Windows Server 2012 Essentials has gone RTM and is live on TechNet

TechLarry

RIP [H] Brother - June 1, 2022
Enjoy :)

Also, I earlier posted a link to a reported work-around for the connector software forcing workstations on the Domain.

Look that over as well if you intend on proceeding with this.

I have not tested this work-around yet, but probably will tonight.

Of course I waited to get my download before telling anyone LOL

Refresh me again on why you're so adamant about not allowing workstations to join the directory?

When I come across biz networks that have servers and workstations all in workgroup mode...I LOL at the "pizza tech" that set those up.

Refresh me again on why you're so adamant about not allowing workstations to join the directory?

When I come across biz networks that have servers and workstations all in workgroup mode...I LOL at the "pizza tech" that set those up.

Why would I want to add the complexity of ActiveDirectory to my home network?

I spend all day dealing with users with ActiveDirectory failures. I don't need or want it in my house :)

What is a pizza tech? Haven't heard that one.

Why would I want to add the complexity of ActiveDirectory to my home network?

I spend all day dealing with users with ActiveDirectory failures. I don't need or want it in my house :)

So...you want to use a "Server OS"....but you don't want server stuff? Begs the question...WTF you want "Server" for then?

Server, to me, is for....*cough*...business networks. SBS was for SMB.

Workgroup stuff...like tiny SMB without a server, or home...heck, FreeNAS or get a Synology or something non-true server OS.

What is a pizza tech? Haven't heard that one.

Computer techs that are budget, lacking in skill, use pirated software, install AVG free on everything, 45 bucks an hour cheapo work, do hacked butcher jobs. You see laughable network setups like Windows XP Home edition setup to a server.....or Windows Server in workgroup mode, kidnergarden crap like that.

You see laughable network setups like Windows XP Home edition setup to a server.....or Windows Server in workgroup mode, kidnergarden crap like that.

I've seen Home Edition on server setups before too. Also see more than 4GB RAM on 32 bit Server OS that was home built for an office on more than one occasion.

Ouch on the last part. Not done that myself but I've seen it too.

So...you want to use a "Server OS"....but you don't want server stuff? Begs the question...WTF you want "Server" for then?

Workgroup stuff...like tiny SMB without a server, or home...heck, FreeNAS or get a Synology or something non-true server OS.

Jesus. Did the Cat get neutered or something recently?

I just made the frickin' announcement so people would know it was there. If you don't want it, well, don't go after it :)

Microsoft got rid of Home Server, and are trying to get those poor lost souls to step up to Server Essentials. They ARE going to get more than a few poor suckers to buy into that, and end up with an AD setup they have no clue how to administer properly, if at all. I for one, am going to bookmark this link of TechLarry's because I'm sure someone I know will fall into this pitfall, and will come asking me how to fix it. So, thanks in advance Larry.

Well, the 'work-around' I posted a link to in an earlier thread did NOT work for me. It sucked my machine into the domain.

I simply took it back off and rebooted :)

Now, here's the thing. You have to watch the dialog boxes VERY carefully... At some point there will be the option NOT to migrate your data. It's important to check this if you are going to go right back to your local account/workgroup. If you don't, you are gonna have to re-migrate it back and you'll also end up with a username.workgroup user folder name.

So far no ill effects. Gonna start the first full backup shortly. If that work, I think all will be well. Ha !

Ok, a couple of updates...

1. Vipre AntiVirus installs and works beautifully. It even caught a couple of items as I was transferring them from the backup server to the ESS server.

2. Having a problem with backup. It's stopping at 2% and reporting a connectivity issue. Need to dig into that.

Another thing I've noticed is with the 2012 server stuff, log in's to the servers is not as "loose" as it used to be. You used to be able to log in as long as you knew the local account and password on the server.

Not any more.

Now you need to know either the domain or local server name and log in using them. For example, instead of just logging in as "UserName" I have to use Domain\UserName. I know this is normal for domains, but it's been extended to non-domain as well. You have to specify the local workgroup now as well.

For example localworkgroupname\username

This was really confusing until I figured it out :)

Even the old .\ trick doesn't work.

Ok, a couple of updates...

1. Vipre AntiVirus installs and works beautifully. It even caught a couple of items as I was transferring them from the backup server to the ESS server.

2. Having a problem with backup. It's stopping at 2% and reporting a connectivity issue. Need to dig into that.

Another thing I've noticed is with the 2012 server stuff, log in's to the servers is not as "loose" as it used to be. You used to be able to log in as long as you knew the local account and password on the server.

Not any more.

Now you need to know either the domain or local server name and log in using them. For example, instead of just logging in as "UserName" I have to use Domain\UserName. I know this is normal for domains, but it's been extended to non-domain as well. You have to specify the local workgroup now as well.

For example localworkgroupname\username

This was really confusing until I figured it out :)

Even the old .\ trick doesn't work.

Are you sure about the workgroup thing? I have never had that. I have a couple Server 2012 Standard boxes on a workgroup and don't have to do that.

If you have domain trusts and can pick from a domain to login, yes, unlike XP you have to type in the domain first. If it's a DC and you want to log in locally you have to login as servername\administrator.

Why aren't you using Forefront and/or MSE for antivirus? Forefront works fine on both 2012 Standard, Datacenter and Storage Server. Not sure is MSE will work on Essentials but if it doesn't Forefront should.

Are you sure about the workgroup thing? I have never had that. I have a couple Server 2012 Standard boxes on a workgroup and don't have to do that.

If you have domain trusts and can pick from a domain to login, yes, unlike XP you have to type in the domain first. If it's a DC and you want to log in locally you have to login as servername\administrator.

Yeah, it took me forever to get logged in to either server (Standard or ESS) until I figured this out.

To log into the ESS, since it is required to have a domain, I have to log in from a workstation using "Lab-SBS1\userID" To log into my non-domain Standard server I have to use "workgroupname\userID"

I even have to do that when logging into either server using RDC.

This is all early in the learning phase, so I may be missing something, but after hours of pulling my hair out this is what I've come up with so far.

Why aren't you using Forefront and/or MSE for antivirus? Forefront works fine on both 2012 Standard, Datacenter and Storage Server. Not sure is MSE will work on Essentials but if it doesn't Forefront should.

I am not a corporation my friend. This is my own lab at home that I learn and try things on :)

And I got a 3 year 10 user Vipre license so I may as well use it. MSE would not install on WHS2011 so I doubt it will install on 2012. Didn't really try.

Last edited:
Ok, now this I like a LOT.

Between updating to Server 2012 and replacing my Router with a new ASUS RT-AC66R, I am pretty much saturating the 1Gb Lan on file copies.

115 - 120MB/Sec. Those are the highest numbers I have ever seen in my house.

But Jesus does that Asus run hot LOL

I am not a corporation my friend. This is my own lab at home that I learn and try things on :)

And I got a 3 year 10 user Vipre license so I may as well use it. MSE would not install on WHS2011 so I doubt it will install on 2012. Didn't really try.

I'm a bit confused, you're using 2012 Essentials from technet, why wouldn't you grab Forefront Endpoint Protection at the same time? What does this have to do with being corporation, if you're testing the software, then use what's available for you for testing?

I'm a bit confused, you're using 2012 Essentials from technet, why wouldn't you grab Forefront Endpoint Protection at the same time? What does this have to do with being corporation, if you're testing the software, then use what's available for you for testing?

That's actually a good point. I'll look into it. Hadn't even considered it :)

Ok, there is an OFFICIAL document on how to install the connector software without joining the domain:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com...s/thread/aa40963c-7235-40f7-85f5-8f8d030a7c13

I'm pretty sure this is the same command I tried, and it joined anyway. I was pretty busy at the time and it's entirely possible an error of some sort was spit out and I didn't see it.

I will try again tonight.

I'm actually going to be starting from scratch tonight. I've decided that the old BadAxe-2 based system I've been using for my server for years is no longer up to the task. It is pretty sluggish under 2012 ESS.

I've also been wanting to update my i920 workstation.

So I'm going to move the i920 system to the server, retire the BadAxe, and move my i7 2600k Sandy Bridge gaming machine to workstation duty. I'll just use it for gaming as well.

It's gonna be a long night !

Might turn the old Badaxe into a NAS or something. I'll find something fun and interesting to do with it :)

Ok, halfway there :)

The workstation is all built up and everything loaded. Man, that old i920 P6T Deluxe was really holding back my SSD. This thing FLIES now !

I bit the bullet and installed Windows 8. Using Classic Shell I'm able to bypass all the ugly shit so it's not too bad. I do did the new file copy dialogs and task manager.

I've been up all night so it's time to take a break and crash for a while. Good thing I'm off today.

After I wake up, it's time to build up the new (ish) server with the leftover parts.

ZZZZzzzzzzzzz

I plan to move my WHS 2011 server to 2012 Essentials as well. Just like Larry said, I don't want to deal with my family's computers on a domain either. I'm not installing it in a business environement, so if the feature I want work without it then I see no problem.

Can you update the Winlogon registry key or the GPO with a default domain to avoid having to type it in all the time?

Microsoft got rid of Home Server, and are trying to get those poor lost souls to step up to Server Essentials. They ARE going to get more than a few poor suckers to buy into that,.

I realize MS will be end of lifing WHS.....but I disagree about Server 2012 Essentials being a replacement for WHS. WHS will be phased out very slowly...it will be OEM preinstalled for another several years minimum, and I think boxed still avail for at least another year.
Server 2012 Essentials is not a replacement for WHS...it's quoted as: "An ideal server for small businesses, Windows Server 2012 Essentials provides a powerful and flexible solution that helps protect your business data while allowing you to access the information you need from virtually anywhere using almost any device."
Source: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/server-cloud/windows-small-business-server/trial.aspx

Sometimes you see threads from people complaining that SBS2003 reboots every hour if it's not a domain controller, like they installed it in workgroup mode or are trying to use it as a workstation. Do searches for "sbcore service". Answer actually is "Maybe you got the wrong product for what you need?"

I plan to move my WHS 2011 server to 2012 Essentials as well. Just like Larry said, I don't want to deal with my family's computers on a domain either. I'm not installing it in a business environement, so if the feature I want work without it then I see no problem.

In the document I posted up a few it lists the things that will not be available. None of them matter to me and mostly deal with certificates and other things home users won't really miss.

The new server is up and running. The installation was, shall we say, interesting :)

Just for reference (and this is different than I originally planned), the hardware is as follows:

ASUS P8P67H-PRO/CSM Motherboard.
Core i5 2400
12GB RAM
Using built-in video.
PCP&C 750w Single-Rail PS
Six 1TB WD Green Drives

The MB has onboard 4 SATA II and two SATA III ports.

Server 2012 has a known problem installing on machines with a certain number of hard drives on a certain number of controllers. You will get an error saying "Windows cannot find or create a partition" or "Windows cannot install on this drive" error.

You need to unplug all drives except for the one getting the Server OS installation. Afterward you can plug them back in.

Also, if you had a pair of the drives pooled under the previous installation (as I did) make sure you unpool them before moving them to a new machine. If you don't, the drives will remain half-ass pooled under the new install and they link between them will be broken. You will also get some truly weird readings in Drive Manager. After the install I had to unpool them, reformat them, and re-pool them to fix this. Of course I had backups so none of this mattered.

Now, I was originally going to use my previous desktop i920 system (P6T Deluxe, i920) as the server replacement, but I changed my mind. Along with the ESS server, I also had the Server 2012 standard server. It's only purpose in life was for Hyper-V. Well, Windows 8 Pro, which I installed on the new Desktop, also has Hyper-V. That took away the need for the 2012 Standard Machine so I decided to use that hardware (as described above) instead of the i920 system. It is far more up to date.

I'll figure out something to use the i920 system for later.

I'm about to install the connector, and once again try it without going on the domain as described in the article above. Wish me luck :)

I realize MS will be end of lifing WHS.....but I disagree about Server 2012 Essentials being a replacement for WHS. WHS will be phased out very slowly...it will be OEM preinstalled for another several years minimum, and I think boxed still avail for at least another year.
Server 2012 Essentials is not a replacement for WHS...it's quoted as: "An ideal server for small businesses, Windows Server 2012 Essentials provides a powerful and flexible solution that helps protect your business data while allowing you to access the information you need from virtually anywhere using almost any device."
Source: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/server-cloud/windows-small-business-server/trial.aspx

Sometimes you see threads from people complaining that SBS2003 reboots every hour if it's not a domain controller, like they installed it in workgroup mode or are trying to use it as a workstation. Do searches for "sbcore service". Answer actually is "Maybe you got the wrong product for what you need?"

Microsoft, when asked directly, quotes Server 2012 Essentials AS the replacement for WHS. Is this a good idea? Of course not. But it is what it is.

Hot damn! It worked !

As indicated in the article, I ran the following in an admin CMD prompt"

reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Server\ClientDeployment" /v SkipDomainJoin /t REG_DWORD /d 1

I then brought up IE and went to "servername/connect" and installed the connector.

Not only did it leave my workgroup on the desktop alone, the installation took a mere 2 minutes and I didn't even have to reboot.

Success !

I think, maybe, the reason this didn't work when the Desktop was Windows 7 is I ran the reg change several days before I actually had ESS up and running to connect to. After that there were multiple reboots, windows update installs, etc... and it may have wiped out the reg key addition.

Whatever the reason, it worked like a champ this time.

Running initial backup now. THIS is the part that has to work right because it's the primary reason for this whole thing.

So far backup is running fine at 10% complete. It will take probably 6 hours to finish the initial backup.

I do wish MS would package WHS + WSUS + Forefront + RIPL in one easy package for the home user.

A home user wants:

Easy, safe, centralised storage with remote access.
Backup. Both of PCs and of the server itself.
Centralised updates to save on bandwidth. Updates automatically deployed.
Easy reinstallation when things go wrong. Either reinstall or restore from PXE/BIOS boot.

Backup still running good, at 21%.

I'm having an issue setting up remote web access though. Posting about that in a new thread.

I do wish MS would package WHS + WSUS + Forefront + RIPL in one easy package for the home user.

A home user wants:

Easy, safe, centralised storage with remote access.
Backup. Both of PCs and of the server itself.
Centralised updates to save on bandwidth. Updates automatically deployed.
Easy reinstallation when things go wrong. Either reinstall or restore from PXE/BIOS boot.

No, most home users do not want that, nor even know what half of it is. you are a minority believe it or not and if you want to do all of that, then you should be looking into the essentials server because your needs and wants are far above any home user.

No, most home users do not want that, nor even know what half of it is. you are a minority believe it or not and if you want to do all of that, then you should be looking into the essentials server because your needs and wants are far above any home user.

I beg to differ. Though only in part: user won't need to know the names of the parts, only that it provides the functions:

WSUS - 'Saves bandwidth and time!'
Forefront - 'Home network protection!'
PXE - 'Easy recovery, no CD required!'
etc.

Backup system completed successfully.

Last hurdle is getting Remote Web working. This is being a toughie...

Speak for yourself.

Ok, except for web services, which I'm sure is being caused by router issues in the RT-AC66R firmware, all is still good after a week.

Backups have been running properly every night since setup.

I still have not been able to find a spec to indicate whether it uses SIS though.

Blew up my workstation (Windows 8). About to find out if all this server stuff was worth the effort. Restore is in progress...

It worked :)

Bare-metal restore back to where I was at last nights 6pm backup.

Woohoo :)

Gonna have to agree with this guy. A home user SHOULD want all the things the other guy listed but most just couldn't care less.

Update bandwidth savings? Windows updates are like 100MB on a bad month, how many computers do you think most regular users have? Even if they have 5 that needs updates that's only 500MB, you think people want a server to help them save 400MB a month? If you're using a WSUS server with auto approvals then you're pretty well guaranteed to get a lot of extra updates you don't even need (32 bit updates when you only have 64 bit systems, or itanium updates for servers), which will further eat into those savings if not negate them completely or worse.

Easy reinstalls and backups? Regular users only reinstall whenever they manage to completely hose their systems to the point it's nonfunctional, so yeah when they get it to that point they'll wish they had an easier way to recover but not enough to do anything about it, they just call one of us to do the reinstall and hope for the best. Most don't even care enough about anything they lost to care about backups in the future.

As far as centralized storage if they cared about that they'd use some sort of cloud storage.

WE care about this stuff but regular folk like brothers/sisters/parents, not so much.

Back