Windows 11 license for new custom PC

• Thread starter Deleted member 289973
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 289973

Hey everyone,
I'm in the initial stages of designing a custom PC to build, this will be my second custom build. The PC will be used primarily for gaming/streaming and other everyday basics (web surfing, office, etc.)
I plan on using Windows 11 as my OS, and I know of the special hardware requirements so I will make sure all components are compatible. What I'm not sure of is whether I should do a direct install of 11 and purchase a license from Microsoft, or buy a copy of 10 and then try to manually update to 11. I have found no information so far on how much a license would cost, but I know it could easily be $100+ if it's anything like past versions. The other thing I wonder is some sites that sell Windows 10 product keys for very low cost ($10-20) - if they're legitimate or if something's up with that, and even if they are legitimate, if Microsoft will honor the key if I tried to do a manual upgrade or fresh install of 11. I'm honestly not so familiar with how Windows licenses work these days - haven't really dealt with licenses or product keys since the days of Windows 7, except for my first custom PC build which had a physical Windows 10 bootable installer with the key.
I'm hoping someone could give me some guidance on this topic. And in case anyone thought to suggest - just a disclaimer, no, I am not really interested in sticking with Windows 10 for now.
Thanks for your time and I look forward to receiving some useful feedback.

if building new, make sure it has tpm, ryzen has it built in. 7/8/10 keys will install the corresponding version of 11. if you have an oem key from any of the versions you can use those too BUT they will lock to that hardware. no, cheap keys are not legit but they work and ms generally does not care.

I am building new. Let me make sure I understand, I need to get a CPU with TPM 2.0 available and enable it in the BIOS, correct? I also read that first-gen Ryzen are not compatible, but I suppose sticking with any of their newest ones would be fine. I'm looking primarily at a 5 series (haven't decided exactly which one yet) or intel i5 if I go that route. Believe it or not, I have no horse in the race for intel or AMD and I have little more than the most basic understanding of CPUs.
Any specific motherboard requirements, other than of course making sure it's compatible with the processor I choose and having a way to connect it to the internet? I'm pretty sure just about anything you buy today supports UEFI secure boot. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I am building new. Let me make sure I understand, I need to get a CPU with TPM 2.0 available and enable it in the BIOS, correct? I also read that first-gen Ryzen are not compatible, but I suppose sticking with any of their newest ones would be fine. I'm looking primarily at a 5 series (haven't decided exactly which one yet) or intel i5 if I go that route. Believe it or not, I have no horse in the race for intel or AMD and I have little more than the most basic understanding of CPUs.
Any specific motherboard requirements, other than of course making sure it's compatible with the processor I choose and having a way to connect it to the internet? I'm pretty sure just about anything you buy today supports UEFI secure boot. Correct me if I'm wrong.
to be fully compliant, yes 2.0. all 2000 and higher ryzens have it and i think the last couple gen intel have it in bios. yeah all new boards are uefi with legacy support optional and have secure boot.

Back