Windows 11 available on October 5

So, my XPS 9360 with the i7-7k series processor still shows not compatible with Windows 11. I had the dev running on it till I reinstalled 10 to get the full release and now it won't let me. I thought they said the 7 series was allowed to work, but guess not. Ugh.

There are only a select few 7th gen CPUs supported. You can check this list:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...pported/windows-11-supported-intel-processors

I'm guessing your PC isn't on the list, so you can do this registry tweak to get past the check.
https://www.theverge.com/22715331/h...11-unsupported-cpu-intel-amd-registry-regedit

However, Microsoft has said they might not support your PC if it's not approved, although the most recent Windows Update did in fact work on unsupported PCs.

Is Windows 11 worth upgrading to right now ?
There's not any big new amazing features, but the interface does look nicer and generally it feels more modern.

So far everything seems to work, it's basically Windows 10 with a coat of paint. I don't see any reason not to at least try it.

There's not any big new amazing features, but the interface does look nicer and generally it feels more modern.

So far everything seems to work, it's basically Windows 10 with a coat of paint. I don't see any reason not to at least try it.

Thank you!

dont judge the performance based on a vm, they are known to run like crap at the moment.

I won't but it runs really well on my NVMe drive VM! I am guessing because of being on such a fast SSD drive.

Though I mainly running it on a VM to see the new GUI and how everything works! Plus so I don't have to wait for my current Windows 10 install to do the whole process easier to just do a fresh Windows 11 install to see the new GUI in my opinion.

So far it is ok. Not sure if I like it. I know in 4 years I will be forced to upgrade but that is fine.

Yeah, you can stay on 10 if you like. You are not missing much. I think about the only reason that would be worthwhile is the Auto-HDR for games, but I haven't tried it yet.

And the WSL2 for running Linux is improved, you can run full Linux GUI apps (but I don't know why you'd want to since mostly all the best Linux GUI apps are cross-platform).

Otherwise it is mostly a visual thing, but the new design is welcome.

Yeah, you can stay on 10 if you like. You are not missing much. I think about the only reason that would be worthwhile is the Auto-HDR for games, but I haven't tried it yet.

And the WSL2 for running Linux is improved, you can run full Linux GUI apps (but I don't know why you'd want to since mostly all the best Linux GUI apps are cross-platform).

Otherwise it is mostly a visual thing, but the new design is welcome.
It also has some other technical upgrades, but nothing that matters right now. Supposedly DirectStorage will be better in Windows 11, since it has changes necessary to fully implement it. So while 10 gets it it won't be as good supposedly. Also Windows 11 has a new scheduler the source of some consternation, at the moment, that will be needed to properly support new processors. Also at some point it is getting the ability to run android apps.

Nothing big and there is no need to rush to upgrade unless you are testing it (I am since I work in IT). However it also seems to work well so upgrading is not a big deal. It isn't a XP to Vista kind of change where everything is different and you need new drivers and shit. It is a Windows 2000 to XP change where there are some minor improvements, mostly visual, and it all works basically the same.

Right. As far as I can tell, everything still works, so it's not like there is a huge danger to upgrading.

And the small issues that are there (like with AMD CPUs) will be fixed soon.

Anyone who has been on Windows 10 won't be in for any sort of shock with Windows 11. It's mostly the same. Then again, I guess anyone who had been using Windows 98 was in the same situation with Windows Me. Time will tell with Windows 11. I like the new stylized look, but they didn't really add much. Auto-HDR and the hope of eventually being able to run Android apps. At the same time, they gimped the taskbar in quite a few ways. It's a step forward visually, but a step back functionally. A few years ago I would have assumed they would eventually fix the gripes everyone has. I'm not so sure anymore. The MS of today isn't even the MS from a couple years ago. It's almost funny to read the responses to various Windows 11 issues from their management team. It's very much "I'm sorry, not my call, I can't say anything more about this."

Is Windows 11 worth upgrading to right now ?
not for AM4 people ......yet.....after they fix AMD performance loss/intel performance Gain with coming patch then yes but this has not happen just yet

you test it? does it really work? cause i got massive performance loss with 11
i think its actually for the beta channel, public is supposed to be on tues.
im not sure if it did actually fix it, 'cause im not paying for aida64 to test it. i honestly didnt see/feel any difference with it "broken".

i think its actually for the beta channel, public is supposed to be on tues.
im not sure if it did actually fix it, 'cause im not paying for aida64 to test it. i honestly didnt see/feel any difference with it "broken".
I installed it on the Dev version and it seems to have fixed the L3 cache issue.

I think about the only reason that would be worthwhile is the Auto-HDR for games, but I haven't tried it yet.
ive only tried it with pga 2k21 so far but i THINK it works, the game does look better but there is no indicator if its kicked on or not, theres supposedly a list of "supported" games....

I installed it on the Dev version and it seems to have fixed the L3 cache issue.
is there a free version of aida64 that does the mem testing? i d/led the trial but it covers everything up, basically useless as a trial. or are you guys testing it buying aida?

is there a free version of aida64 that does the mem testing? i d/led the trial but it covers everything up, basically useless as a trial. or are you guys testing it buying aida?
my cinebench20 scores were below a 1700x before the fix.....they seem to be back to normal now.....gonna test 23 and see how it goes

Yeah, I bought aida. The trial is mostly worthless for good data.

This thread so far

SmartSelect_20211017-082325_Chrome.jpg

There are only a select few 7th gen CPUs supported. You can check this list:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...pported/windows-11-supported-intel-processors

I'm guessing your PC isn't on the list, so you can do this registry tweak to get past the check.
https://www.theverge.com/22715331/h...11-unsupported-cpu-intel-amd-registry-regedit

However, Microsoft has said they might not support your PC if it's not approved, although the most recent Windows Update did in fact work on unsupported PCs.
Yeah, its the i7-7560U and doesn't seem listed. Will try the reg hack.

Don't like the phased rollout. I don't even see it on a Surface Pro.

Also I have a HTPC with no TPM which is annoying. Hopefully I can get my hands on a TPM-less version of Windows when it comes out for the China etc.

Yeah, its the i7-7560U and doesn't seem listed. Will try the reg hack.

Don't like the phased rollout. I don't even see it on a Surface Pro.

Also I have a HTPC with no TPM which is annoying. Hopefully I can get my hands on a TPM-less version of Windows when it comes out for the China etc.
just install it via the iso and accept the "warning"

So, my XPS 9360 with the i7-7k series processor still shows not compatible with Windows 11. I had the dev running on it till I reinstalled 10 to get the full release and now it won't let me. I thought they said the 7 series was allowed to work, but guess not. Ugh.
7 work if installed from an ISO, but is not offered the upgrade. But your better off Intel series 4-7 lack some features so win 11 software emulates them and tanks performance by as much as 20% if you encounter a scenario that requires them.

Back