Windows 7 Upgrade Deal

Is the $200 worth it for Windows 7 Pro? I dont want to install vista or xp first...ugh

Anyone jumping on the deal tonight?

last upgrade i used was win98. how have the modern upgrade OS's worked ? just require the cd key or the actual install. i wiped the backup partion on my laptop and it didn't come with a disk.

I've ordered 2 copies of home premium from amazon. The only worrisome thing is whether these upgrades will work with OEM copies of Vista and XP. Of course, I have until October to cancel my order so I'm not too worried. I also wouldn't mind knowing whether these upgrades include 32 and 64 bit versions.

Does anyone know if I can use a home/pro upgrade disk with XPhome/VistaUltimate licenses? I've only been able to find info on restrictions of the program to give free 7 disks to people who bought OEM systems.

Ordered the Pro upgrade. I'm going from XP.

I'm trusting that MS will have the upgrade process under control.

I've never heard good things about using these upgrades...

Its not really bad at all, usually you just have to insert an XP or other MS OS disc during the install to verify it is an upgrade, then it can just do a clean install like normal.

With vista, you had to have the OS installed and verified. If you read the the upgrade from XP to vista "Windows 7 will verify that the is a valid upgade OS (XP) and then reformat the harddrive for a clean install"

For Vista " Windows 7 will verify the valid upgrade OS (Vista) and proceed to upgrade to windows 7"

Since this Win 7 deal requires Win XP or Vista beforehand and since some folks upgraded to XP from a really old Windows, like 98, that means if one has to reformat and reinstall, he'd have to install Win 98, then Win XP, then Win 7. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Since this Win 7 deal requires Win XP or Vista beforehand and since some folks upgraded to XP from a really old Windows, like 98, that means if one has to reformat and reinstall, he'd have to install Win 98, then Win XP, then Win 7. :eek: :eek: :eek:

I think said people should just invest in a new budget computer.

Actually, no. Xp allowed you to just install the disc and then it wold do the upgrade after it verified the win 98 Full installion disc. So your path would be XP-> Win7, but you would need all three discs to pull it off.

Vista and up required you to have the OS installed and verified by microsoft.

I think said people should just invest in a new budget computer.
Easier said than done when many out of a job and have little expendable $. : \

Actually, no. Xp allowed you to just install the disc and then it wold do the upgrade after it verified the win 98 Full installion disc. So your path would be XP-> Win7, but you would need all three discs to pull it off.

Vista and up required you to have the OS installed and verified by microsoft.
I see. Well, if I go ahead w/ this Win 7 deal, I hope the upgrade path should be straightforward on my HTPC that I bought from Dell earlier this year that obviously came w/ Vista. I got the cheapest Vista Dell sold, which is 32-bit Home Basic. So just to get 64-bit Home Premium might be worth it alone, let alone getting the benefit of 7 vs. Vista.

Back