Windows Server licensing requirements for terminal server?

Hello I am in the process of configuring a terminal server and had a question on licensing that maybe you guys can straighten out for me. The terminal server will have a 16 core CPU and support up to 7 concurrent users. I was going to go with Windows Server 2008 R2 since I have experience with that version but looking at the licensing has me a bit confused. I see the standard version has a license for 1-4 CPUs and 5 CALs. Does this mean I would be limited to a 4 core cpu and only 5 concurrent users? What license would I need for my purposes?

The CALS that (used to) come with servers are just to cover Users/Devices authenticated against the server. RDS CALS are completely different and require their own configuration through the RDS (Terminal Services) licensing manager.

So is it possible to buy the standard server R2 license then buy the RDS licenses separately? Also whats the deal with those cpu requirements? seems silly to me when a windows 7 pro license works with an 8 core cpu... I have got to be misunderstanding that cpu limit.

I think they are talking about CPU sockets, not cores.

Correct.
Technically it isn't called terminal server any more. It's called Remote Desktop server. RDS licensing is different from the client licensing that comes with the OS. You'll need to purchase a RDS client license.

Back