Windows XP x64 Edition and Games

Dan_D

Extremely [H]
Well I haven't been able to find too much on the subject. Everything I've found refers to the compatibility wizard which is a damn joke and worthless as nipples are on men.

Certain games won't install on XP 64bit even though XP 64Bit does 32Bit code fine. For example Doom 3's expansion pack won't install. It says its intended for XP/2000 only. Or some such nonsense. Anyone have any tips on this? I imagine that alot of Windows Server guys might have thoughts as Windows 2003 Server has alot of issues when trying to get games to install on it.

Any help would be appreciated. I do not want to go back to XP 32Bit as I would lose NUMA support by doing so. Which negates the purpose of having 4 identical 1GB DIMMs in my machine.

Hrmm, everything (Game, Program, Codecs, All Files) i have used in x64 have works flawless for me. The only thing I "needed" was 64 Bit Anti Virus and 64 Bit Drivers. Everything else works flawlessly under 32 bit mode

USMC2Hard4U said:
Hrmm, everything (Game, Program, Codecs, All Files) i have used in x64 have works flawless for me. The only thing I "needed" was 64 Bit Anti Virus and 64 Bit Drivers. Everything else works flawlessly under 32 bit mode

It's a problem with the installers of the games. The GTR Demo wouldn't run after installtion saying that the game is meant for Windows XP/2000 and the Expansion to Doom 3 wouldn't install. I've run into this problem with one or two other games, but generally speaking it works pretty good. I've got no other complaints about Windows XP Professional x64 Edition.

Not sure about WinXP64 but in WinXP there is that compatiblity option that you can change so it will fool the program into thinking they are on a different Windows version.

WinXP x64 does have a "compatibility" mode that lets you run 32-bit processes in a separate memory space. I've heard mixed reveiws about this getting 16-bit and 32-bit installers to work. your mileage may vary.

i've had problems with a few games, and found that it's the installer that is the problem. some of them identify windows differently and therefore see xp 64 bit as a different os. here is a quote from

another forum

eXtermia
07-05-2005, 04:58 PM
There is an issue in the LEGO Star Wars.msi. Actualy several applications have this same exact issue and weren't designed to recognize WindowsXp 64 and once the MSI is modified they work fine.

The LaunchCondition doesn't recognize XP 64 a quick fix is to remove the LaunchConditions with ORCA from the Microsoft Installer SDK (version 1.1)

The probelm is the MSI is missing the "AND NOT (VersionNT64>501)" After "AND (NOT VersionNT=500)" removal of the LaunchCondtition DataString (not the Launch Condition line itsself however) or modifying it to allow for the VersionNT64 will allow to install and run fine on Windows x64.

I am sure Edios can release a custom Installer patch that will bypass this issue or if the cds are ever remastered add the modified MSI into new pressed CDs.

However I do not work for Edios so I can not speak for them. I do know that this method however works but its at your own risk unless Edios decides to support that method in any matter or form.

svet-am said:
WinXP x64 does have a "compatibility" mode that lets you run 32-bit processes in a separate memory space. I've heard mixed reveiws about this getting 16-bit and 32-bit installers to work. your mileage may vary.

It's not a question of 16bit installers. The games all use 32bit installers as far as I know. The problem is Windows XP Professional x64 Edition gives a different version number back on a version check as it is a different OS than Windows XP Pro/Home are.

The 32Bit code execution is seamless and works fine. I've never had a problem running anything 32bit, just problems installing certain things. As far as using the compatibility wizard, all forms of XP and Server 2003 have this. However I have NEVER seen the damn thing work. I think its a plecebo designed to make you think you could run older software. Microsoft seems to have done that in order to make people feel good when getting away from DOS/Windows 9x. (Joking, but still I've never seen the piece of shit compatibility wizard work.)

Back