Windows 7 Pro and Windows 10 Pro Dual Boot System ???

Sneak

Limp Gawd
So I am going to add a new SSD. Not sure yet but either a 1 TB Samsung 860 EVO or Pro. Looks like the EVO might be the ticket. Though prices look to be dropping some and the EVO does have 1/2 the TBW's of the Pro. Probably not an issue. So on the comp I am dealing with, I built. It has Windows 7 Pro now. I am going to clone that original OS drive to the new SSD, then partition the drive it in half, and install Windows 10 Pro in the new partition. The copy of Windows 7 Pro is an OEM version. The copy of Windows 10 Pro will be a full retail version on a flash drive. I am doing that as I will be building a new comp after the first of the year. And I want to be able to move the Windows 10 Pro over to it. If you have any advice on the above I would love to hear it. Haven't done a Dual Boot before and have been digging into it. I read on here that it is best to disconnect all secondary drives before the Windows 10 install and boot. Is that true?

But here is the real question. When I build the new system which will be reasonably high end as I will game on it; if I just move that Dual Boot drive over to the new comp and turn it on what will happen? Is Microsoft going to want me to cancel the previous Windows 10 install before it will work on the new comp? Or will it boot just fine moving the drive over? Or is it best to just cancel the previous install and do a clean install on the new system ?

Secondly, what will Windows 7 Pro do on the new comp ? Windows 7 is basically retired by Microsoft. And mine is an OEM version tied to the old motherboard and processor. Is it too old to run a newer system or even advisable ? When I boot it will it run home to mama asking what to do? I do have some software that I still use that won't run on Windows 10.

If it matters, this current system is an Intel I7 CPU and an ASUS Motherboard. Have had good luck with ASUS so will be checking their new stuff. Intel as well.

Trying to get my head wrapped around all of this before I proceed so any help is appreciated.

if 10 is retail it wont care and will probably boot just fine. 7 might not work right and being oem will probably bitch about the change. then ms will tell you to pound sand. you can get a new key for a few bucks in the fs/t section.

Win10 can handle the hardware change, Win7 might but doubtful unless you prep the crap out of it first. I would do fresh installs on both, but be aware Win7 does not work on newer hardware (post Skylake/ Brsitol Ridge) without some tweaks.

I wouldn't bother with 7 at this point unless you have a very specific, unique reason to run it. If so, you can buy a license for a few bucks and virtualize it.

Thanks for the above replies. The only reason I am still using and may need to still use Windows 7 is some business software that won't run on Windows 10....supposedly! Once I get the dual boot up I will find out about that for sure. If it won't run (which I expect it won't) or I can't find a way to make it run; when I build the new one I guess I will buy a new Windows 7 key. Then it's try to find out what to tweak or install it in a virtual machine on the new hardware.

I have another option too. I have an older laptop with Windows 7. I could just use it for that software. Though for the work I would want a full size keyboard and another monitor cable so I could switch out inputs to use the bigger screen. I have everything to set up the dual boot. Should do it soon.

Consider virtualizing Windows. Windows7 is much safer to use within the containment of a virtual machine.

Why wouldn't it? Taco is genuinely curious since she runs windows 10 on 2008 hardware, one might speculate invert sine should be just as operational?
Not really. Once device driver support ends, future hardware will eventually stop working or work with limited capacity. Old hardware then again is often supported since the drivers already exist and Windows carries DOS era components still inside it (and the galore of 0-day vulnerabilities introduced with them).

Why wouldn't it? Taco is genuinely curious since she runs windows 10 on 2008 hardware, one might speculate invert sine should be just as operational?
Well I suppose it was a tactic to get people to switch to Win10. Since there is no reason other than not including a USB 3.0 native driver in the Win7 image for installing on systems with no legacy ports. Some motherboard manufacturers included a tool for download that could bypass the problem, essentially slipstreaming the needed driver into the Win7 image, others did not so you would have to do it manually. Or if you had PS/2 ports on the mobo and a KB that worked for PS/2, otherwise there was no way to advance the installer. This was long before the end of support for Win7 too, they intentionally decided to not support new hardware for Win7 users. That and no DX12 for Win7 forced many, including myself, to switch to Win10. Though in my case, I am sure MS would frown on what I did to the install before ever going online, ruining their data mining practice for at least one system.

Well I suppose it was a tactic to get people to switch to Win10. Since there is no reason other than not including a USB 3.0 native driver in the Win7 image for installing on systems with no legacy ports. Some motherboard manufacturers included a tool for download that could bypass the problem, essentially slipstreaming the needed driver into the Win7 image, others did not so you would have to do it manually. Or if you had PS/2 ports on the mobo and a KB that worked for PS/2, otherwise there was no way to advance the installer. This was long before the end of support for Win7 too, they intentionally decided to not support new hardware for Win7 users. That and no DX12 for Win7 forced many, including myself, to switch to Win10. Though in my case, I am sure MS would frown on what I did to the install before ever going online, ruining their data mining practice for at least one system.
You got fooled big time. DX11 and DX12 were just a big smokescreen. In reality a fraction of games can use them effectively and if you stop to think of it: games... really?
What is it, DX12 or are YOU 12?

That and no DX12 for Win7 forced many, including myself, to switch to Win10.

There was clearly no technical limitation. World of Warcraft can use DX12 on Windows 7 just fine, and if you can do it with World of Warcraft then I don't see any reason why other games could not have been made to work also.

You got fooled big time. DX11 and DX12 were just a big smokescreen. In reality a fraction of games can use them effectively and if you stop to think of it: games... really?
What is it, DX12 or are YOU 12?
Well I had to be on Win10 for NFS Heat. Are you trying to insult me for providing commentary and info? Are you still ion Win7?

There was clearly no technical limitation. World of Warcraft can use DX12 on Windows 7 just fine, and if you can do it with World of Warcraft then I don't see any reason why other games could not have been made to work also.
Yep. Again, MS forcing users to Win10 through their shady BS. What about all those forced auto "upgrades" through WU, and the nagware they installed?

You also have the option of installing Win10 on a completely separate drive and switch between which boots, by changing the BIOS boot order.

Back