Windows 11 Home Antivirus Software Needed?

dpriest

Limp Gawd
I just bought a Windows 11 Home HP laptop for my father in-law. I installed Webroot SecureAnywhere which I have on my rig which has Windows 10. A friend told me he believes Windows 11 Home has Bit locker and Windows Defender is further advanced which will protect the system from ransomware, viruses, etc. without the need for anything else. Wanted advice on this please.

yes, it has built in a/v and bitlocker on pro and up. you dont really need anything else unless you torrent...

yes, it has built in a/v and bitlocker on pro and up. you dont really need anything else unless you torrent...
He is definitely not going to torrent but this is Windows 11 Home, not Pro. Should he still be fine if I uninstall Webroot?

He is definitely not going to torrent but this is Windows 11 Home, not Pro. Should he still be fine if I uninstall Webroot?
yeah defender is plenty now. bitlocker could help with ransomware i guess, but its usually for protecting sensitive or business data.

Since Windows 8, Microsoft has included AV with Windows. You don't need to buy anything.

Thanks for the feedback. Can't imagine MacAfee and Norton are happy about this. It's about time Microsoft defended their own operating system.

Thanks for the feedback. Can't imagine MacAfee and Norton are happy about this. It's about time Microsoft defended their own operating system.
Considering companies sued Microsoft succesfully in the past for including programs with Windows (like web browsers), I'm surprised they haven't tried again because of AV.

The boot scan from AVG or Avast antivirus is successful in finding a few nasty Possibly Unwanted Programs. The free version available to boot scan will most
likely find something. Norton & Mcafee usually does not find a thing. To clear your throat, AdwCleaner.exe. Before Malwarebytes made it a Malwarebytes brand it was very effective. You could be on the Interneat with an ARAB search string in your browser. Another universe where the phone company and all legitimate companies go bad with ringing bells and red banners. You could be on the Interneat for years and no one tells you.

Bitlocker won't do anything in relation to the common scams doing the rounds. If the PC is logged in at the desktop, the scammer still has full access via remote access tools that the user installs thinking the scammer is 'cleaning their PC of a virus that's been discovered' and 'creating a honeypot for the apparent hackers'.

In fact, if the user hasn't recorded their encryption key, there's nothing stopping the scammers from accessing their Microsoft account. The scammers will have full access to backup email accounts via remote access tools the user willingly installed, therefore they're able to change the password and secret questions regarding the user's Microsoft account. Getting hold of anyone at Microsoft to recover a lost personal account is as easy as growing pine trees on Mars.

At that point, you're locked out of your own machine with a hard drive that's unrecoverable.

The boot scan from AVG or Avast antivirus is successful in finding a few nasty Possibly Unwanted Programs. The free version available to boot scan will most
likely find something. Norton & Mcafee usually does not find a thing. To clear your throat, AdwCleaner.exe. Before Malwarebytes made it a Malwarebytes brand it was very effective. You could be on the Interneat with an ARAB search string in your browser. Another universe where the phone company and all legitimate companies go bad with ringing bells and red banners. You could be on the Interneat for years and no one tells you.
What... the hell did I just (try to) read?

Back