Windows 11 reveal coming June 24th

https://blogs.windows.com/windows-i...ncing-windows-11-insider-preview-build-25136/

MS is finally rolling out a tabbed file explorer after all these years. You'd think with all of the requests (and 3rd party mods) this would have come sooner.
Unfortunately, based on the build (25136) this won't see wide release for a while.

Are people actually using the Windows 11 widgets? I've tried, but they're just too limited in scope to be anything more than a glorified equivalent of the Yahoo homepage.

Are people actually using the Windows 11 widgets? I've tried, but they're just too limited in scope to be anything more than a glorified equivalent of the Yahoo homepage.

nah windows vista, i'm good thanks, take your widgets and leave 👋

MS is finally rolling out a tabbed file explorer after all these years.

Maybe one day they will add tabs to the settings page also... It's become a huge pet peeve of mine that I can't view more than one page in Settings at the same time. Like for example, i'll be downloading windows updates, keeping that on a secondary monitor to keep an eye on it. Then I'll do something else like open up display settings, network settings, etc, and it will simply hijack the window that I have open for Windows Update instead of opening a new settings window :rolleyes:

Seems MS is finally rolling out the 22H2 update today. Surprisingly, they've also mentioned that some of the updates that hit the beta channels (like tabs in File Explorer) will be hitting via an optional update in October, too. Windows 11 is never going to be for everyone, but I do think this update fixed the vast majority of my gripes. I still want Google Play access, though. That Amazon Store nonsense just doesn't cut it.

very underwhelming update for a supposedly major release...and they didn't even include everything...here's the full list of upcoming Windows 11 updates set for October:

-Enhancements to File Explorer, including bringing tabs to File Explorer to help you organize your File Explorer sessions like you do in Microsoft Edge. The new homepage in File Explorer gives you quick access to your favorite and recent files, you can pin important files for quick and easy access—even including information at a glance of colleagues’ actions on your shared files through the power of OneDrive and personalized suggestions based on your Microsoft 365 account

-Photos app: In an update to the Photos app in Windows 11, we will be introducing a new photos-managing experience that brings a gorgeous gallery, simplifying browsing, finding, management and consumption of your collection of photos. It also allows you to easily backup your photos with OneDrive, enjoy powerful experiences on Windows devices and offers a delightful "Memories" experience

-Suggested Actions on Copy: Copy phone numbers, future dates and get suggested actions such as making a call with Teams or Skype or adding an event in the Calendar app

-Taskbar Overflow: Taskbar will offer an entry point to an overflow menu that allows you to view all your overflowed apps in one space

-Share to more devices: Discover and share to more devices including desktops using nearby share

I'm getting really tired of the UI changes within major releases. Now the volume is different, disk cleanup moved, etc. Leave that shit the same until you move to Windows 12, so on..

I'm getting really tired of the UI changes within major releases. Now the volume is different, disk cleanup moved, etc. Leave that shit the same until you move to Windows 12, so on.
Microsoft really just can't help itself. It cannot get out of the rut that every other Windows is to be avoided. Its uncanny. Yes, yes, I know plenty people use 11 because of Alder Lake and because it's the "newest". But it is a "good" OS? That's very arguable.

I'm sticking with W10...the only thing that'll get me to switch at this point is if DirectStorage benchmarks show a noticeable improvement in load times

Seems MS is finally rolling out the 22H2 update today. Surprisingly, they've also mentioned that some of the updates that hit the beta channels (like tabs in File Explorer) will be hitting via an optional update in October, too. Windows 11 is never going to be for everyone, but I do think this update fixed the vast majority of my gripes. I still want Google Play access, though. That Amazon Store nonsense just doesn't cut it.
nothing yet for me, I'm still on 21H2 Windows 11 home
there was some KB update, but not 22
I'm waiting for that 22H2 to try installing the strix soar sound card again, because with the 21H2 it's terrible, it doesn't work at all.

Installed the Win 11 22H2 update on my other computer today. Seems like everything went well EXCEPT it unregistered my computer from teamviewer. That was Fing annoying. Otherwise, the new task manager seems more informative and the theme is dark.

It has been on MVLS since at least last Friday. I upgraded my machine on Saturday and have not had any issues...YET. I am waiting for the new graphics drivers to come out tomorrow since the 22nd is the official release day.

Maybe they include Image previews in folders finally when you do icon view..., after some moron at MS decided to remove it? Like what tool literally decided that was a good idea?

"Okay, so for people who have tons of folders with pics in them, lets just remove that folder image preview when you do icon / large / extra large view, sure photographers and such will love that decision, derp derp"

Maybe they include Image previews in folders finally when you do icon view..., after some moron at MS decided to remove it? Like what tool literally decided that was a good idea?

"Okay, so for people who have tons of folders with pics in them, lets just remove that folder image preview when you do icon / large / extra large view, sure photographers and such will love that decision, derp derp"
like this? (medium icon setting)

1663802652673.png

edit: ive been on insider 22h2 for a while.

like this? (medium icon setting)

View attachment 512471
edit: ive been on insider 22h2 for a while.
Nope,
On the actual folder icon, actual picture thumbnails work fine.
But if you have a folder, with pictures sorted into folders, and in that window, go to Icons / Extra large et cetera (and yes, have thumbnails enabled) you dont get any preview on the folder. Entire thread on MS site going on about it and it was added back in one of the releases previews, to eventually be put back into Win 11. cause some tool though it good to remove it.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-windows/724d1004-0893-48de-a345-e721cf32edd2

1663823224575.png

Nope,
On the actual folder icon, actual picture thumbnails work fine.
But if you have a folder, with pictures sorted into folders, and in that window, go to Icons / Extra large et cetera (and yes, have thumbnails enabled) you dont get any preview on the folder. Entire thread on MS site going on about it and it was added back in one of the releases previews, to eventually be put back into Win 11. cause some tool though it good to remove it.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-windows/724d1004-0893-48de-a345-e721cf32edd2

View attachment 512547
ah, it looks like this now. at least on the version im on...
1663848186234.png

1663848311044.png

22H2 brings back folders having an icon from whatever your last (based on whatever sort you're using) photo is. IMO a better solution is just to change your folder icon to the exact photo you want, but if you dig the folders showing one of your photos they now do.

And as predicted, the graphics card companies have updated their drivers for the W112H22 version.

22H2 brings back folders having an icon from whatever your last (based on whatever sort you're using) photo is. IMO a better solution is just to change your folder icon to the exact photo you want, but if you dig the folders showing one of your photos they now do.
Good to know, and for me, going and manually setting a picture for every folder would take me a very long time, I have thousands of pictures from the last 20 years all sorted by year then month then day, let the OS do it, like it always has up until MS made another stupid decision.

Good to know, and for me, going and manually setting a picture for every folder would take me a very long time, I have thousands of pictures from the last 20 years all sorted by year then month then day, let the OS do it, like it always has up until MS made another stupid decision.

I have the same setup. I have pretty much every digital photo I've taken since the late 90's sorted by folders named after the year they were taken. I used a program to rename them all based on the date they were taken, too. That way they sort properly on both Google and Apple platforms. I made each folder's icon a random photo that kinda tells the tale of that year and it works pretty well. Ever since Windows 8, Windows randomly kills off all your thumbnails every 90 days unless you make some registry edits. This bypasses that, although I disabled the automatic thumb cache deletion in the registry anyway.

Some users of Nvidia's GeForce graphics cards are noticing severe performance issues after installing the Windows 11 2022 Update (aka Windows 11 22H2) that Microsoft released to the public earlier this week...affected users have experienced stuttering, inconsistent framerates, and slowdowns, even on fast PCs with modern components

Nvidia says the problem is caused by some new Windows graphics debugging features that are enabled by mistake...the company publicly acknowledged the issue and released a new beta version of the GeForce Experience software package that it says should fix the slowdown...

https://twitter.com/nvidiacc/status/1573411300880908289

Last edited:
Some users of Nvidia's GeForce graphics cards are noticing severe performance issues after installing the Windows 11 2022 Update (aka Windows 11 22H2) that Microsoft released to the public earlier this week...affected users have experience stuttering, inconsistent framerates, and slowdowns, even on fast PCs with modern components

Nvidia says the problem is caused by some new Windows graphics debugging features that are enabled by mistake...the company publicly acknowledged the issue and released a new beta version of the GeForce Experience software package that it says should fix the slowdown...

https://twitter.com/nvidiacc/status/1573411300880908289

I bet it's related to the overlay. I've been running 22H2 sans any issues across 3 different driver versions. Yet one of the first things I always do after a driver install is to disable Nvidia's overlay in GeForce experience. Honestly, I'm not even sure why I have GeForce experience installed at all. I don't think I've ever used anything in it.

is there a point to installing the experience part? i always skip it....

Other than the in-game overlay, it has a custom image scaling and sharpening feature. I've never used it, but it's in there. That could possibly also be a duplication of some of the settings in the Nvidia control panel, too? It also alerts you when a new driver is available.

The main thing that I use Geforce Experience for is recording video in-game. Basically the same thing I used to use Fraps for, but when done through Geforce experience, there is basically zero performance reduction while recording.

ah so its like all the extra crap in the radeon software that you CANT turn off.

Anyone know if there is a way to disable/remove the windows 11 prompts under Update from Windows 10 devices that are not compatible?

Back