World's largest neighborhood of 3D-printed homes to break ground in Texas

Houses like this in Austin are absolutely no surprise to me. They've been building fugly buildings in Austin for about a decade now. You have a mix of throwback 60s designs, postmodernism and McMansions. Then there's buildings clad in like squares of different materials. Bricks with corrugated tin squares then into faux wood siding, and they're all painted different colors like they ran out of materials, but it was on purpose. All of them are eye sores, especially the McMansions with huge fishbowl windows painted gaudy colors like hot pink, bright orange and white.

For developments like this they usually grind them flat and they only print the first floor.

They don't grind them flat, they stucco over them to give a smooth surface. To grind a huge wall flat would create tons of concrete dust and weaken the structure since you'd have to remove around 50% of the material making up the wall.

I predict these houses will start falling apart in less than 10 years. Aerated 3D printed concrete is going to soak up moisture like a sponge and cause mold problems. And the first time it freezes, all of that soaked in water is going to blow the concrete apart.

I predict these houses will start falling apart in less than 10 years. Aerated 3D printed concrete is going to soak up moisture like a sponge and cause mold problems. And the first time it freezes, all of that soaked in water is going to blow the concrete apart.
Everything is built to be replaced nowadays. It's funny when people spend tons of money for a McMansion for the looks, but the actual construction is bare minimum. I'll take my 1947 house with a steel beam, poured concrete basement walls, and 1" thick plaster walls anyday over these modern overpriced and underbuilt bubbles.

Houses like this in Austin are absolutely no surprise to me. They've been building fugly buildings in Austin for about a decade now. You have a mix of throwback 60s designs, postmodernism and McMansions. Then there's buildings clad in like squares of different materials. Bricks with corrugated tin squares then into faux wood siding, and they're all painted different colors like they ran out of materials, but it was on purpose. All of them are eye sores, especially the McMansions with huge fishbowl windows painted gaudy colors like hot pink, bright orange and white.

They don't grind them flat, they stucco over them to give a smooth surface. To grind a huge wall flat would create tons of concrete dust and weaken the structure since you'd have to remove around 50% of the material making up the wall.

Yeah, the F I thinking, they're going to grind it flat..... Stucco has some decent weatherproofing mixes and the reinforced fiberglass mixes they use for these printed houses is fairly robust, it's not technically concrete, and it is not at all environmentally friendly.

If they did a whole house in the stuff I could see that being a problem 10-15 years down the road, but I am betting they did what they did in Flordia, they will 3D print the foundation and first floor and then use normal timber framing for the second floor and roofing.

But I live in a place filled with cheap post-WW2 housing, it was supposed to last 10 maybe 20 years and 70+ later they are still here.

what ever happened to living in a mobile home? I have one. It was built in 1984 and is still doing well. Seems folks need something fancy, something they can brag too to their friends and neighbors. Humble and simple has gone out the window. It's become a "gotta have more' world. Can't keep running at this pace, you watch and see. Many folks who have things nice think it won't touch them. Sad, they will crash the hardest when it hits.

One could make that same argument about electronics and computers, too.

Pffftt.... We should all just live in this!
2BF47A9200000578-3221746-image-a-103_1441327677355.jpg

Reactions: jtm55
like this
Back