Windows 11 Will Soon Block All Default Browser Workarounds

The Intel AX200 line of Wi-Fi 6 PCIe cards have built-in kernel support, and are some of the fastest Wi-Fi you can buy today. It works fine, I've tried a few models.

Also, my motherboard Wi-Fi 6 also works perfectly out-of-box, not sure why a USB adapter is even needed unless you have some old computer and can't spare a PCIe slot.
Oh, so now the average person needs to know how to upgrade their pc for desktop Linux use too! So easy...

Ah, the typical "git gud, noob" Linux snob attitude comes out, coupled with no suggestion for an actual part that would work. Nice. Meanwhile I'm looking at Micro Center's category listing and not seeing a single one yet that supports Linux. I bet Best Buy will have similar results.

Edit: so far I've seen Asus, Linksys, Trendnet, Tenda, TP-Link, and Netgear models, none of which list Linux.
Because they all use the same cheap shit Realtek chipsets, so the assumption can be: Realtek = Spotty support at best via reverse engineered Windows drivers because Realtek don't support Linux. There's no snobbery implied at all - That's the reality of the situation. As for your 'top seller on Amazon' argument...Well, that just highlights my point about Realtek chipsets being cheap shit.

I've owned two Mac's in my time, a 2012 Mac Mini and a 2012 MacBook. The WiFi card the Mac Mini shipped with would randomly just stop working, while the WiFi card the MacBook shipped with was about four times faster under Windows via Bootcamp than it was under MacOS on the exact same device...

So, as can be assumed, driver issues exist under all operating systems - Linux is no exception here and nether is Windows 10.

Last edited:
Oh, so now the average person needs to know how to upgrade their pc for desktop Linux use too! So easy...
Which isn't even remotely on the same scale as Apple users that all of a sudden can't run Nvidia hardware. Do you have any idea just how many people out there are running Microsoft printer drivers, which are far from ideal, because the manufacturer of their not so old printer don't support the current build of Windows 10 anymore using their proprietary drivers? I do, because I'm the one that has to organize the replacement printer. With the advent of Windows 11, the situation won't be getting any better.

As for your comments regarding MS Office, MS Office is the world's least compatible with open ISO standards office suite marketed as the most compatible, I don't use MS Office even under Windows and compatibility issues exist between differing versions of Microsoft Office itself. The vast majority of users have no need for either Photoshop or MS Office. When it comes to Photoshop, it could be quite honestly stated that unless average users are running old pirated versions of the software; they'd probably be better off with GIMP considering their simplistic needs vs the ongoing cost of the software.

A vast number of companies I work with these days actually use Google Workplace apps, they seem to be doing just fine.

Last edited:
What, you literally do not have a spare PCIe slot?
I already had several wifi adapters. And that suggestion's a non-starter for people who don't work on their own computers.

Linux evangelists: "Linux can do everything Windows can, except for the stuff it can't."

I like Linux. I've used it for years. Linux evangelists are the single most offputting aspect of it.

Which isn't even remotely on the same scale as Apple users that all of a sudden can't run Nvidia hardware.
I thought we were talking about Linux. Now you're moving goalposts, although the point is noted, and I don't disagree.

I thought we were talking about Linux. Now you're moving goalposts, although the point is noted, and I don't disagree.
i thought the thread was about windows...

1637513583517.png

i thought the thread was about windows...
It was. Someone brought up Linux, and I was talking about that. Jumping to complain about Apple to defend Linux, if that's what was going on, doesn't seem like much of a defense of Linux.

To try to get back on topic, it does seem like the original title was clickbaity, but whatever.

I already had several wifi adapters. And that suggestion's a non-starter for people who don't work on their own computers.

Linux evangelists: "Linux can do everything Windows can, except for the stuff it can't."

I like Linux. I've used it for years. Linux evangelists are the single most offputting aspect of it.

Evangelists? Ok dude, if you say so, guess all I us computer users of the 1990's were evangelists too.

The thread is about Microsoft's illegal and anti-competitive and anti-consumer behavior, which naturally leads to talk about free systems that don't have these problems.
Please point anything out of the norm you see. I see nothing like that here. Just lots of Linux evangelists who can't resist crapping on a windows thread as usual.

What would you call someone who responds to a criticism of Linux with "well, everything will be fine if you just spend a bunch of money on workarounds"?

What workaround? Buying a proper PCIe Wireless card is a work around? Nah, I call it someone with a modicum of commonsense and dealing with things as they are. I have been an IT pro for 22 years and as far as I can remember, even with Windows, a USB wireless device is going to be a challenge for a non tech savvy user to get it working so.......

*Shrug* It is 2021, do with whatever you want anyway you want, do not really care if you agree or disagree and no, just because I responded does not mean I care, that would be 2nd grade logic.

when you install FF and it ask to set to default, everything but this one is changed automatically, for now. chrome doesnt have an automatic set as default like FF, it pulls up windows settings and you have to manually do it(PITA). since FF can do most they should be able to do the last one and chrome could incorporate it but havent for some reason. it was silly that the remove the one click setting from 10. maybe theres enough noise that they might change back.
Yep. I've noticed that, exactly. Glad I am still on W10 for both of my PC's. Laptops are both on 11..... it's sort of OK, just irritants like this one.

People do realize that a number of Realtek devices will most likely work under Linux due to the dedication of the community reverse engineering Realtek's Windows drivers, the thing is: They're not 'ideal' and there are better alternatives by the likes of Intel for not much more money.

Even under Windows, USB WiFi dongles are hit and miss at best.

People do realize that a number of Realtek devices will most likely work under Linux due to the dedication of the community reverse engineering Realtek's Windows drivers, the thing is: They're not 'ideal' and there are better alternatives by the likes of Intel for not much more money.

Agreed. This is the wrong hill to die on. It’s 2021; PCIE ones are cheap and many motherboards and prebuilt come with them already installed.

Realtek also has surprisingly good Linux drivers for their NIC chipsets as well, so if the driver isn't including in the kernel, they have installers for said chipsets.
The Realtek in 2021 is not the same Realtek from 2000, and OS driver support has improved dramatically.

Also, the Realtek 8111C wired NIC is surprisingly reliable, and while not as feature-rich as Intel or Broadcom, it will get the job done in a pinch for everything outside of enterprise workloads.

Realtek also has surprisingly good Linux drivers for their NIC chipsets as well, so if the driver isn't including in the kernel, they have installers for said chipsets.
The Realtek in 2021 is not the same Realtek from 2000, and OS driver support has improved dramatically.

Also, the Realtek 8111C wired NIC is surprisingly reliable, and while not as feature-rich as Intel or Broadcom, it will get the job done in a pinch for everything outside of enterprise workloads.
Looks like Realtek might be pulling their finger out, this can only be good news.(y)

The thread is about Microsoft's illegal and anti-competitive and anti-consumer behavior, which naturally leads to talk about free systems that don't have these problems.

Taking reports from a dubious website at face value without doing actual research is a disservice not only to oneself but to the community as a whole when the info is passed on.

I can change the default browser perfectly fine and do not believe this'll change with future updates.

Related to the thread title, there are already new Edge-Deflector style programs that get around the newer restrictions. MSEdgeRedirect is one that popped up last week. It's still an annoyance, but at least there are ways around it. With all of the quirks in Windows 11, I'd say this is pretty low on my personal list.

Taking reports from a dubious website at face value without doing actual research is a disservice not only to oneself but to the community as a whole when the info is passed on.

I can change the default browser perfectly fine and do not believe this'll change with future updates.
Actually, I don't care about the OP article and realize it was bogus. I was already aware of Edge Deflector and the issue before seeing this thread.

And I agree that in itself is not a huge deal. But changing the default browser in Win 11 is a pain in the butt, there are like 15 or 20 menus you have to click for every single type of HTML document which is purposefully obtuse.

Another reason to move to a Mac. Keep a PC around only if you want to play games as a hobbyist.

A mostly non upgradeable locked down computer that costs more than most? Nah, I will build my own computers and stick with Linux, thanks anyways.
Non-upgradeable is perfectly fine if you aren't gaming.

Windows is missing too many Apple applications. I can't wait to have iMessage, Apple TV, and FaceTime on my computer. Not to mention having files and applications work seamlessly between your phone and computer.

Windows is missing too many Apple applications. I can't wait to have iMessage, Apple TV, and FaceTime on my computer. Not to mention having files and applications work seamlessly between your phone and computer.

That is your personal preference but for myself, no, non-upgradeable is never fine for me.

As much as I don't like Apple as a company, I have to admit their new laptops with the M1 chip blow Intel out the water. They are expensive, but definitely really good for designers or programmers.

Personally I would just never buy Apple on principle. I want to have freedom on my computer, swap out hardware, install whatever I want. And I don't like Microsoft either, but at least the hardware on Windows is open.

Files and apps work fine in the enterprise and never touch apples tools. Because they all use Microsoft. OneDrive, teams, etc. Apple tools are a bloody joke.

Not the hill to try and die on. I’m an Apple user all the way, but outside of iOS, and MacOS, it ain’t the software of theirs that enables the enterprise.

That is your personal preference but for myself, no, non-upgradeable is never fine for me.
I haven’t upgraded a laptop since… 2005? It’s a laptop. order what you need. By the time it needs upgrading the platform is done. Drive capacity I could maybe see there; M2 is easy and yeah, Apple should have added that, but ram and the rest? Meh.

I haven’t upgraded a laptop since… 2005? It’s a laptop. order what you need. By the time it needs upgrading the platform is done. Drive capacity I could maybe see there; M2 is easy and yeah, Apple should have added that, but ram and the rest? Meh.
I just keep my active projects on the laptop and required tools. Past projects get moved to storage where it can live until it needs to be referenced or modified.

I can’t remember the last time I upgraded a laptop or desktop since SSD’s became the standard across the fleet.

I like the idea that I can upgrade if I need to, but by the time I’m going to need more Ram my GPU likely needs to go too, and then I’ll need a new CPU to keep up with the GPU quite probably and at that point there isn’t a whole lot of original system left. Easier to sell a complete functioning system than parts around here so might as well replace the whole rig at that point.

I just keep my active projects on the laptop and required tools. Past projects get moved to storage where it can live until it needs to be referenced or modified.

I can’t remember the last time I upgraded a laptop or desktop since SSD’s became the standard across the fleet.

I like the idea that I can upgrade if I need to, but by the time I’m going to need more Ram my GPU likely needs to go too, and then I’ll need a new CPU to keep up with the GPU quite probably and at that point there isn’t a whole lot of original system left. Easier to sell a complete functioning system than parts around here so might as well replace the whole rig at that point.
That's been my thinking for most users. There are definitely some who can rationalize upgrading GPUs and other components in the middle of a system's lifespan, but the practical benefit often isn't there. Now, you could argue that a company like Apple is charging a high markup to equip your system the way you like it, but it's being realistic in that many people won't touch the insides for the life of the system.

Files and apps work fine in the enterprise and never touch apples tools. Because they all use Microsoft. OneDrive, teams, etc. Apple tools are a bloody joke.

Not the hill to try and die on. I’m an Apple user all the way, but outside of iOS, and MacOS, it ain’t the software of theirs that enables the enterprise.
I would still use Office on a Mac.

If I wasn't a gamer I'd probably rock a Macbook Pro as my lone computer. For normal stuff like Adobe CC, Office, web browsing, etc. they're quick as hell and I like the stylized look that Apple has embraced.

More reason to consider a move to Linux if able and (no matter what OS) use free/libre open source software whenever possible. There's a lot more to it, but I'm tired of watching the temperature being turned up under user autonomy, data sovereignty, security, privacy and choice like so many slow-boiling frogs.

And I do not own a laptop so......

What workaround? Buying a proper PCIe Wireless card is a work around? Nah, I call it someone with a modicum of commonsense and dealing with things as they are. I have been an IT pro for 22 years and as far as I can remember, even with Windows, a USB wireless device is going to be a challenge for a non tech savvy user to get it working so.......

*Shrug* It is 2021, do with whatever you want anyway you want, do not really care if you agree or disagree and no, just because I responded does not mean I care, that would be 2nd grade logic.
What are you talking about? Wireless has been working fine in linux for over nearly a decade. You'll get more stuff working out of the box with Linux than Windows. This is more of an issue with older laptops running Core2Duo's or older where you need to install Broadcom drivers like firmware-b43-installer.

Another reason to move to a Mac. Keep a PC around only if you want to play games as a hobbyist.
I'm not about to use something inferior because Microsoft is a greedy asshole. Linux is the way to go.
Windows is missing too many Apple applications.
You know who's fault that is?
I can't wait to have iMessage, Apple TV, and FaceTime on my computer.
no-thanks-im-good-37131843.png

Not to mention having files and applications work seamlessly between your phone and computer.
I'm not sure what you mean but my Android phones works nicely with my PC. I can file transfer all day long without issues.

Back