Witcher 3: GOTY Edition $9.99

It should also be the same price on Steam. I believe my son bought it for $10 on Steam yesterday. I'm pretty sure it's the lowest price the game has ever been on Steam and GoG.

Use GOG if possible to fully support the developer instead of Gabe Newell taking his usual cut.

I liked this game enough to finish it (or at least the main storyline), which is very rare for me. The DLC is recommended around lvl 30ish so there is plenty of content after you finish the main story. You get a lot of game for $10

I just picked this up, as I've never played it. I have a 10850K with a 3090 and will be playing on my Epson 5040UB "4k projector". I'm very familiar with modding Skyrim and the Fallout series and see there's quite a bit of modding with this game. Do you feel it's worthwhile to mod this for a first playthrough? Looking on Youtube, it seems the vanilla version with a 3090 at 4k gets about 100 fps, so there is some room for graphics mods as my projector is only 60 hz. I appreciate any input.

I just picked this up, as I've never played it. I have a 10850K with a 3090 and will be playing on my Epson 5040UB "4k projector". I'm very familiar with modding Skyrim and the Fallout series and see there's quite a bit of modding with this game. Do you feel it's worthwhile to mod this for a first playthrough? Looking on Youtube, it seems the vanilla version with a 3090 at 4k gets about 100 fps, so there is some room for graphics mods as my projector is only 60 hz. I appreciate any input.
The game is so good I'd be afraid you'd mess up the experience with mods. I played it as the final package GoTY edition with both expansions around 2018. In my opinion, the only thing I might have wanted differently than what I got was a quick travel from anywhere mod, instead of having to visit sign posts, but then you would miss so much of the BEAUTIFULLY hand crafted world -- so even that I don't think I would do. A lot of what makes the game so great is the random wandering and fantastic side quests where the side quests that are fully optional are as good as most AAA games main quests. After I completed the game, I went back through and just wandered the game's countryside picking up side quests I'd missed. Such a good game!!!

Give it a few hours before you quit if you don't feel it at first. It took me 3-4 hours before I got hooked. After a couple hours at my initial go, I put it down for a few months thinking this might not be for me. (I don't like games that are too open usually - like Oblivion, or Morrowind -- I couldn't get into either) My brother kept talking about how great it was so I gave it another shot. When it clicked, boy did it really click!

The game is so good I'd be afraid you'd mess up the experience with mods. I played it as the final package GoTY edition with both expansions around 2018. In my opinion, the only thing I might have wanted differently than what I got was a quick travel from anywhere mod, instead of having to visit sign posts, but then you would miss so much of the BEAUTIFULLY hand crafted world -- so even that I don't think I would do. A lot of what makes the game so great is the random wandering and fantastic side quests where the side quests that are fully optional are as good as most AAA games main quests. After I completed the game, I went back through and just wandered the game's countryside picking up side quests I'd missed. Such a good game!!!

Give it a few hours before you quit if you don't feel it at first. It took me 3-4 hours before I got hooked. After a couple hours at my initial go, I put it down for a few months thinking this might not be for me. (I don't like games that are too open usually - like Oblivion, or Morrowind -- I couldn't get into either) My brother kept talking about how great it was so I gave it another shot. When it clicked, boy did it really click!
Honestly, I wouldn't mod it for visuals or fast travel. I've played through twice now and don't regret not looking for mods.

Later in the game, when you reach Skellige, there is an option to purchase maps from a vendor for 200 gold that enable fast travel to other points on the islands. At the time, I happily purchased them, eager to reach the next quest. Later on though, I regretted not having had to travel the roads and open seas between the islands at least once.

Nah, the game is almost perfect as it is. And it is worth replaying. So you could always mod it the second time around if desired.

Last edited:
CD Projekt Red is coming out with a remaster edition at some point in the next year or two supposedly. It will be a free update for previous owners. I will definitely play through it again at that time. I went the sword path the first play through and really enjoyed it. Next play through I'll probably try concentration in alchemy. (unless I just do new game +)

https://thewitcher.com/en/news/32792/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-is-coming-to-the-next-generation
Better oil up, just in case..

Back