Workstation for audio recording; DAW under $1200

stateofjermaine

[H]ard|Gawd
Heh, Danny rightly pointed out that my old DAW blog with an unlimited budget is really different enough by now, that I need to start a new thread. So, what have we, now?

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing?
This build will be for an audio workstation. We will be utilizing MIDI almost exclusively, and we have a fairly large library of VST and Audio Units instruments. Some of these instruments are so intensive that, on our current system, we often get processing freezes, pops, and error messages in the first seconds of playback. One particular piano plugin requires a 20GB installation. Pretty heavy.

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
For now, I think the budget should be held to under $1200. Not too concerned about whether tax and shipping are included.

3) Where do you live?
Currently, Fort Bragg, NC. Although, my production partner lives in Baltimore.

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
PSU, motherboard, CPU, RAM, hard drive, and an optical drive.

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
Not reusing, per se, but I am fairly excited about using the Silverstone FT03 case. Just really like the looks and size of it. So, while I'm open to other ideas, I think it will need to be included in the price.

6) Will you be overclocking?
I'm open to it. At least a little nudge.

7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
Maybe a 23" or so, not included in this price, tho. I'm flexible on resolution.

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Should be within the next two weeks, although it's not being funded by me, so that is out of my hands.

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video?
Just looking for a good solid board. Tend to prefer GIGABYTE, but I know lots of vendors put out good quality.

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
Yes, I've got a legit key. 64-bit.

Here is a preliminary idea.

Additional Info: I came into the recording situation after there was already a lot of established equipment. Also, I wasn't all that tech savvy, then, so it's hard to be sure. But I believe one of these is the rig that was sputtering out on us under heavy processing load: Mac Pro 2006

Last edited:
I'll try to answer this later as I'm about to head out, but here are things to keep in mind. What is your interface using? (ie USB/Firewire). How is the driver support for your interface under windows? (I hope it isn't MOTU) Aside from the audio interface, the USB/Firewire chipset used on the motherboard plays a big role in regards to latency

I'll try to answer this later as I'm about to head out, but here are things to keep in mind. What is your interface using? (ie USB/Firewire). How is the driver support for your interface under windows? (I hope it isn't MOTU) Aside from the audio interface, the USB/Firewire chipset used on the motherboard plays a big role in regards to latency
We have been using an HD192 for some time, and it is MOTU, I believe. Also, no one said anything about Windows. :D :eek:

Additionally, latency was not really an issue, for us. Our problems were something much more pronounced than that, I think. I would activate a plug-in (like our piano software, "Ivory"), and hit play. It would play for about 10 or 15 seconds, and then the pops would start. They'd get worse and worse until about 20 seconds later, the error message. I don't remember it exactly, but something along the lines of, "Too much processing." This made recording and mixing almost impossible. If we had three or four large instruments playing, it would happen even more quickly. Not saying I'm an expert on the issue, but just hoping to shed some more light.

Last edited:
Get two sets of this this RAM instead as it gets an addtional 4GB of RAM for the same price:
$65 - G.Skill Ripjaw Series F3-12800CL9S-8GBRL 2 x 4GB DDR3 1600 RAM

There's little to no real world difference between DDR3 1333 RAM and DDR3 1600 RAM. So you should be ok. Though if you want satisfy some epeen issue, then go with two sets of this DDR3 1600 RAM:

Either way, that Kingston set is a poor choice.

GPU wise, you don't need such a GPU. You should be fine with the HD 6450.

Storage wise, why not split up your storage? i.e have a fast 1TB drive for the OS and applications and two 2TB drives for storing the audio work? Or are application installations so large that a 3TB drive is needed?

mixerguy said:
I keep getting the error: “Audio playback has overloaded your computer's processor. Digital Performer has detected an error in the audio."
Here, I found someone in an audio forum posting it.

Last edited:
Get two sets of this this RAM instead as it gets an addtional 4GB of RAM for the same price:
My fault, Danny. I didn't update the initial post on this "interesting" issue. Basically, my partner has spoken with some *apparently* power users, who admittedly have some good work, and they claim to have dramatically improved their performance by maxing out the RAM in their systems (24GB and upward). So, being that we're dealing with only 4 RAM slots, I actually was considering (am considering) even a 2 x 8GB set to start out with, leaving more room to upgrade. Thoughts?

There's little to no real world difference between DDR3 1333 RAM and DDR3 1600 RAM. So you should be ok. Though if you want satisfy some epeen issue, then go with two sets of this DDR3 1600 RAM:

Either way, that Kingston set is a poor choice.
Haha, no epeen issues, here, thanks! I will veer away from Kingston, then. I don't know that they even offer a 2 x 8GB set, anyway. I think Patriot does.

GPU wise, you don't need such a GPU. You should be fine with the HD 6450.
Great, pretty much what I need to know. Would that be sufficient if we added a second or third monitor (and possibly some video playback while tracking)?

Storage wise, why not split up your storage? i.e have a fast 1TB drive for the OS and applications and two 2TB drives for storing the audio work? Or are application installations so large that a 3TB drive is needed?
Sounds fine, to me. I think applications max out around 250GB, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Thought I wrote this in my first post in this thread but must've forgotten to C&P it:
Why go for a mATX case that costs just as much as a higher quality ATX case and isn't that much smaller than an ATX case? Not to mention that you could save a lot of money by going with a regular ATX case which means that you can squeeze in a fast SSD.

My fault, Danny. I didn't update the initial post on this "interesting" issue. Basically, my partner has spoken with some *apparently* power users, who admittedly have some good work, and they claim to have dramatically improved their performance by maxing out the RAM in their systems (24GB and upward). So, being that we're dealing with only 4 RAM slots, I actually was considering (am considering) even a 2 x 8GB set to start out with, leaving more room to upgrade. Thoughts?
Technically, it should work. However the problem is that there is a possibility that a 2x8GB set may not work on a consumer grade motherboard. I know that server or workstation class mobos will work fine with those 2x8GB sets just fine.
Haha, no epeen issues, here, thanks! I will veer away from Kingston, then. I don't know that they even offer a 2 x 8GB set, anyway. I think Patriot does.
I wouldn't say avoid Kingston forever however. Kingston do make good and well priced RAM. It's just that particular RAM set is not a good choice for the money. And Kingston does offer a 2 x 8GB set:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820139271

Not only is it significantly cheaper than the Patriot 2x8GB RAM set, it should have a higher chance of compatibiltiy judging from all the Kingston RAM I see in a lot of server and workstation builds.
Great, pretty much what I need to know. Would that be sufficient if we added a second or third monitor (and possibly some video playback while tracking)?
Should be ok.
Sounds fine, to me. I think applications max out around 250GB, so it shouldn't be a problem.
Then I recommend this storage setup:
$65 - Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
$160 - 2 x Samsung Spinpoint F4 HD204UI 2TB 5400 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

Thought I wrote this in my first post in this thread but must've forgotten to C&P it:
Why go for a mATX case that costs just as much as a higher quality ATX case and isn't that much smaller than an ATX case? Not to mention that you could save a lot of money by going with a regular ATX case which means that you can squeeze in a fast SSD.
Hmm, really good question. I'll have to admit, this is the one area where I have allowed aesthetics to creep in and affect my better judgment. I do like the Mac Pro style cues, and the materials used. I'm not terribly concerned about the size, itself. I would actually have been happy to see a similar case in an ATX form-factor. Is the case not of high quality? What higher-quality cases are you thinking of in that price range? I don't mind if they're larger, so long as they have a sleek look.

Technically, it should work. However the problem is that there is a possibility that a 2x8GB set may not work on a consumer grade motherboard. I know that server or workstation class mobos will work fine with those 2x8GB sets just fine.
I see. Yeah, the specs on the motherboard claim to allow up to 32GB, but I'm sure mileage may vary, or maybe unforeseen issues may arise.

I wouldn't say avoid Kingston forever however. Kingston do make good and well priced RAM. It's just that particular RAM set is not a good choice for the money. And Kingston does offer a 2 x 8GB set:

Not only is it significantly cheaper than the Patriot 2x8GB RAM set, it should have a higher chance of compatibilty judging from all the Kingston RAM I see in a lot of server and workstation builds.
Great.

Then I recommend this storage setup:
$65 - Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
$160 - 2 x Samsung Spinpoint F4 HD204UI 2TB 5400 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
I'll wait on your case recommendations, and see if I can reconfigure my build, and keep it under budget.

Last edited:
Hmm, really good question. I'll have to admit, this is the one area where I have allowed aesthetics to creep in and affect my better judgment. I do like the Mac Pro style cues, and the materials used. I'm not terribly concerned about the size, itself. I would actually have been happy to see a similar case in an ATX form-factor. Is the case not of high quality? What higher-quality cases are you thinking of in that price range? I don't mind if they're larger, so long as they have a sleek look.

That Silverstone is of high quality but just priced too high IMO. Other cases to check out in that price range:
$160 - Silverstone RV02B-W ATX case
$178 - Silverstone RV02B-EW ATX case
$190 - Corsair Obsidian Series 650D ATX Case
$220 - Cooler Master ATCS 840 RC-840-KKN1-GP Full Tower ATX Case
$230 - Silverstone FT02B ATX Case

Additional cases to look at:
$90 - Lian Li Lancool PC-K7B ATX Case
$100 - Lian Li PC-7B Plus II ATX Case
$100 - Cooler Master HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP ATX Case
$110 - NZXT Whisper WHI - 001BK ATX Full Tower Case
$110 - Lian Li PC-60FN ATX Case
$100 - Lian Li PC-7FN ATX Case
$120 - Velocity Micro GX2-W Silver Classic Aluminum Case with Side Window
$120 - Fractal Design Arc Mini Tower
$127 - Fractal Design Define R3 Black ATX Case
$140 - NZXT Phantom PHAN-001WT White Full Tower ATX Case
$140 - NZXT Phantom PHAN-001BK Black Full Tower ATX Case
$140 - Lian Li PC-9F ATX Case
$143 - NZXT Phantom PHAN-002OR Black Finish w/Orange Trim Full Tower ATX Case
$150 - Corsair Graphite Series 600T ATX Case

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'd forgotten about the 600T! It looks very nice, and fully featured, but also pretty large, even for an ATX enclosure. The FT02 is a great-looking case, but more expensive. Does Velocity Micro have any more cases? They look promising. Anyway, thanks, very overview of the chassis landscape, there! I'll have to sleep on it and post a re-build tomorrow.

P.S. Have you always been a moderator, here?

I'd forgotten about the 600T! It looks very nice, and fully featured, but also pretty large, even for an ATX enclosure. The FT02 is a great-looking case, but more expensive. Does Velocity Micro have any more cases? They look promising. Anyway, thanks, very overview of the chassis landscape, there! I'll have to sleep on it and post a re-build tomorrow.

P.S. Have you always been a moderator, here?

The 600T isn't really that big when you see it in real life. VM basically use to use custom made Lian Li cases. Not sure if they have any more.

Oh and I only became a moderator about 5-6 months ago.

8GB sticks of desktop (unregistered non-ecc) memory have only just appeared on the market. Currently newegg only has ONE kit containing such modules.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211564

Given that currently 2x8GB is more than double the cost of 4x4GB it's IMO not worth it at this point.

Like most 8GB modules on the market those are registered ECC and as far as I can tell NO lga1155 boards (not even the server ones) support registered memory.

Yah, just go for 4x 4GB sticks for now, and when it's time to upgrade (when 8GB sticks come down in price), you can sell the old sticks to help lower the cost of the upgrade.

Good info, here, gents. I'll be excited to see how it all shakes out in the rebuild after work. Got your PM, bytheway, enginurd. Get back to you ASAP.

Why not just buy a monster sandy bridge laptop and hook it up to a monitor, then use a USB external soundcard with nice monitor speakers ? can do your music stuff anywhere then... I've been doing it that way recently with a Macbook Pro.

Or just build a sandy bridge desktop without the monster graphics card.

8gb of ram is definitely enough for most VST's, that's the only upgrade i suggest being worth it.

Why not just buy a monster sandy bridge laptop and hook it up to a monitor, then use a USB external soundcard with nice monitor speakers ? can do your music stuff anywhere then... I've been doing it that way recently with a Macbook Pro.
We had a 17" MBP. It crumbled under the load. Of course, technology is always advancing, I suppose.

Or just build a sandy bridge desktop without the monster graphics card.
Heh, isn't that what I'm doing? Haha. A 6670 is hardly a monster. :D

8gb of ram is definitely enough for most VST's, that's the only upgrade i suggest being worth it.
Sounds good, but I'd like to point that our instruments are apparently a far cry from "most VST's". Honestly, I hate most VST instruments, and that must be why they ones I like are so resource-intensive. Vienna Symphonic Library alone is into the hundreds of GB's of sample, gestures, articulations, etc. As I mentioned, our piano plug-in is a 20GB installation. The sound is magnificent, but there is a price for performance.

Back