With Internet Down, Windows 10 doesn'r have permission to conecct to local network shared drives

whateverer

[H]ard|Gawd
I can't figure this one out - I setup my media library share so I can watch things if the internet is down, but lat night it told me it didn't have permission to map the drives. They came back up once Internet was restored. I can't recall having thesse issues when I was running under Windows 7 Homegroup.For drive sharing, I have permissions set to fully enabled, with Everyone having access.

I have the following options for Advanced Sharing (these were setup in order to give me as painless access as Homegroup, but perhaps this is the wrong approach?

my network.png

Do I need to setup different permissions to maintain my local network when the internet is down? Is this something to do with Windows 10 Firewall?

You should turn off / uncheck automatic setup of network drives. Do that yourself.

You should also turn off Public folder sharing. Also, public file and print sharing should not be on unless you have a very good reason to turn it on.

Edit: What are you streaming them from? A Synology NAS or similar?

You should turn off / uncheck automatic setup of network drives. Do that yourself.

You should also turn off Public folder sharing. Also, public file and print sharing should not be on unless you have a very good reason to turn it on.

Edit: What are you streaming them from? A Synology NAS or similar?

I'm streaming it from a Windows Pro PC, to a Windows home HTPC, running Universal Media Center.. The TV's DLNA inout plays files from that, or else I play things locally (like websites with streaming video) on the HTPC.

I wasn't just unable to map my drive from the HTPC, I was also unable to map a drive form my gaming system, or my Wife's laptop. All of the above started working again after internet was restored.

I will try your suggestions, and see if that improves my internet-off experience.

Last edited:
Are you logged in with a Microsoft account or a local user account? that might be one of the problems. That Microsoft account wants to go out on the Internet to connect and give you a bunch of junk you don't need and share info that would be better kept private.
I too second leaving all public stuff off unless you have a really good reason to need it on. (I can see turning it on to see if that is the issue but if not effect turn it back off.)

This also could be an authentication problem. Seen this on other computers. Used to be Windows would prompt you if it was having issues. Now sometimes it doesn't. Which brings me full circle back to the first question. Could be when you try to connect you are using the Microsoft account. So to authenticate it tries to go out to Microsoft to do so, it of course can't so it denies permission thus you can't see.

A work aroudn would be to configre a windows share and change the permission for everyone to allow. (Of course this leaves you system from a security stand point wide open but I've had to do this before sometimes to get a share to work so we could move files.)

Are you logged in with a Microsoft account or a local user account? that might be one of the problems. That Microsoft account wants to go out on the Internet to connect and give you a bunch of junk you don't need and share info that would be better kept private.
I too second leaving all public stuff off unless you have a really good reason to need it on. (I can see turning it on to see if that is the issue but if not effect turn it back off.)

This also could be an authentication problem. Seen this on other computers. Used to be Windows would prompt you if it was having issues. Now sometimes it doesn't. Which brings me full circle back to the first question. Could be when you try to connect you are using the Microsoft account. So to authenticate it tries to go out to Microsoft to do so, it of course can't so it denies permission thus you can't see.

A work aroudn would be to configre a windows share and change the permission for everyone to allow. (Of course this leaves you system from a security stand point wide open but I've had to do this before sometimes to get a share to work so we could move files.)

I'm using my Hotmail account to login to each machine, so maybe that could be the cause? Would I have to create new local accounts tot work around this, or do you know of any easier hacks?

I've already go the folder permissions set to "Everyone", so that's not one of them :(

I'm using my Hotmail account to login to each machine, so maybe that could be the cause? Would I have to create new local accounts tot work around this, or do you know of any easier hacks?

I've already go the folder permissions set to "Everyone", so that's not one of them :(
Everyone is a good start, but make sure its on both the share permissions AND the security permissions.

I really prefer local accounts for everything unless you are using each machine for personal use only. The Microsoft account can be nice for coordinating if you are using One Drive, logging into edge, etc... Microsoft is trying to provide what Google has for a while by logging into the their account. Which by doing so gives them all kinds of tracking data as well. (Yet another massive reason I do NOT use the stupid online accounts unless I have to.

I would set up a local account in each machine. Set up a share and have the other machine map to that share. You should be prompted to give a user/password. Make sure to click the box to remember so it stays persistent. If that fixes the shares it tells you the online account is the troublemaker!

Back