Windows 7 and Motherboard Replacement

Roberty

Extremely [H]
I, like most here at the [H], like to change hardware frequently. Is there a version of Windows 7 (Full maybe?) that will allow me to make major changes to my system (such as a motherboard) without having to buy a new operating system as long as I only have it on one computer at a time? I know that the OEM and from what I can tell the upgrade versions "kick out" if you make a motherboard change. Will the full version allow for it?

Yep, the full retail version doesn't create such issues but, if you do enough reinstalls and activations, even the retail version will choke on activation at some point and your only recourse is a phone call to Microsoft to say you need a new key. The full retail EULA gives you the right to reinstall basically as much as you wish but even in spite of that, sooner or later a reinstall/activation will trip something at Microsoft and it'll make you make that phone call.

While frowned upon, it is possible to get an OEM System Builder edition from Newegg or some other reseller and use it, and when the time comes that you desire an upgrade of the major component - the mobo being the most crucial and the most directly tied to activation - you can make a call to Microsoft and simply say "My motherboard died because of <power surge, lightning strike, bad caps, insert excuse here> and I have to reinstall on a new installation, can I get a new key please" and they'll provide you with one without much fuss or muss.

Frowned upon, but done on a frequent enough basis that Microsoft doesn't really mind. They really don't expect people - most notably enthusiasts that go through hardware like Lady Gaga goes through clothing and hair changes - to go out and actually buy entirely new copies over and over.

It's not a big hassle as long as you do pay for that first legit copy. You're not ripping anyone off by asking for a new key in the method I just laid out - as soon as Microsoft asks you for the old key that won't activate, they will issue you a new one on the phone and the old one gets deactivated for future use, for a random period of time so people won't immediately do this in the hopes of getting to use 2 or more keys at the same time. Doesn't work quite that way. :)

But after a few months, the original key may be valid again for an install, at least that's what I've heard reported.

Back