will actually use more than one 12VHPWR connector. If I got a 1300w PSU, I would probably want one that had two 12VHPWR connectors. It's also unknown exactly what AMD's upcoming videocard lineup will use. Things should be a lot more clear once those things play out.

Seasonic has a 1200W Platinum rated ATX 3.0 PSU due out mid -Dec.

If I don't buy a PSU now, that's for sure the one I'd get.

If I buy the M.2 SSD it will be going into my current Z390 board, no other new hardware changes whatsoever right now.

I'm going to use some patience for once and wait till the new stuff comes out end of this year/ early next year.

I would think that just by having the resize bar option would be a noticeable difference alone.

Based on your sig I think you're set... why are you thinking of upgrading already when you're already rocking a top end system?

I play;
New World
BF 2042
Doom Eternal

Frame pacing was something the 5800x3d had the advantage.

You’re giving up that advantage playing at 3440x1440 and lowering quality settings at that canvas size won’t be as noticeable if you were playing at 1080p or 1440p

I’d just wait it out until gpu power next year or the year after hits the ceiling with Pcie 4.0 bandwidth.

Just clean sheet it after a couple years for faster everything

Wait till 3D chips hit the market. Will allow for cheaper boards and better DDR5 memory to hit the market.

Back