World of Warcraft: Shadowlands

Hit 60 a few days ago. Got the ilvl for Heroics now. Switched back to Holy. Disc is fun, but its a freaking chore to keep a lousy group alive. At least with Holy I have a few safety nets.

I'm sick of the quest line. It just goes on and on. I just want to run dungeons and raid. I'm so over kill X to collect Y an turn in at Z.

The Maw place is freaking stupid.

Did Torghast once. Wasn't bad I guess.

Still got a lot to do. I just want to get into M+ dungeons and maybe a once a week raid or something.

"kill x to collect y and turn in at z" is literally every MMO or RPG game in the history of the genre. I cant think of a single one that, when it gets down to it, ISNT that. Sometimes you go to Q, R, N, T, M, U and THEN Z, but you always do stuff for someone, then go to someone to turn it in, and 99% of the time its a giant circle and you end up back at the starting quest person.

This expansion clearly isnt for you, and it seems that RPGs in general may not be for you anymore if you hate the base concept of every single one thats ever been out there.

Doing the storyline gets you nice stuff, doing the dailies gets you nice stuff, etc etc.

You can do heroics and mythic and raids without doing the storyline or dailies or anything to do with the covenants, but youll be making it a lot harder on yourself, and not have a useful skill or three as well as 2-6 perks and bonuses from soulbinds, same as if you dont do torghast and unlock the runecarver and his crafted gear, youll be missing a powerful piece of gear with a very nice enchant that you can put on it. You'll be more or less limited to raidfinder and low series mythics, but you can still do them.

"kill x to collect y and turn in at z" is literally every MMO or RPG game in the history of the genre. I cant think of a single one that, when it gets down to it, ISNT that. Sometimes you go to Q, R, N, T, M, U and THEN Z, but you always do stuff for someone, then go to someone to turn it in, and 99% of the time its a giant circle and you end up back at the starting quest person.

This expansion clearly isnt for you, and it seems that RPGs in general may not be for you anymore if you hate the base concept of every single one thats ever been out there.
I don't think you could be any further from the truth. I've tried dozens and dozens of games ranging from AAA titles, Indy, went back to Dune II, and tried many reboots of older games. I always come back to Warcraft. Always. Path of Exile being my alternate.

I'm fine with X, Y, Z, but there seems to be a lot of it this time round that's more or less required. Perhaps its my less available play time due to family and work, but it just seems like I've got a lot of chores before I start hitting the M+ and raid scene. This chapter, after chapter, after chapter of the quest line is boring to me.

The renown grind is fine, I don't mind it. Honestly I don't mind grinds overall. I've played Lineage ][ (retail) for YEARS AND YEARS and have a decent background in EVE Online. So the grind is fine.

World quest rewards seem a bit underwhelming. Then again, I think I always had a flying mount available. Bombing down from site to site is s much better. Running place to place for a piece of 151 or 35 anima just isn't doing it for me.

I just feel like everything is time gated. Maw being the prime example. No mounts unless you kill one of those dogs. That timer deal where if you kill more mobs, its a total bitch to do anything and you have to wait for it to reset. I mean, just let me mount, knock out my quest line, and move on.

I just want to get my ilvl from 165 to 170, start knocking out M+, find a casual guild that will get me raiding once a week, and go on from there.

Once the quest line is over and I'm running steady M+ I'll be much happier.

what server/side do you guys play on? I was thinking of joining a high pop one like illidan. looks like its all horde, which is fine because I want to play horde, but is this an issue for pvping? I made a character to test joining it cause it said it was full, but it loaded me in instantly onto a ship.

Last edited:
alliance on Shadowmoon. Guild of one lol. I have been playing even more casually on this one then previous ones. Its ok, but i personally have gotten super bored with it faster then any of the others

alliance on Shadowmoon. Guild of one lol. I have been playing even more casually on this one then previous ones. Its ok, but i personally have gotten super bored with it faster then any of the others
I'm playing horde on thrall. I think my trial is almost finished. I bought game time before blizzard got rid of the 30 days. retail wow is actually kinda nice looking. but the gameplay is really easy. I heard that changes at 60, so I'm kinda rushing to get to 60. I picked up herb and skinning. I want to see how feasible it is to make 130k gold or whatever it takes to get a token. I wouldn't mind playing classic again at some point, so if I can use my retail character to get tokens that would be cool. my ingame name is: Seriesheals

Depending on your servers AH, its really easy to make money off herb/alch, I paid for ~6 months of game time doing it, would usually do maybe 1-3 days of moderate effort to gather and make flasks/sell stacks of herbs Herbs alone can pay for it if you spend another day or two just gathering. Its easy peasy. Get the shredder mount to pick without dismounting, lifes so easy. Not sure about skinning, but since herb alone can pay for game time, that'll just make it easier lol

Reactions: Gabe3
like this
I'm a big WoW fan, been playing since launch. But I have to say that Shadowlands feels a bit generic, and bland, and I might actually unsub for the first time in like 6 years, which was during WoD.

Of the recent expansions I would say Legion was one of the good ones, lots to do, and was freshly designed. Class Halls, Artifact weapon appearances, Class mounts, Mage Tower, they introduced M+, and World Quests were new too, and actually gave good rewards and were pretty straightforward and fun to do. I would grade Legion A- / B+

And then BfA, I didn't care for at first, but now in hindsight I'd say was actually pretty good, not terrible, not great. Overall it was ok, would grade BfA C+

Shadowlands, I was foaming at the mouth, so excited for it, but now, I am very disappointed in it. I wouldn't call it horrible and the worst expansion ever, no, that's not a good description. But it just feels empty or hollow, rather generic, not much to do after the initial campaign and Covenant stuff is completed. Besides the Raid and M+, there's pretty much nothing to do. And we have to wait until like July for patch 9.1 which means it will have been 8 months since the expansion release that we wait for new content. I would grade Shadowlands a C- / D+

I am not a fan of the new zones being completely separated islands, and flying between zones always needing to go through Oribos is a pain. No flight whistle WTF.

I am not a fan of the new zones being completely separated islands, and flying between zones always needing to go through Oribos is a pain. No flight whistle WTF.
I can agree with this, then again I'm a altoholic so that's keeping me busy for a while still.

What bothered me in Bfa was that there were 6 new zones, but only realy 3 for your faction, and the travelling between them was a pain imo, they made that worse now with the seperated zones, on the other hand if you played both sides you had 2 different campaigns which we do not have now and the leveling without going trough the sotry is pretty boring.

I also dislike the anima system, the price for upgrades to your base and all the cosmetics is ridiculously high, sort of like they new they had little content and used this to keep people busy, might have worked for me if I only played one toon, but so far I have 13 lvl 60 and more on the way, no way in hell am I going to farm that much anima ever.

I totally agree with Zack in this video;

Been playing since launch, and Shadowlands is just so disappointing and boring. These insane "systems" are just ridiculous already, they were sort of cool and fresh in Legion, and not as much in BfA, and now just aggravating to have in the game. I'd much rather have the MoP style of WoW back

Yeah SL is really boring and terrible to play, its really sad how they are just driving the game off the cliff. Ive been playing since early 2004, and Ive never seen the game in so bad a shape. Its like the game developers no longer play the game anymore, and they want you to play in their most convoluded system laden gameplay loop, and no other way. They just keep retreading the same concepts every expansion, like they cant admit people dont like them. Hey people really hate that mission table, lets keep that going for the next 3 expansions.

Then they keep redoing things like classes over and over, reinventing the wheel multiple times and acomplishing little. They spend endless amounts of dev time creating solutions to problems they create out of whole cloth. Plus dev time fixing systems they put in that beta testers say wont work, and they refuse to believe their ideas arent perfect, then it turns out they were very wrong. The game is just barely treading water, and they just keep driving players away. The game could be so much better if they stopped being world of systemcraft, and just made a good story with fun things to do. It seems they arent capable of doing that, and just try to keep people subscribed by wasting peoples time with tedious systems.

I hated WoD, I thought was one of the worst expansions for WoW, and I thought to myself, maybe it's me, maybe I'm just done with WoW now, and outgrew this game. But I came back to try Legion, thinking, let's just see if this new Legion expansion is any good, or just crap like WoD? Well Legion ROCKED and was one of the best expansions ever, and I was back and addicted to WoW again. My point, it's not me, it's Blizzard releasing a shitty expansion in Shaodwnads.

Tons of my WoW friends that I have been playing with for 10+ years, have all majorly slowed in playing Shadowlands, or unsubbed. I have characters on three full populated servers, and the last couple months I haven't seen WoW so empty like this, since WoD, the game is a ghost town on these servers recently.

To me the last 10 years the best expansions were Legion and MoP, and the worst were WoD and so far Shadowlands in that same category. I would put Cat and BfA in the middle pack, not great, not terrible, just ok.

I didn't hate WoD as I could still have fun with it casually and somewhat in raids. But the raids weren't great and losing so many players made it hard to want to raid much. Legion I ended up hating because the design of it was just so much nonsense and forced grind or random luck for the legendaries. Raid design helped kill my guild, forced me to server transfer (then back again 1.5 years later). I effectively quit playing WoW at the end of Legion and really went casual the last 6 months of it after my guild defeated the last heroic diff raid. I had 3 max level, heroic raid capable characters by the end instead of my usual 5-7, and say 10 max level toons.

I barely touched BfA, raided with some old friends, leveled 2-3 characters to max I think and then quit when my raid group fell apart. Didn't even raid on my main raiding character. I have fired up Shadowlands once since it came out. My friends who still play it, play it very little or all play classic. Grinding in classic does not appeal to me.

I'll be playing TBC for sure and not Shadowlands.

But I haven't tried the new Classic that's been out a couple years, not a fan of that grind anymore, did it 17 years ago, and never again.

But Burning Crusade was awesome, I'll come back to play that one again. I recall such fond memories of that expansion. The leveling and zones were great.

I'll be playing TBC for sure and not Shadowlands.

But I haven't tried the new Classic that's been out a couple years, not a fan of that grind anymore, did it 17 years ago, and never again.

But Burning Crusade was awesome, I'll come back to play that one again. I recall such fond memories of that expansion. The leveling and zones were great.
You should give it a try. I find Classic less of a grind and faster than I remember. Addons and websites like wowhead make it much easier.

I'm waiting for Legion Classic, See you soon in 2033 haha :happy: ... But WoW SL is okay so far. Better than BFA. But the WoW community became very toxic
Became toxic? I haven't played WoW a whole lot but it always seemed toxic to me. Basically every MMORPG now is very toxic if you are not part of the meta.

I am glad to see people finally calling out blizz for their laziness and treatment of the player base. Like how wow is pretty much a paid beta test, where they always eventually fix their systems problems by the end of the expansion and then start over again with the same issues. On top of how both Bfa and SL are just rebrands of all the legion systems they came up with when they actually had to put the effort in to make a good expansion after they abandoned Wod halfway through. They are so focused on numbers and forcing people to play the way they want them to, they have lost track of making a fun and good playing MMO. I hope they change and save the game rather than being content to run it into the ground like all their other IP.

Became toxic? I haven't played WoW a whole lot but it always seemed toxic to me. Basically every MMORPG now is very toxic if you are not part of the meta.
Or part of a top raid group where you're encouraged to find builds, or pvping in some games where it's more flexible. I've never been in a toxic guild but I don't do casual ones usually "semi core" or similar. Top guilds tend to be much less toxic than general ones you find. You do need the skill to get in though!

Or part of a top raid group where you're encouraged to find builds, or pvping in some games where it's more flexible. I've never been in a toxic guild but I don't do casual ones usually "semi core" or similar. Top guilds tend to be much less toxic than general ones you find. You do need the skill to get in though!
They not toxic to each other generally. But those group are to outsiders. They expect everyone to play up to their level anything less they get shit on.

I want $5,000 for this Epic sword, I'll give you 750 bucks for it. Ok.

LOL
thats the way it goes sometimes on this show. actually most times. I don't understand the pricing. they said one sold for 20k I think, and the expert said its worth 1200?

I am glad to see people finally calling out blizz for their laziness and treatment of the player base. Like how wow is pretty much a paid beta test, where they always eventually fix their systems problems by the end of the expansion and then start over again with the same issues. On top of how both Bfa and SL are just rebrands of all the legion systems they came up with when they actually had to put the effort in to make a good expansion after they abandoned Wod halfway through. They are so focused on numbers and forcing people to play the way they want them to, they have lost track of making a fun and good playing MMO. I hope they change and save the game rather than being content to run it into the ground like all their other IP.

That's why ppl are moving to FFXIV en mass. Ever since it recovered from the disaster launch in A Realm Reborn. Every expansion have been great in both story and feature updates and with the Endwalker expansion 6.0 coming in Nov, The initial story will finally come to an end and a whole new story will start in 6.1. The only weak point right now is Guild housing but they'll be introducing a new housing area soon and a whole new Data Center for Oceania region will help to take some of the pressure off the other three. If you have not tried it before. I would really encourage you to give it a try. The ability to play all the classes with just one character is worth checking out on it's own.

The production is is not only dedicated but are very open to player response. The producer key teamer member host live letter every few months and address new developments and player concerns. Watch clips of some of the recent Digital Fan Fest 2021. Especially the Keynote and closing address at the end to see how dedicated the team are.

Last edited:
That's why ppl are moving to FFXIV en mass. Ever since it recovered from the disaster launch in A Realm Reborn. Every expansion have been great in both story and feature updates and with the Endwalker expansion 6.0 coming in Nov, The initial story will finally come to an end and a whole new story will start in 6.1. The only weak point right now is Guild housing but they'll be introducing a new housing area soon and a whole new Data Center for Oceania region will help to take some of the pressure off the other three. If you have not tried it before. I would really encourage you to give it a try. The ability to play all class with just one character is worth checking out on it's own.

The production is is not only dedicated but are very open to player response. The producer key teamer member host live letter every few months and address new developments and player concerns. Watch clips of some of the recent Digital Fan Fest 2021. Especially the Keynote and closing address at the end to see how dedicated the team are.

I played it a few years ago, couldnt much get into it in spite of really trying, the combat just seemed glacial to me. I am used to high speed rogue spamming and FF just didnt flow right to me.

I played it a few years ago, couldnt much get into it in spite of really trying, the combat just seemed glacial to me. I am used to high speed rogue spamming and FF just didnt flow right to me.

Ah but the story and NPC interaction is so much better. The fact that every player is the hero of the story and the story actually flows around you feels so much better than playing a peon with almost no impact on the story flow. Might want to check out some of the newer classes, some have pretty interesting combat mechanics.

I want $5,000 for this Epic sword, I'll give you 750 bucks for it. Ok.

LOL

If, I'm spending that kind of money on a MMO, I want something real like the FFXIV x Fender's 75th anniversary Stratocaster FFVIX edition that just introduced in the Fan fest (would have too if I can play)

https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/69be388dbf357489993a69c2f03cfb0032f7c682

or the Citizen x FFXIV Collaboration watches (which I did pre-order):

https://store.na.square-enix-games....inal-fantasy-xiv-collaboration-watch-darkness

He didn't mention how much he paid when he first bought it. It seems well made so I would guess it would have to be $400-$500?

Was spinning my wheels looking for another game after this Path of Exile league. Ended up resubbing to Warcraft. I'll play for a month or two I guess. Make another healer or something.

Patch 9.1 isn't that bad, it finally brings in some new content, something to do again. But it probably won't keep players engaged very long, maybe a couple months or so.

I'm afraid come Sept / Oct. WoW will be a ghost town, until patch 9.2, which hopefully won't take 7+ months.

Patch 9.1 isn't that bad, it finally brings in some new content, something to do again. But it probably won't keep players engaged very long, maybe a couple months or so.

I'm afraid come Sept / Oct. WoW will be a ghost town, until patch 9.2, which hopefully won't take 7+ months.
Was there a recent patch? When I was updating my addons, I noticed they all had release dates of like a day ago.

I've got a 54 Resto Shaman that I'll jump on. Already have a Priest and Druid geared really well as of six months ago.

I kind of wish there were resets or something. Sixty days, the server restarts, and we all start over. I may just do that. Set a timer for myself. After sixty days, delete the character, start over.

Back