Windows 11 leak reveals new UI, Start menu, and more (UPDATE - added source for Windows 10 retirement date)

I like Linus well enough, but c'mon... There was less substance than usual even for him.

My thoughts as I watched the video:

He starts off the video implying that Microsoft saying Vista was going to be a good gaming OS was some sort of lie. Vista 64-bit was better than XP, much better, unless your computer was trash. Vista 64 was basically Windows 7.

Why is he not running the latest build of Windows 11 yet despite the video having been released yesterday?

He says that Windows 11 forces people to use a Microsoft account? Somehow I have not been forced to use a Microsoft account on any of the computers where I'm running the beta. I guess clicking "Domain join" or whatever is confusing for some people - even people who make videos.

Oh no, a 20 year old game is getting 500fps instead of 600fps because of enhancements made for modern games.

At least he gives credit for HDR enhancements.

My thoughts as I watched the video:

He starts off the video implying that Microsoft saying Vista was going to be a good gaming OS was some sort of lie. Vista 64-bit was better than XP, much better, unless your computer was trash. Vista 64 was basically Windows 7.

Why is he not running the latest build of Windows 11 yet despite the video having been released yesterday?

He says that Windows 11 forces people to use a Microsoft account? Somehow I have not been forced to use a Microsoft account on any of the computers where I'm running the beta. I guess clicking "Domain join" or whatever is confusing for some people - even people who make videos.

Oh no, a 20 year old game is getting 500fps instead of 600fps because of enhancements made for modern games.

At least he gives credit for HDR enhancements.

Are you using Pro version? IIRC Pro version can make a local account but with Home version you need a MS account.

I've used Directory Opus file manager instead of windows explorer since at least windows XP days. There are some other 3rd party ones of course but window's file manager can't compare.

I use displayfusion multi-monitor app with it's own taskbars and duplicated system tray on them which I set to very narrow at the top of my side screens. I hide the windows task bar on my primary oled monitor using a hot key show/hide toggle in an app called taskbar hider. (I could also drag the windows taskbar off of the primary monitor to the top of one of my side monitors if I wanted to).

I use displayfusion functions tied to streamdeck lcd buttons with icons to launch and place all of my most used apps, and to open commonly used windows system panels, etc. It also places the active window wherever I want using streamdeck buttons + hotkeys with LCD buttons outlining window placement locations something like windows 11 is doing (but better imo). I cobbled together some neat multi functions for my most used apps on multiple-presses of the same app button to launch/minimize/restore-to-my-set-home-position-for-that-particular-app. Finally, I have saved window position profiles in displafusion hotkeyed to streamdeck button(s) so I can hit one button and shuffle all of my open apps at once back to where I had saved them in that profile. One single press. I also have a pair of on the fly save/restore positions buttons next to that one.

I can use windows + S key to open search at any time and type the first 2 or three letters of anything which almost always picks up what I want, and then hit enter if it's anything I for some reason don't have mapped to my stream deck.

I use a small usb midi controller with some easy to use software in order to map all of my most used app's audio to sliders and some games to some control knobs. That way I don't have to invoke the global windows system volume overlay (which drops games out of hdr metadata/mode).

--------------------------------------------------

So I don't need windows taskbar at all anymore. All of the windows 11 taskbar, window placement, and windows file manager stuff is pretty useless to me. If anything, they just have potential to break some of my functionality at first until my apps catch up with updates.

The only thing I see so far that I would be interested in i n windows 11 is the fake HDR (more like ~ " SDR+ ") that windows 11 is implementing. I've been using Reshade with fakeHDR filter and lightroom filter to attempt something similar with a decent end result on my LG CX OLED, for example with darksiders3 after some tweaking of the filters. However I have to do it on a per game basis. It would be nice if windows can do it automatically for any game, especially if it maps the highlights into actual HDR metadata which would probably end up looking better. Really, they could probably update windows 10 to do this too though.. :rolleyes:

TorKVL

What I was also hoping for was that they would make HDR metadata mode switching more seamless. Right now opening a HDR game is very clunky with a mode switch almost like switching resolution. The windows global volume overlay also breaks out of that mode and back to desktop mode every time you adjust the global system volume. This also happens when app notifications pop up or if you alt-tab. It also happens with G-sync compatible VRR mode enabling/dropping-out with pop up notification overlays on LG OLEDs.

Last edited:
Back