Worst Game Ever?

It didn't hook me, but I didn't think it was terrible.
I'm not surprised, your judgement is askew.

Deus Ex was immediately acclaimed upon its release, and its stature only grew in the years following. Deus Ex was a hit – likely in part due to Matrix-influence – but it was also hugely acclaimed, even at the time. Its legacy has only improved over time, regularly appearing on “greatest games of all time” lists, and often topping those. It’s not hard to see why. Put simply: it was the first game to combine meaningful player choice, on both a macro and micro level. Deus Ex was all about giving players as much choice as possible – basically, if you could imagine doing it and it was within the game’s mechanics, you could do it. Every mission, every level could be completed in a multitude of ways, sometimes with varying outcomes.

Deus Ex valued players finding their own story, over a singular, uniform experience, served on a silver platter a'la The Last of Us for example. I’m not sure if most Deus Ex players even knew they could kill certain NPCs, or simply walk away from a bossfight. Even more crucially, Deus Ex didn’t just allow the player to forge their own way through the story, it allowed them to craft the philosophies of their own character.

You can’t hit up a triple-A immersive sim and not feel Deus Ex's influence somewhere in it.

Last edited:

Deus Ex was immediately acclaimed upon its release, and its stature only grew in the years following. Deus Ex was a hit – likely in part due to Matrix-influence – but it was also hugely acclaimed, even at the time. Its legacy has only improved over time, regularly appearing on “greatest games of all time” lists, and often topping those. It’s not hard to see why. Put simply: it was the first game to combine meaningful player choice, on both a macro and micro level. Deus Ex was all about giving players as much choice as possible – basically, if you could imagine doing it and it was within the game’s mechanics, you could do it. Every mission, every level could be completed in a multitude of ways, sometimes with varying outcomes.

Deus Ex valued players finding their own story, over a singular, uniform experience, served on a silver platter a'la The Last of Us for example. I’m not sure if most Deus Ex players even knew they could kill certain NPCs, or simply walk away from a bossfight. Even more crucially, Deus Ex didn’t just allow the player to forge their own way through the story, it allowed them to craft the philosophies of their own character.

You can’t hit up a triple-A immersive sim and not feel Deus Ex's influence somewhere in it.
Me not liking something acclaimed by the masses doesn't mean my judgement is askew. Not everyone likes Fortnite or PUBG. Yet, they are hugely popular.

wat? are you sad/mad you didnt make the top ten? thats also your first post in here...

I read it way back then, I also had a different account that I lost so may be I commented too, idk.

The thread starts out with critically aclaimed games which are clearly not "worst game ever". The majority of the posts are crappy hot takes from people that think saying a popular thing is bad makes them cool.

I read it way back then, I also had a different account that I lost so may be I commented too, idk.

The thread starts out with critically aclaimed games which are clearly not "worst game ever". The majority of the posts are crappy hot takes from people that think saying a popular thing is bad makes them cool.
Reported for being a returning banned member.

/s

Me not liking something acclaimed by the masses doesn't mean my judgement is askew. Not everyone likes Fortnite or PUBG. Yet, they are hugely popular.
You not liking something is not the same as calling it the worst game ever. I mean I don't like the Witcher 3, but I know calling it the worst game ever would be utterly stupid.

And don't try to muddy the lines between popularity and acclaim. Just because something is popular doesn't make it acclaimed. Fortnite or PUBG are popular games, but they didn't do anything that hasn't been done better before, and they certainly won't influence games design for decades with their innovative ideas. Still I don't think anyone would be so brazen to call them the worst games ever.

You always try to present your opinions as immutable factual truths. Not liking a game is perfectly acceptable, there is no accounting for taste.
But calling something the worst game ever that is considered one of the best games and often outright the best game ever by a big chunk of players and critics alike, is pure trolling. You and the guys that press like on your post should all do some self reflection.

This is especially laughable since Cyberpunk 2077 a game you liked is 90% influenced by Deus Ex, if there was no Deus Ex Cyberpunk 2077 wouldn't exist today.

Leisure Suit Larry: Box Office Bust. Even if you're Hardcore Larry fan, keep away from this. As far as I know, Al Lowe had nothing to do with this, so I'm relieved.

Star Wars Galaxies is one of the worst games I've ever played. It had a shit interface to start with, horrible graphics (even for the time) and franky. it was boring as fuck. It also managed the cardinal sin of having a Star Wars aesthetic with all the right sound effects and music yet still managing to feel nothing like Star Wars at all. It's a game that had potential in concept but its execution was inexcusably bad. Even with the JTL expansions and what not, it still never ended up being the game it should have been from the start.

Die by the Sword was another terrible turd of a game. I didn't enjoy it at all. Other atrocities include Oni, Daikatana, and Deus Ex.

Ohh Galaxies brings back memories and not the fond kind.
I got into the beta and was all ready and fired up. But was so empty and had zero sense of direction.
It felt like a cardboard cutout or a generic bland mmorpg with Star Wars theme music.

Battlefield 2042...pretty much killed the entire decades long franchise all in one fell swoop.

You not liking something is not the same as calling it the worst game ever. I mean I don't like the Witcher 3, but I know calling it the worst game ever would be utterly stupid.
That was not what I meant to say or imply. I simply meant that it was one of the worst games I've ever played. That's simply my opinion. I am well aware that I'm in the minority on that front. Also keep in mind that I was all of 18 or so when Deus Ex came out. I basically only played arena shooters and single player games like Half-Life. If current me went back in time and played it without being spoiled by today's visuals, I may have enjoyed the game. My tastes now are radically different than they were back then.
And don't try to muddy the lines between popularity and acclaim. Just because something is popular doesn't make it acclaimed. Fortnite or PUBG are popular games, but they didn't do anything that hasn't been done better before, and they certainly won't influence games design for decades with their innovative ideas. Still I don't think anyone would be so brazen to call them the worst games ever.
The opinions of entertainment critics have never mattered to me. Again, I'm well aware of how popular and how well acclaimed the game was and how its regarded to this day. That's how I know I'm in the minority when it comes to my views on the game.
You always try to present your opinions as immutable factual truths. Not liking a game is perfectly acceptable, there is no accounting for taste.
And every time I say Deus Ex was a bad game people like you come out of the wood work to criticize my opinion as if the game being awesome is some immutable fact.
But calling something the worst game ever that is considered one of the best games and often outright the best game ever by a big chunk of players and critics alike, is pure trolling. You and the guys that press like on your post should all do some self reflection.
I knew it would rile people up, but it's just my opinion. Said opinion doesn't require self-reflection. I didn't like the game. It's as simple as that. It's one of the worst games I've ever played. Admittedly, that's through the lens of my tastes at the time it came out.
This is especially laughable since Cyberpunk 2077 a game you liked is 90% influenced by Deus Ex, if there was no Deus Ex Cyberpunk 2077 wouldn't exist today.
You mean the game that's based on a tabletop role playing game from 1988 that was out 12 years before Deus Ex came out? For all I know Cyberpunk 2020 influenced Deus Ex. It's hard to quantify just how much of an impact if any Deus Ex had on Cyberpunk 2077. The fact is, I don't remember enough of Deus Ex to say one way or another. I'd just point out that narratively, a lot of what Cyberpunk 2077 is based on predates Deus Ex and Cyberpunk 2077 takes its influences from a lot of places like Blade Runner. Cyberpunk 2077 might be different without Deus Ex, but to say Cyberpunk 2077 wouldn't exist without Deus Ex is hyperbole.

I'm very different than I was in my late teens and early 20's. If I could stand the graphics, I'd give the game another shot and see if I can see what so many find so amazing about the game. Unfortunately, I am not the type who can go back and play super old games. The gameplay systems and graphics of yesteryear completely put me off to the experience.

In all honesty, I don't think I've played a game in the last 15-20 years I'd consider among the worst games ever. At least mainstream games. I don't count "indie" games. Back in the Atari, NES, and even 16-bit era there were some baaaaad games. The PC continued getting similarly cut-rate games until around 2000. Not just games that had unlikable elements, but games that were straight up unplayable.

That was not what I meant to say or imply. I simply meant that it was one of the worst games I've ever played. That's simply my opinion. I am well aware that I'm in the minority on that front. Also keep in mind that I was all of 18 or so when Deus Ex came out. I basically only played arena shooters and single player games like Half-Life. If current me went back in time and played it without being spoiled by today's visuals, I may have enjoyed the game. My tastes now are radically different than they were back then.

The opinions of entertainment critics have never mattered to me. Again, I'm well aware of how popular and how well acclaimed the game was and how its regarded to this day. That's how I know I'm in the minority when it comes to my views on the game.

And every time I say Deus Ex was a bad game people like you come out of the wood work to criticize my opinion as if the game being awesome is some immutable fact.

I knew it would rile people up, but it's just my opinion. Said opinion doesn't require self-reflection. I didn't like the game. It's as simple as that. It's one of the worst games I've ever played. Admittedly, that's through the lens of my tastes at the time it came out.

You mean the game that's based on a tabletop role playing game from 1988 that was out 12 years before Deus Ex came out? For all I know Cyberpunk 2020 influenced Deus Ex. It's hard to quantify just how much of an impact if any Deus Ex had on Cyberpunk 2077. The fact is, I don't remember enough of Deus Ex to say one way or another. I'd just point out that narratively, a lot of what Cyberpunk 2077 is based on predates Deus Ex and Cyberpunk 2077 takes its influences from a lot of places like Blade Runner. Cyberpunk 2077 might be different without Deus Ex, but to say Cyberpunk 2077 wouldn't exist without Deus Ex is hyperbole.

I'm very different than I was in my late teens and early 20's. If I could stand the graphics, I'd give the game another shot and see if I can see what so many find so amazing about the game. Unfortunately, I am not the type who can go back and play super old games. The gameplay systems and graphics of yesteryear completely put me off to the experience.
That's sad that you can't enjoy older titles. I've played through duke3d, quake 1, doom 64 (to name a few) this year. Hell I just finished Dusk which is a newer game in the old school style. Had lots of fun in all of them.

And Deus Ex is in my top 10 favorites of all time, there's really no need to doubt it has influenced MANY games sine its release ~20 years ago.

Reactions: M76
like this
That's sad that you can't enjoy older titles. I've played through duke3d, quake 1, doom 64 (to name a few) this year. Hell I just finished Dusk which is a newer game in the old school style. Had lots of fun in all of them.

And Deus Ex is in my top 10 favorites of all time, there's really no need to doubt it has influenced MANY games sine its release ~20 years ago.
The oldest thing I can play and still enjoy is Mass Effect 1. Anything older than that is just too dated for me. I played the crap out of Quake, Diablo, Doom, Doom 2, Duke Nukem 3D, Descent, etc. I played them all for many years. At some point, I got tired of them and moved onto other things. I've tried going back and playing some of these games but they don't hold my interest anymore. I probably played Unreal Tournament 2004 the most up until sometime after Unreal Tournament III was released. I played that too, but only for a short time. After UT III I couldn't go back to UT 2004's visuals. I'm a graphics whore I guess. I'm literally one of the guys who saw Mass Effect 3's textures as being worse than the previous installment and spent countless hours making new ones or fixing existing ones to provide a better visual experience. Prior to that, I had never made mods or even used Photoshop to that level.

KOTOR is one of my all time favorite games. I've tried to replay it and the gameplay and visuals completely turn me off to it. It was the same with Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight.

As for Deus Ex, I have no doubt it influenced many games over the years. That wasn't what I was disputing. I'm simply stating that the comment about Cyberpunk 2077 not existing without Deus Ex is hyperbole. I have no doubt the game might be different, but to say that's worse or that it wouldn't exist at all is speculative at best. We have no way to know.

The oldest thing I can play and still enjoy is Mass Effect 1. Anything older than that is just too dated for me. I played the crap out of Quake, Diablo, Doom, Doom 2, Duke Nukem 3D, Descent, etc. I played them all for many years. I probably played Unreal Tournament 2004 the most up until sometime after Unreal Tournament III was released. I played that too, but only for a short time. After UT III I couldn't go back to UT 2004's visuals. I'm a graphics whore I guess. I'm literally one of the guys who saw Mass Effect 3's textures as being worse than the previous installment and spent countless hours making new ones or fixing existing ones to provide a better visual experience. Prior to that, I had never made mods or even used Photoshop to that level.

As for Deus Ex, I have no doubt it influenced many games over the years. That wasn't what I was disputing. I'm simply stating that the comment about Cyberpunk 2077 not existing without Deus Ex is hyperbole. I have no doubt the game might be different, but to say that's worse or that it wouldn't exist at all is speculative at best. We have no way to know.
Yeah, you might have a sincere OCD about graphics that hinders your enjoyment of quality games, that sucks.

Yeah, you might have a sincere OCD about graphics that hinders your enjoyment of quality games, that sucks.
Well I too have issues going back to very old games and replay them, oldest one I can somewhat still play is quake 2. It does not help that a lot of old games were made for CRT's and look like crap on modern monitors and/or at high resolutions. When I was a kid I used to game on a 12 inch CRT TV with my consoles.

more on topic, one of the worst games I ever played was Postal

What's that game that a bunch of mythical monsters took over new York City? That game sucked so bad I didn't even make it past the first level. It just felt so cheap, but it was marketed like crazy.

I probably do. Even new games that are on the lower end of the graphics quality spectrum often won't work for me. I can play a game that doesn't have the best graphics, but it has to be perfect in just about every other way. If a game looks really good but otherwise falls short, I'll often still play it longver than I would a similarly shitty game that doesn't look as good. The visuals of a game have always been important to me. It's what sets the tone and creates that feeling of immersion. I can't get immersed in something with potato mode graphics.

I probably do. Even new games that are on the lower end of the graphics quality spectrum often won't work for me. I can play a game that doesn't have the best graphics, but it has to be perfect in just about every other way. If a game looks really good but otherwise falls short, I'll often still play it longver than I would a similarly shitty game that doesn't look as good. The visuals of a game have always been important to me. It's what sets the tone and creates that feeling of immersion. I can't get immersed in something with potato mode graphics.
I've always been the exact opposite. I still do not really like some of the graphics in some games though, for example I think minecraft looks awful. I also strongly dislike lensflare and lots of other post-processing effects.

That was not what I meant to say or imply. I simply meant that it was one of the worst games I've ever played. That's simply my opinion. I am well aware that I'm in the minority on that front.
That's exactly the point. There is a difference between worst game, and least liked. I can hate a game with conviction, but earning the title of "worst game" needs some serious, doing. Something that can be substantiated by much more than "it's my opinion".
Also keep in mind that I was all of 18 or so when Deus Ex came out. I basically only played arena shooters and single player games like Half-Life. If current me went back in time and played it without being spoiled by today's visuals, I may have enjoyed the game. My tastes now are radically different than they were back then.
I didn't play much else but racing games and shooters before deusex, it was actually deus ex that started to open my eyes to other genres. If I used your metric then I could call Morrowind the worst game ever, because when it came out I was opposed to the RPG genre, and by the time that changed it was too dated to be enjoyable. The same for KOTOR.
If you said I don't like this game, then that would be the end of the story. But if you know how it is regarded, coming out and saying it is the worst is basically saying "you all like trash"
Because it is immutable fact. Do you think that in order for a game to be called awesome it needs to be liked by literally everyone? Then everything is trash because there is always someone who doesn't like something.
I knew it would rile people up,
That's the very definition of trolling, deliberately posting something for the sake of riling people up.
but it's just my opinion. Said opinion doesn't require self-reflection. I didn't like the game. It's as simple as that. It's one of the worst games I've ever played. Admittedly, that's through the lens of my tastes at the time it came out.
You don't have to reflect about not liking DeusEx when it came out, you have to self-reflect for bullishly holding on to some notion of it being the worst game ever. When you know it is only through your very narrow view of games from 2000.
You mean the game that's based on a tabletop role playing game from 1988 that was out 12 years before Deus Ex came out?
Since you don't know deus ex, you obviously can't know of the many ways it influenced game design. I didn't mean the story, I meant many of the game's mechanics are based on DeusEx.
For all I know Cyberpunk 2020 influenced Deus Ex.
Probably, it is also heavily influenced by Shadowrun, So?
It's hard to quantify just how much of an impact if any Deus Ex had on Cyberpunk 2077. The fact is, I don't remember enough of Deus Ex to say one way or another. I'd just point out that narratively, a lot of what Cyberpunk 2077 is based on predates Deus Ex and Cyberpunk 2077 takes its influences from a lot of places like Blade Runner. Cyberpunk 2077 might be different without Deus Ex, but to say Cyberpunk 2077 wouldn't exist without Deus Ex is hyperbole.
Deus Ex has an intruiging story, but that is not what makes it awesome, it is just a neat premise to make every prominent 90s conspiracy theory fact in the game. No, its real contribution to gaming is in the game mechanics.
Cyberpunk 2077 might exist without Deus Ex, but it certainly wouldn't play the way it does, and wouldn't offer the freedoms it offers to the player. And still CP2077 pales in comparison to DeusEx on how many ways one can complete any mission.

The graphics is the least of DeusEx's issues when it comes to modern audiences. It is the clunky shooting and very basic AI that makes it completely indigestible, even I haven't played through it in over 10 years. That's why it is the game that most desperately needs a remake (but without rewriting).

Worst games Ever:

Windows (all versions)
3dmark (all versions)
Buying a Graphics card post pandemic
Buying a wifi product (any time, ever)

(y)

Worst games Ever:

Windows (all versions)
3dmark (all versions)
Buying a Graphics card post pandemic
Buying a wifi product (any time, ever)

(y)

Some versions of Windows come with fun minigames, like make up a memorable fake product key, or minesweeper, or my personal favorite was setting up a boot menu so you could play dos games in dos and windows stuff in windows etc; sadly discontinued as everything went windows only and you no longer had to carefully order all the things.

Totally agree with you on the others, and add:

Connect two devices with Bluetooth more than once.

That's why I bought it on GOG, because I never played it before. I couldn't get into it because of the controls though. Learning 30 different key binds is not something I miss from old games. I didn't expect it to be on someone's worst games list though.

Dan, I'm with you on this 100%. Janky old graphics I can no longer do. Totally destroys my immersion in the games. I even find myself suffering when I fire up my retro arcade cabinet Legends Ultimate and it's painful to see how dated the graphics of the stuff I grew up with loving... is. I find I don't play many of the games as a result.

Dan, I'm with you on this 100%. Janky old graphics I can no longer do. Totally destroys my immersion in the games. I even find myself suffering when I fire up my retro arcade cabinet Legends Ultimate and it's painful to see how dated the graphics of the stuff I grew up with loving... is. I find I don't play many of the games as a result.
I've found it best to just remember those games fondly in my memory. One day, all the games I enjoy today will look horribly dated and I won't play them any longer either. It's not as if the graphics all of the sudden become unacceptable, but I'll quite playing these when I get bored and play something new. I'll feel like taking a trip down nostalgia road and get about five minutes in before I call it quits wondering what I saw on these titles.

just because you don't like a game, doesn't mean it's one of the worst games...you just might not be a fan of the genre...I know my own tastes and some extremely popular games like Fortnite or Battlefield are not for me (I hate co-op based games)...but to say it's trash or one of the worst games ever is silly...it's just not for me...anyone who says Elden Ring is trash or one of the worst games ever is insane...you may not like the genre but no need to go overboard to make a point

That's why I bought it on GOG, because I never played it before. I couldn't get into it because of the controls though. Learning 30 different key binds is not something I miss from old games. I didn't expect it to be on someone's worst games list though.
Yeah I buy on GoG first these days, if possible. You don't need to learn 30 different binds really. I typically only needed the basics + the heal aug.

UT3 would be mine. Killed the franchise and broke the community from UT99/UT2004.
Unreal Tournament 3 really wasn't a bad game. The problem was is that fan favorite modes were ditched for whatever reason. It felt like it offered less out of the box than the previous installments. UT2003 was actually quite similar in that it wasn't all that well received and for similar reasons. UT2004 was literally the same game as UT2003 with some improvements and more game modes and maps. Eventually they gave UT3 the same treatment without the rebranding and it was a good game at that point but unfortunately, it was too little, too late. The damage was done and no one played it. It wasn't too long after the huge expansion they dropped that finding a game was difficult. Still, I played it with bots for a couple of years. I never put anywhere near the time in it I put into UT 2004 or the original UT 99, but I think it was a solid game after the Titan Pack expansion. Unfortunately, that came out more than a year after the initial game was released and no one was playing it.

Honestly, I am not sure that it even really fractured the community a whole lot. Once UT2004 launched UT2003 was largely forgotten. People still stuck with UT2004 after UT3. The problem is that this was really the end of the arena shooter era as we knew it. Weapon and skin unlocks, loadouts, and garbage like that became the norm and UT3 offered none of it. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare released the same year as Unreal Tournament 3 did. That game offered a vastly different experience over something like UT3. UT3 for better or for worse is largely the same thing as your standard science fiction arena shooters with no single player story and the same basic gameplay we'd had for a decade by that point. Call of Duty is a series that gets a lot of shit for not ever changing and getting worse seemingly all the time but the fact is, back in 2007 it was new and fresh at the time.

I played the piss out of the original Modern Warfare. It was one of the first really good modern military shooters and had different gameplay than what we were used to at the time. Plus, its single player campaign was fun (albeit narratively ridiculous) and it really took the gaming world by storm. UT3 never had a chance.

In contrast DeusEx Invisible war if not the worst game of all time was definitely the most disappointing game for me, a total let down after the 1st one: terrible level design small and boxy and other stupid design decisions. Harvey Smith was in charge of that and I've never really trusted him since then and its part of why I didn't get into Dishonored.

In contrast DeusEx Invisible war if not the worst game of all time was definitely the most disappointing game for me, a total let down after the 1st one: terrible level design small and boxy and other stupid design decisions. Harvey Smith was in charge of that and I've never really trusted him since then and its part of why I didn't get into Dishonored.
I think Invisible War is underrated. Yeah, it had a disastrous launch (performance and other issues). And compared to the original it was quite a let down. But compared to everything else, it is up there with the best games I've played.
It's funny that you should describe the level design as boxy, since it was a direct result of the misguided decision to release the game on the OG XBOX, and they had to make levels that could fit in the limited memory of that console.

When it comes to my opinion on it Invisible War > Dishonored, and I think Dishonored is still a good game worth playing.

I think Invisible War is underrated. Yeah, it had a disastrous launch (performance and other issues). And compared to the original it was quite a let down. But compared to everything else, it is up there with the best games I've played.
It's funny that you should describe the level design as boxy, since it was a direct result of the misguided decision to release the game on the OG XBOX, and they had to make levels that could fit in the limited memory of that console.

When it comes to my opinion on it Invisible War > Dishonored, and I think Dishonored is still a good game worth playing.
Yeah Thief Deadly Shadows suffered from the same limitations in terms of level size bc of the Xbox design limitations.

You're much kinder than I am to DX:IW. To me it was downright terrible since it dropped the ball big time as a sequel.

Yeah Thief Deadly Shadows suffered from the same limitations in terms of level size bc of the Xbox design limitations.

You're much kinder than I am to DX:IW. To me it was downright terrible since it dropped the ball big time as a sequel.
Agreed, IW deserves all the criticism it gets. Those levels were pretty pathetically small for DX, not to mention the awful port it was on release. Crap FOV, vertical sync issues, I couldn't believe it when I first tried to play it. Immediately shelved it until years later.

Back