Windows 11 God Mode

TechLarry

RIP [H] Brother - June 1, 2022
For the 70% of you that don't know about this, or have forgotten about it over the years... You WANT this, Every system preference at your fingertips:

https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/enable-god-mode-windows-11

I find it best viewed in Tile Mode. Here is a small sample of the output:

1634719702089.png

Last edited:
OR. Or... you can get with the times and just press Win + start typing what ever you want. In your example screenshot, every one of those comes up quickly this way. No need for janky icon(s) on your desktop.

OR. Or... you can get with the times and just press Win + start typing what ever you want. In your example screenshot, every one of those comes up quickly this way. No need for janky icon(s) on your desktop.

That works if you know or remember exactly where that thing you want was. Having icons in front of you may help to jog your memory. I am a visual person myself anyway, I prefer icons and shortcut links.

That works if you know or remember exactly where that thing you want was. Having icons in front of you may help to jog your memory. I am a visual person myself anyway, I prefer icons and shortcut links.
No? The beauty of it is exactly not having to remember WHERE anything is. You simply type the word of the thing you want. Power. Certificate. Sound. ODBC. Events. User. Credential. And so on.

No? The beauty of it is exactly not having to remember WHERE anything is. You simply type the word of the thing you want. Power. Certificate. Sound. ODBC. Events. User. Credential. And so on.
I use that function heavily myself. How I launch anything these days. However I don't think you're catching what MaZa is saying. If you have an idea of what you want but can't remember the name for whatever reason, a visual aid can be useful.

Same here, also since Microsoft likes to move and rename stuff having this long list is very helpful! Now if I can find a way to get them on my start menu as there is no obvious way I see to do that?

MS also sucks about the start search for no good reason.

You can't tell me that appwiz.cp finds 0 hits but appwiz.cpl finds it due to limitations in technology.
People at different levels use Windows in different ways, shouldn't be pushed in to one method. I use the start search but if people want icons whatever!

MS also sucks about the start search for no good reason.

You can't tell me that appwiz.cp finds 0 hits but appwiz.cpl finds it due to limitations in technology.
People at different levels use Windows in different ways, shouldn't be pushed in to one method. I use the start search but if people want icons whatever!
everything app will do search like it's supposed to work on windows.

Def can be useful if that's the method you're used to- I still often prefer clicking something to searching for it, so I get it.

This should be rare, but one thing to note, I would avoid or be careful doing this on enterprise/corporate-level machines, especially if you use any antiquated business applications that require Java be installed. I've run into issues with god-mode shortcuts in these scenarios and I think it has to do with Java's "file picker" ("Browse..." buttons and the like) not liking the shortcuts. Also had issues where users had linked various PC locations to one another (shortcut to Documents on Desktop, and shortcut on Desktop to Documents) and that threw Java for a loop, literally- an endless one :eek: :D

yes, but BSOD and Replace with Linux didn't work. So, this can be improved.

How is having to remember the exact term necessary to find someone better than having to remember the general path to the settings, where you can browse and refresh the memory? Most people who need settings have never used them before and there for can't search for it.

How is having to remember the exact term necessary to find someone better than having to remember the general path to the settings, where you can browse and refresh the memory? Most people who need settings have never used them before and there for can't search for it.
You just start typing the name of whatever you're trying to do. "Oh, I want to change my background? Let me start typing background... oh I got through `bac` and there's the setting I want." .. "I want to change my power settings? Ok I start typing pow... there it is".

I also find it hilarious that you, of all people with your constant defending of *nix OSes (which absolutely require you to remember commands) to be defending having a ton of icons hanging around xD You do you lol

You just start typing the name of whatever you're trying to do. "Oh, I want to change my background? Let me start typing background... oh I got through `bac` and there's the setting I want." .. "I want to change my power settings? Ok I start typing pow... there it is".

I also find it hilarious that you, of all people with your constant defending of *nix OSes (which absolutely require you to remember commands) to be defending having a ton of icons hanging around xD You do you lol
Not icons, clear menu structures. Those are available in linux, you just don't know it because you have no experience of it. Even on file level, all settings are in clear configuration files in standard locations on *nix unlike the cluster fuck of Windows registry / gui.

Not icons, clear menu structures. Those are available in linux, you just don't know it because you have no experience of it. Even on file level, all settings are in clear configuration files in standard locations on *nix unlike the cluster fuck of Windows registry / gui.
Er, I have a ton of linux experience haha. It's my daily driver at home and every machine at work runs Debian on the metal. Nice strawman attack though, 3/10 try again.

Er, I have a ton of linux experience haha. It's my daily driver at home and every machine at work runs Debian on the metal. Nice strawman attack though, 3/10 try again.
That's pretty hard to believe considering you didn't know about the typical menu structure in most common desktop environments. Or if you did, you just wanted to troll, which your text seems to indicate.

That's pretty hard to believe considering you didn't know about the typical menu structure in most common desktop environments. Or if you did, you just wanted to troll, which your text seems to indicate.
I do know about it. It's just off topic to the point I made.
You said people need icons to remember how to function and change settings. My counter point was two parts, which is probably why you got lost. Here they are:
1) It's just as easy to think about what you're attempting and type the word in the search and get to the appropriate setting. I provided two examples in my reply to you, and several others earlier in this thread. Please review those.
2) It's funny that you made the comment you did, considering that even by your own admission here in this thread, in linux you need to know commands, locations, and how to edit .conf files for some common configurations, not rely on icons and GUIs.

As for my personal use of linux (and windows), I don't use menus much - pretty much all command line as much as I can. In windows I live in Terminal, in Linux either Terminal or I'm ssh'd in (though the server fleet is ansible/AWX managed for the most part).

I do know about it. It's just off topic to the point I made.
You said people need icons to remember how to function and change settings. My counter point was two parts, which is probably why you got lost. Here they are:
1) It's just as easy to think about what you're attempting and type the word in the search and get to the appropriate setting. I provided two examples in my reply to you, and several others earlier in this thread. Please review those.
2) It's funny that you made the comment you did, considering that even by your own admission here in this thread, in linux you need to know commands, locations, and how to edit .conf files for some common configurations, not rely on icons and GUIs.

As for my personal use of linux (and windows), I don't use menus much - pretty much all command line as much as I can. In windows I live in Terminal, in Linux either Terminal or I'm ssh'd in (though the server fleet is ansible/AWX managed for the most part).
Don't put words in my mouth. I never said anything about icons, they are totally useless. But a clear menu structure which logically guides a user to settings is crucial for a good user experience. And I repeat, a modern linux desktop user has no need to edit conf files manually unless he does something advanced. Windows is sabotaging user experience by constantly moving and changing things for no reason. One good example was the network setup in win10 which in addition to changing the button location for the menu, asked for the subnet netmask prefix length instead of the netmask itself which used to be the norm (and is again moved but set back again to netmask instead of the prefix length in win11 ironically).

Can't believe I booted into Win10 for this, but, from what I can tell you can easily enter the subnet mask itself still in Win10 if you aren't capable of doing simple math to enter the CIDR:
1638513720703.png

It's in the exact same spot as it was in Win 7, 8, 8.1. Not gonna boot into WIn11 to check there.

Literally took pressing Win key, type "netw", hit enter, right click the adapter, click Properties. Same place it's always been. Do you even use the OS?

Late night edit to add:
Navigating to that setting in Win10 is the same as it was in Win7/8. Open control panel (however you want to). Go to Network and Sharing. Click Change Adapter Settings. Right click and hit properties.

It's truly not difficult at all. Yes there's a 2nd, new path to get to common settings, but the "old" path is still right where it's been. If anything, it's improved because there's multiple, valid methods to get to the same place and edit the same things. Pick the one that works for you - the one that's been there a decade, or the new one. Or better yet, do it all through powershell and rid yourself the need of menus and icons entirely.

Last edited:
I like win+type. I've been using this since 7, and use it on 10 now.
Problem: localization. A PL version of Windows 10 comes with an annoyingly high number of clunky or utterly inaccurate translations of various keywords and descriptions.
Thankfully, you can still type English phrases and it will react and find them, but not Polish phrases.
Back when Windows wasn't a rolling release, the translations were consistent and pretty good. But in 10 the accuracy went down noticeably.
Godmode has me hunting for icons on screen, and I end up typing anyway. It's a nice gesture from MS, though.

I like win+type. I've been using this since 7, and use it on 10 now.
Problem: localization. A PL version of Windows 10 comes with an annoyingly high number of clunky or utterly inaccurate translations of various keywords and descriptions.
Thankfully, you can still type English phrases and it will react and find them, but not Polish phrases.
Back when Windows wasn't a rolling release, the translations were consistent and pretty good. But in 10 the accuracy went down noticeably.
Godmode has me hunting for icons on screen, and I end up typing anyway. It's a nice gesture from MS, though.
That's unfortunate to hear. I've used the German localization, but I'm not a native German speaker so often used English to get where I wanted to go. I wonder if it's possible to put together a community effort to enhance the localization?

That's unfortunate to hear. I've used the German localization, but I'm not a native German speaker so often used English to get where I wanted to go. I wonder if it's possible to put together a community effort to enhance the localization?
Well, I don't know how they work on that i18n now, but I'm a bit pessimistic about this part of any project.
I'm a translator myself, and the number one problem is always context. Translators get a JSON file or are permitted to join a i18n project via Pontoon, Crowdin or some other similar software.

What they usually don't get is access to the nitty-gritty devs, and more technical questions end up on a list you send in to a localization project manager and they act as a middleman between those in the know and us clueless.
I've been avoiding PL versions of many programs for the last 2 years, because the agile way of doing things exacerbates those problems.

Here's a nice gem from Gimp: "Goat exercise" in the Filters menu. This should not be translated, as it's some inside joke referring to:
"Goat" is a reference to GEGL having joking alternative meaning,
(...)which shows how to do a simple GEGL thing (linear color inversion),
Genetically Engineered Goat Large and a correspondent five-legged semi-mascot.
The translator doesn't usually know these things (especially in community projects, where there is no financial incentive to dig deeper) and we ended up with "ćwiczenie kozy" which is pretty much useless.

Well, I don't know how they work on that i18n now, but I'm a bit pessimistic about this part of any project.
I'm a translator myself, and the number one problem is always context. Translators get a JSON file or are permitted to join a i18n project via Pontoon, Crowdin or some other similar software.

What they usually don't get is access to the nitty-gritty devs, and more technical questions end up on a list you send in to a localization project manager and they act as a middleman between those in the know and us clueless.
I've been avoiding PL versions of many programs for the last 2 years, because the agile way of doing things exacerbates those problems.

Here's a nice gem from Gimp: "Goat exercise" in the Filters menu. This should not be translated, as it's some inside joke referring to:

(...)which shows how to do a simple GEGL thing (linear color inversion),

The translator doesn't usually know these things (especially in community projects, where there is no financial incentive to dig deeper) and we ended up with "ćwiczenie kozy" which is pretty much useless.
I imagine you're correct on all accounts. That example really helps shed the light, too. Thank you for taking the time to further explain! I know a couple projects I worked on, we did the "hand JSON around" for localization, though I wasn't involved directly in that bit. It's good to hear that there are shortcomings in that, in case I do get roped into it.

Can't believe I booted into Win10 for this, but, from what I can tell you can easily enter the subnet mask itself still in Win10 if you aren't capable of doing simple math to enter the CIDR:
View attachment 418037

It's in the exact same spot as it was in Win 7, 8, 8.1. Not gonna boot into WIn11 to check there.

Literally took pressing Win key, type "netw", hit enter, right click the adapter, click Properties. Same place it's always been. Do you even use the OS?

Late night edit to add:
Navigating to that setting in Win10 is the same as it was in Win7/8. Open control panel (however you want to). Go to Network and Sharing. Click Change Adapter Settings. Right click and hit properties.

It's truly not difficult at all. Yes there's a 2nd, new path to get to common settings, but the "old" path is still right where it's been. If anything, it's improved because there's multiple, valid methods to get to the same place and edit the same things. Pick the one that works for you - the one that's been there a decade, or the new one. Or better yet, do it all through powershell and rid yourself the need of menus and icons entirely.
Heh, this is just an example of the cluster fuck Windows is. The old GUI is still lurking in the background and can be found if you access it from a different menu. This is the new version:
1638542769388.png

Heh, this is just an example of the cluster fuck Windows is. The old GUI is still lurking in the background and can be found if you access it from a different menu. This is the new version:
It's not a "different" menu. IT'S THE SAME MENU IN THE SAME PLACE IT'S BEEN SINCE AT LEAST WIN 7.

All caps to help you understand since you apparently still don't.

And OMG NO the absolute horror of having to know CIDR format!

Oh, wait. Netplan also uses CIDR formatting. Your own beloved OS platform. Guess you're screwed out of networking entirely since it's such a difficult thing for you :)

It's not a "different" menu. IT'S THE SAME MENU IN THE SAME PLACE IT'S BEEN SINCE AT LEAST WIN 7.

All caps to help you understand since you apparently still don't.

And OMG NO the absolute horror of having to know CIDR format!

Oh, wait. Netplan also uses CIDR formatting. Your own beloved OS platform. Guess you're screwed out of networking entirely since it's such a difficult thing for you :)
Nice save attempt on Microsoft introducing new and old GUI in the same OS, confusing the shit out of end users. Netplan is either on or off, not two methods in the same version.

Nice save attempt on Microsoft introducing new and old GUI in the same OS, confusing the shit out of end users. Netplan is either on or off, not two methods in the same version.
No but with netplan you can edit the file or use network manager to edit the settings. OH NO TWO WAYS TO DO THE SAME THING. Look out!

No but with netplan you can edit the file or use network manager to edit the settings. OH NO TWO WAYS TO DO THE SAME THING. Look out!
B00nie is highlighting that the UI is a shitty mishmash of both a desktop UI and a touch UI, as a result it doubles up on elements and the new UI makes very poor use of screen real estate due to the fact Microsoft want you to use your PC like a tablet.

Essentially, no one liked the Windows 8 UI, so MS decided that this time they'd just ease people into it hoping they wouldn't notice; by the looks of things, in certain cases it appears to be working.

View attachment 418037

Late night edit to add:

*ACKSHUALLY*

You used to be able to right click the networking icon in the system tray, and easily access network and sharing center (In versions before W10), M$ removed that feature from 10 and now you would either need to go through the control panel, or the new network settings application.

I use classic shell to add a button to the start menu that brings me to network and sharing center, not quite as clean and quick as the older method, but its much faster and easier than the modern method.

Back